six days on land before cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if it's too much to go to Denali and the Kenai Peninsula in that six days. We would like the opportunity to explore the Peninsula... right now if we don't go to Denali am thinking of renting a car in Anchorage and driving down to Seward and then keeping the car to take trips in that area and return car in Seward before cruise. If we go to Denali it feels like a lot of back tracking... I am also traveling with my partner who physically can't handle a crazy travel schedule. Am I giving up a lot if I pass on Denali. We are thinking of going mid-June. thanks for your advice.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:21 AM

I'm, a pack as much in as possible kind of traveler, but if you're not and your parnter has limitations, do skip Denali.

Even if you tried to squeeze it in there are at a minimum of four heavy travel days in the six: 1) up to Denali, 2) in Denali 3) back to Anchorage, 4) down to the KP. Denali's also a little better later in the season.

You might consider a day in Anchorage and possibly a flight-seeing trip out of there.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:11 PM

I would have to agree that you would be better off not trying to squeeze in a visit to Denali, especially given your situation with your traveling partner.

There is plenty to see on the Kenai Peninsula to fill up five or six days. The mountains, glaciers, and rivers here are all some of the most beautiful in all of Alaska.

http://www.alaska-cruise-advisor.com...peninsula.html

Seward has a lot to see and do, including fun stores, museums, outdoor activities, and the Alaska SeaLife Center.

http://www.alaska-cruise-advisor.com/seward.html

Homer is another beautiful little waterfront town with plenty to see, with cute stores, restaurants, and an incredible natural setting.

http://www.alaska-cruise-advisor.com/homer-alaska.html

You can also take a day cruise - the best way to see the amazing Kenai Fjords National Park. These cruises are run out of Seward.

Setting aside a day to see Anchorage can also be a good idea, since there is much to see in and around the city.

In any case, I doubt you will regret concentrating on the Kenai area, as this will give you time to actually enjoy Alaska up close, rather than feeling rushed.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 03:08 AM

We have skipped Denali, maybe "next" trip. Going north from Anchorage to Denali, the scenery is nice, even better if you can see the mountain, but south of Anchorage, the scenery is fantastic. North of Anchorage, however, we really enjoyed Independence Mine. You could do it as a day trip from Anchorage. I think you can see and do a lot more on the KP in less miles, although it will still be a lot of driving.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 04:14 AM

My opinion, you can do Denali Park and Seward in your timeframe. I suggest a one way car, although costly, makes the best use of time, or the Alaska RR.

As a sample itinerary, Head to Denali Park 2 over nights, Talkeetna 1 overnight. Anchorage, 1 night Seward 1 night. If you don't want to overnight in Talkeetna, do 2 nights in Homer then continue on to Seward. With only one overnight, you have plenty of time for a Kenai Fjords boat trip, then board your ship in the evening- don't be in a rush to get on your ship.

You are not doing a lot of "backtracking" by adding Denali Park, this is a top highlight of Alaska tourism, but on you can decide what you want out of your trip??

Request the Kenai Peninsula visitor guide www.kenaipeninsula.com as well as each area's visitor guide. Should help you narrow down your interests.