Honeymoon in Alaska

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in Alaska

We are planning to be in Anchorage for a week in September this year for our Honeymoon. This being our first time in Alaska, we are looking for some suggestion as to places to visit and things to do in and around Anchorage. We are in interested in 1-2 day cruises and was not aware if such a thing is offered. And the rest of the time we want to drive and visit places and relax.

Your inputs are much appreciated.

Thanks,

An
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 11:39 AM

If you do a search you will find a wealth of info, most very recent.

For that short a period, I'd spend all my time on the Kenai Peninsula. It has the best scenery, the coast, and an assortment of things to do--cruising, fishing, hiking, bear watching.

Get out of Anchorage unless you just like hanging out in towns--which defeats the purpose of going to Alaska!! You won't be able to do day trips from there. You will need to move around and driving distances are much longer than they look on a map.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi Connie,
Thanks much for your response. We will be staying at Anchorage because we thought it will be ... well... midway between Denali and Kenai.

We thought we will take the railroad to Denali and back and go to Kenai... But looks like you are saying that might be too much for a week long trip?

So If I ask you to choose between Denali and Kenai ... what would be your suggestion?

Thanks again,
An
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 03:04 PM

You can do Denali and Seward in one week, although it may be a little rushed. Go to Denali and stay two nights. Try the Denail Bluffs Hotel. Book the park shuttle rather than the tour to save money. When you go back to Anchorage on the train, I don't know if it goes straight to Seward that night or if you will have to overnight in Anchorage. The Holiday Inn is very close to the station (walking distance or short cab) so is a Comfort Inn. You could stay at either place and then go down to Seward in the a.m. if necessary. Take the Kenai fjord tour while you are there. It is wonderful. You will love Alaska. I just got back from my second trip there.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:48 PM

I agree with a lot of what Connie says. We spent a week in AK last month, with two nights in Anchorage (my Dad lives there), two in Seward, two in Denali, and then one more in Anchorage. If my Dad did not live in Anchorage, I would not have spent that many days there, and I would have added one more day to both Seward and Denali. We rented a car and drove everywhere--I'm told it's much faster than the Alaska RR. We did two one day cruises--the 26 Glaciers Cruise out of Whittier and the Kenai Fjords cruise out of Seward. I would recommend both if you have the time for both. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 06:25 PM

Alaska is so huge you could spend a month in just one area . However for your knowledge...Kenai is absolutly a beautiful drive from Anchorage.But the Kenai Pennisula is really for mostly fishing. The area is beautiful but really focused toward fishing...
You will really enjoy Denali if you do not mind a very long drive to get there and a bus ride to the vistor center.....
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 09:13 PM

I disagree that the Kenai is just about fishing. IMO, it has the best scenery, hiking, the beautiful coast and cruises.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:19 AM

Anchorage has excellent shopping, especially for "Made in Alaska" items and things other that T-shirts. Anchorage also has many excellent fur stores. There are some excellent art galleries in the downtown area that showcase local artists' work. Also, the Art & History Museum in downtown will give you a good history of Alaksa and its exploration. The Native Heritage Park is good if you want to learn more about the natives. There is a shuttle bus that leave son the hour from the 5th Avenue theatre downtown.

Also, downtown Anchorage has some awesome restaurants! Glacier Bay Brewhouse was one of my favorites, and some other good ones are Orso, Club Paris, and (oddly enough) Las Cabanas Mexican.

The Glacier Bay Brewhouse downtown is excellent!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:36 AM

You tell 'em Christie!

I used to loathe Anchorage because it was a city. However, for my purposes, it has become home and I've learned to appreciate it so much.

It does have the best of everything at the fairest prices. If you're hungry at 3 AM, you can find something open. And, the reason I like it most, is that it is centrally located for trips to the north or south......whichever you're in the mood for. It is sort of a permanent base camp.

Now, for those that don't believe that Anchorage is "the real Alaska," I'll challenge them to find any other community with as many moose and bears wandering around the streets. Moreover, the Chugach is an awesome backdrop, and, there are at least two packs of wolves in the area. And, unless we forget, the Dall sheep that come down to the road along Turnagain Arm. Finally, for the hikers, there are innumerable trails back in the same moose, bear, wolf and sheep infested hills.....beautiful trails.

There is a reason that Anchorage is the economic hub of the state. It is because Anchorage is a GREAT place.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 07:49 AM

You're welcome, akvisnet! I spent a month living in the heart of downtown Anchorage while working on a government contract, so I'm pretty "up" on what there is to do in town, especially without a car!

People seem to think that Anchorage is just a generic city, and that couldn't be further from the truth! IMHO, the excellent shopping and variety of excellent restaurants make Anchorage a MUST for anyone who likes gourmet food and wants to bring home gifts besides T-shirts and cheap ulu knives...
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 07:55 AM

I looked forward to seeing all those moose and bears in Anchorage but never saw one and we were in and out of town several times--and drove all over town.

From what I understand from a friend who lives in Anchorage, they aren't there in the summer because it is too hot for them.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

All,

Thanks so very much for all your inputs.

I thought I could make Anchorage as a base camp ( and accordingly had made accomodations to be in Anchorage the whole time) and then move around.

But based on your inputs I might just spend a day or two in Anchorage and look for accomodations around Denali and Kenai.

Best,
An
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 04:36 PM

I stayed in south Anchorage for a week in late Sept 2000 and saw moose everywhere we looked - crossing the street, eating on the sides of the roads after dusk, etc. Only saw two bears, though, and neither was in Anchorage.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 06:09 AM

another thought for good use of time is renting an RV, perfect for a honeymoon. If considering the train- Anchorage- Seward is the most scenic portion and Seward is easily gotten around without a car. Hopefully your trip is at the beg of Sept??? Denali Park stops the shuttles this year Sept. 11. the boat tours out of Seward also reduce their schedules. As stated above, I wouldn't "base" myself out of Anchorage but it is a very worthwhile city to see, I also firmly believe that about Fairbanks too. I cringe thinking about all those costly cruisetour people only experiencing a gold mine and paddlewheeler boat, so very very much more.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 07:46 AM

I agree with BudgetQueen about renting an RV. We have done that and will do it again.

It gives you flexibility--sometimes you don't want to stay somewhere as long as you thought.

You have your home with you all the time so you don't have to pack and unpack and you can save money by fixing some of your own meals.

RV campgrounds on the coast have the best views. In Seward and Homer, you can stay right on the water with fabulous mountain scenery right out your window.

There is a lot of info here and at www.rv.net if you decide to go this route.

I'm sure Anchorage has plenty of nice things to see but remember, they only have ONE WEEK. Why would you go to Alaska and stay in a city when you have limited time?

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 09:04 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Given it's your honeymoon, (congratulations, btw) how about splitting the difference between the Kenai and Anchorburg and staying at the Alyeska resort in Girdwood? Not cheap (although they may have "shoulder" season specials) but has it all - glorious scenery, comfortable accommodations, the mountain tram, good possibility of critters, eat at the Double Musky, plus it's only an hour and a half from Seward for Kenai Fjords tours, and 45 min. from downtown Anchorage, via one of the most beautiful roads in N. America.

You might also think about taking the train or driving to Whittier (close to Alyeska) and take the ferry across Prince William Sound to Valdez. It's not a "cruise ship" experience (far from) but the scenery is outta this world, good likelihood of sea beasts and/or ice chunks. You can o/night in Valdez, or if you take the car on the ferry, you can return to Anchorage by road. That way you'll get your cruise accomplished, or something like it.

Congratulations again.