Quiet Rooms in NYC?

Jan 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Quiet Rooms in NYC?

The older I get, the more easily noises awaken me. Earplugs do help, but can y'all vouch for some quiet NYC hotel rooms? It would be cumbersome to search them one by one for the "paper-thin walls" element.

We are looking at spending $300-ish in the Midtown area in March, three couples. Thanks so much. Love NYC but would love to get a good night's sleep there for the first time in a handful of visits.

BTW, it's not normally the traffic noise that bothers us, but the hallway/stomping/baby screaming kind of noise. Thanks!
Jan 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM

We loved the Sofitel. Didn't hear any hallway noise.
hint: ask for a room at the end of the hall - that helps since no one will be walking past your door.

Deb
Jan 11th, 2009, 07:24 PM

Well, I have stayed in a couple of dozen hotels in NYC and most were pretty quiet. The biggest problem I have is the 4am trash truck!
I used to travel with a sound machine, now I use my laptop which has a better looping sound.
I could never sleep through the night without the white noise.
Earplugs itch so bad ... and I have tried all types, all materials.
It is actually harder for me to think of any really unusually loud hotels that I have stayed at. I mean, a really quiet hotel can get an obnoxious guest who slams doors and talks loud in the middle of the night.
The Benjamin and the Millenium UN Plaza are both very quiet.

The Millenium is also a bargain... ask for a new room up high. The views are spectacular!!!!
Jan 12th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Some good deals on travelzoo.com for March. The Affinia Dumont and Affinia 50 are both very nice suite hotels in midtown. Higher floors are very quiet. With your budget you could get 1 bedroom suites or safe some money for shopping.

The W hotels have a promotion with American Express for 3 nights for the price of 2. The W Court and W Tuscany are pretty quiet hotels.

Wherever you stay, avoid rooms near the elevator.
Jan 12th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Every large city has a certain amount of ambient noise. If you're supersensitie I suggest you pick a room on a high floor not near any elevators, closets, staff rooms etc.

And I assume the $300 is per couple - not for all 6 people - for which you would definitely need a suite at a higher price than that.
Jan 12th, 2009, 08:56 AM

i have a hard time sleeping in new surroundings especially in n.y. which is awake 24/7.
when making my reservations i have always requested
"a quiet room away from street, elevator and housekeeping noise please"
then, i follow up with a phone call to the front desk the morning of arrival with the same request.
invariably, they secure a quiet room for me before my arrival.
i have yet to be disappointed.
Jan 12th, 2009, 11:10 AM

I've never had my sleep interrupted at the Hilton on Avenue of the Americas. Great mid-town location too.
Jan 15th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

GREAT tips, y'all! I can always count on you guys.

I esp like the "phone ahead and then follow up the morning of arrival" tip. I always ask for a room away from the elevator, but it IS those slamming doors and noisy hall guests and babies crying at 6am that get to me. The bathroom where we were staying didn't have a fan, which would have provided white noise. I like the sound machine/laptop loop noise idea too.

Thanks for your help.

And for the tips on the hotel deals too, mcclaire.

(yeah, i meant $300 per room, not for the entire group)

Search this Thread