Questions for Budget Queen

Sep 17th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Questions for Budget Queen

Hi,
Have enjoyed your comments on Alaska, so have a few questions for you. We will be in Alaska in July, 2004. We are taking a northbound inside passage cruise from Vancouver to Seward. Our ship will dock in Seward on a Wed morning. There are six of us that plan on extending our trip through Sun in order to visit Denali. I was thinking of renting a car from Hertz in Seward. I've checked with them and they could get us a van (6 people plus all our luggage) but the cost is around $900 for Wed-Sun. Seems like alot. Was considering renting two full size cars if cheaper. Was planning on spending Wed night in the Seward area to see the Kenai peninsula and then on Thurs driving up to Denali, staying outside the park for Thurs and Fri nights. Would do the shuttle into the park on Fri. Would head back to Anchorage on Sat seeing the sights and staying near the airport as we will fly out Sunday. I'll probably try to get a hotel on Priceline for Anchorage. I guess I'm wondering where to stay in the Seward area and outside of Denali. We don't want to have to "mortgage the house" to stay. Just clean, comfortable rooms. Not really into B & B's either. Would consider cabins if it would have three bedrooms. Any suggestions? And feel free to let me know if I'm missing something. Any insight on the car rental thing too. Thanks for your help!
Pam
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:01 PM

Obviously I'm not BQ, but we had a group of 8 people on our NB Cruise and we rented a SUV and car from Seward Hertz for one-day in Seward, drove to ANC, dropped excess luggage off at the Sheraton for storage, then went to the Anchorage airport and exchanged the expensive Hertz vehicles for 2 cheaper cars for our drive up to Denali. We returned to ANC and checked in to the Sheraton (Priceline $42 pn/per room) and of course collected our luggage from storage at that point. Make your car reservations NOW to get the best rates. I reserved our cars last September for our cruise this August and was able to get
full-size for $170 for 5-days.
Sep 18th, 2003, 04:06 AM

I always rent my one way Seward/Anchorage car for only one day. I then always get a cheap round trip Anchorage rental. But KEEP checking prices, I just paid $129+/week with Alamo on a web promotion, so early bookings don't necessarily yeild the best prices. Another option may be the rail??? Great scenery that is superior to the Seward Highway, and with a round trip Anchorage car rental, you could still drive Turnagain arm which is the most scenic portion. As for Denali Park- there are several large lodging areas, but also consider Touch of Wilderness in Healy- yes a B&B but an ideal location and big enough for your group, you would like it. If you go the rail route, consider the cheap Ramada Inn who has free rail depot and airport shuttle- a bargain, nothing special but the price is right.
Sep 18th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your suggestions! I'll be sure to check out both options on the rental cars. I'll also check out the B & B you suggested BQ. In your opinion is the rail route the better way to go and the most economical?
Pam
Sep 19th, 2003, 03:55 AM

The rail route is generally not the best bargain. But consider purchasing a toursaver book if you do go this route- sometimes 2 for one package deal. As for the route, the most scenic portion of the rail, in my opinion is the Seward-Anchorage portion. The 8 hour Anchorage - Denali Park section gets stale for me- especially if McKinley is not visable- scenery is OK but very similar to the Park Highway- only a lot slower. With the rail you will need one of the close by lodging that offer shuttles.
Sep 19th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks BudgetQueen! I think we'll stick with the rental car and not worry about the train as it will give us more flexibility. I've also emailed the Touch of Wilderness B & B to see if they have availibility - looks like a very nice place. Thanks again for your help!
And thanks also to Chris!
Pam

Search this Thread