Quick trip to Hawaii

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick trip to Hawaii

I have a few days in which to put together a trip to the main island. I am thinking about staying at the Aston Coral Reef hotel. I want a place that is clean, not too old and near good outside restaurants. Anyone stayed there? I am not a beach person so do not want to pay the price for the view.

Is it cheaper to buy passes for the Arizona monument here or there? Any other tips appreciated!!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 12:30 PM

The Arizona Memorial is free. Tickets must be obtained in person the day you visit.

The Aston Coral Reef is located on busy, somewhat-seedy Kuhio Ave, about 1-2 blocks from Waikiki Beach. Kuhio Ave is not a scenic street and the Coral Reef is probably of the "one star" quality. So don't be expecting anything fancy; it will be very basic, no frills. It's an easy walk to anywhere in Waikiki from this location.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

The Arizona Memorial is free. Tickets must be obtained in person the day you visit.

This is interesting as one of the sites I was looking at said it was a $22 option. Would that have been a tour they were pushing?
Can you recommend another hotel that would be in a better location but not too pricy?
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 09:02 PM

The Arizona tour probably included another attraction, like the Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl, also free, What you are paying for is the transportation.
Try the Best Western Plaza Hotel:
http://www.bestwesternhonolulu.com/
rates at travelocity $90 night (you get what you pay for).
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 09:07 PM

Also stayed at the Ohana Waikiki Village, Hotel was old, pool was small, rooms were clean & near many restaurants on Lewers Street, Pay $9 night for parking. Lots of bars on this street, can be noisy at night when bars let out. Expedia $78 night.