COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Pre-cruise advice

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Pre-cruise advice

We are taking the 7 day Glacier Discovery cruise on Holland America from Seward in August and want to spend 2 days, 2 nights in Denali Park beforehand. We are aware of HA's packages but were hoping to do this on our own. We will fly into Anchorage but don't know who to contact for train to park and shuttle bus back. Also, how do we arrange for bus tour within the park and accommodations while there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We can only spend 4-5 days prior to the cruise. Anything else we would time to do? Thank you.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:28 PM

I replied via email, but with the further info of your time, I would strongly consider a rental car. It will make far greater use of your limited time especially if you are also including travel days??? You will only have time for the drive up to Denali Park - stay at least 2 nights here, allow a night in Anchorage and perhaps a night in Seward or Talkeetna. I gave you the web sites and information- www.nps.gov/dena for SHUTTLE info to Eielson and the Alaska RR site. I recommend a round trip car rental from Anchorage and the rail to Seward.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Budget Queen. Unfortunately, we only have 4 days before the cruise, 1 day traveling into Denali Park, 2 nights there and then last night in Seward. There will be 6 of us, so we probably won't rent cars. So, I'm trying to make the best of the limited time we have.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Hi maryvh,
We rented a van in Anchorage for 6 of us and drove to Denali post cruise. We had too much luggage to fit with all of us in the van so we simply dropped off a few bags at the hotel we were staying in the last night before we flew home. Worked great. We had also looked at taking the train, etc. and it worked much better having a vehicle of our own so we could come and go as we pleased. I did post a trip report so you should be able to click on my name and find my report. Good luck in planning. BudgetQueen will be a great help to you. Pam
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Do you realize that by road Denali Park is about a 9 hour drive to Seward? By rail forget it in one day- as mentioned you won't arrive via rail until 8pm at night from Denali Park. You need to make some hard decisions. I never recommend a schedule so transit intense, strongly consider the rental van- it will make far better use of your time, otherwise skip Denali Park this time and perhaps consider heading to Talkeetna via rail for 2 days- take McKinley flights then a night in Anchorage and Seward.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

How does this sound? Arrive in Anchorage Wednesday night. Take shuttle to Seward on Thursday morning and pick up rental van. I understand it is about a 3 1/2 hour ride to Seward. Drive to Denali and spend the night. Take morning shuttle bus in Denali and drive back to Seward on Saturday morning. Cruise leaves Sunday morning.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 04:17 AM

You need to look at a map. Seward is south of Anchorage and Denali Park is north. It makes no sense to drive to Seward to pick up a van??? Anyway- UNLESS you rent from Hertz- which doesn't have vans that I know of??, it is the only rental in Seward. You are going to have to rent round trip Anchorage. Depending on your flight arrival- perhaps you can get to Talkeetna the first day? Then Denali Park day 2, shuttle bus into Denali Park day 3, back to Anchorage day 4, then train to Seward.
Again for clairfication- by driving- you are looking at about 9 hours on the road with stops from Denali Park to Seward. Allow 6 hours for Denali Park- Anchorage.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 05:13 AM

maryvh,
Here's my 2 cents worth.
Arrive Anchorage Wed night - rent van round trip
(Depending on arrival time) Drive to Denali (approx 3hrs)
Thurs am - Shuttle into Denali Park
Thurs night - either stay in the Denali area or drive as far as Talketna
or however far you feel is comfortable to drive
Friday - return rental car in Anchorage and catch the train to Seward.
Saturday - Seward
Sunday - cruise
Hope this helps. Pam
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 09:28 AM

For clarification - it is NOT 3 hours Anchorge to Denali Park. And for first timers I would allow 6 hours with stops.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Oops......My apologies. BudgetQueen is right - would be at least that long if you stop along the way. Just shooting from the hip again - gets me in trouble every time.