Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel Recommendations for Alaska (Denali, Kenai)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
First of all, thanks in advance for your help.

My wife and I (early 30's) are going to Alaska this summer (early July). We are splitting our time between Denali and the Kenai peninsula. We plan to rent a car to drive to these places. I have the following questions, if you have any recommendations:

Denali:
-How long should we spend in the Denali area? Our plan is to stay outside the park. We are basic outdoors people: we like hiking, being outdoors, and different activities, but no activities too rigorous. Based on this, how long is good?
-Where should we stay in Denali? We'd like a decent hotel or B&B. We're staying outside the park. Can be moderately priced? Any place that you've stayed that was really good?
-What other activities are there to do outside the park (if we don't want to trek into the park one day)?

Kenai Peninsula:
-How long should we spend in the Kenai Peninsula area, assuming that we want to get a good feel for the region, relax some and take in some sights/activities? We're flexible on time.
-What towns would be good to stay in on the Kenai peninsula? What hotels or B&B's in these towns would be good to stay at? Again, we're looking for something good at a moderate price?
-What activities would you recommend while on the Kenai Peninsula? Fishing? A boat tour? Kayaking? We like to be outdoors and hike, but we're not hardcore.

Renting a Car:
Our plan right now is to rent a car and drive to Denali and Kenai. I figure this will give us the most flexibility, but I'm open to suggestions. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for any suggestions you have.

Adam
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 03:50 AM

Yes you definately need a rental car with a round trip Anchorage car offering the best option. Plenty of venders to choose from. I recommend at 2 nights near Denali Park- more if you are into hiking. You will want one full day for the Park Shuttle bus. I have stayed at Touch of Wilderness B&B many times, just consistantly excellent. I would recommend a night in Talkeetna, worthwhile area- don't miss breakfast at the Roadhouse. I always stay at the Roadhouse in the upstairs rooms, but not for everyone. Budget a day for Anchorage- great city full of touring options. I would plan on at least 2 days each Homer and Seward. Plenty to do in each with a must do, Northwestern Fjord boat tour out of Seward. Take precautions is prone to seasickness, I see sick passengers EVERY trip. Again plenty of excellent B&B's in both areas with my only bad Alaska experience at the Ocean Front in Seward which I never recommend. Request each city's visitor guide and the Kenai Peninsula visitor guide. A necessary reference is also the MILEPOST, purchase a new copy after 3-05.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 03:51 AM

Research fully Denali Park= www.nps.gov/dena
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:53 AM

www.earthsonglodge.com Take a look at this place in the Denali area. It was mentioned in Lonely Planet and I got some feedback on this site that it was nice. My trip is Sept 2006, so I would appreciate it if you would post a trip report. We are hikers and good food lovers. If you find something special please let me know about it.
Thanks.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM

We are also an active couple in our early thirties and we did a similar itinerary last summer. If you go back to posts from last July/August you should still find our trip report.

I'll second BudgetQueen's recommendation for Touch of Wilderness in the Denali area. The Chocolate Drop Inn in Homer is also a very nice and reasonably priced B&B with a great view.