questioning our San Diego lodging

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:19 PM
RobBrz

questioning our San Diego lodging

Hi everyone, we are taking our first trip to San Diego July 9, and I have booked us at Embassy Suites La Jolla ($164) for the duration. I had really wanted to book an Ocean front hotel/resort but our budget won't allow it. We only have a few days and are primarily planning on visiting the zoo, wild animal park and the beaches in La Jolla.

My questions are: Is the La Jolla ES too far away from the San Diego attractions? Would we be better off with the SD Embassy Suites, or another hotel?

Are the beaches in La Jolla (which we chose because of the "children's beach") good for families with pre-teens? Or do you recommend a different beach?

I welcome any other suggestions, too.

Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:27 PM

you may be better off with the es downtown if that is still an option.

better location, (though neither is convenient to the wild animal park which is about 45 mins away), close to the zoo and balboa park.

across the bay is coronado which is a nice clean 'family' beach.

the es la jolla is not really in la jolla, but in the golden triangle which is surrounded by business parks, a shopping mall, and busy streets with lots of traffic - very pedestrian unfriendly. the es downtown, on the other hand is in a nice, very walkable part of town.

there recently was a thread by someone else asking about the es dowtown that you may want to look up.

good luck.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:32 PM

The ES la Jolla are a long way from La Jolla. They are about 1/2 way between th WAP and the Zoo, but close to neither.

IMO, you'd be better off finding an inexpensive place (Coronado Inn or Crown City come to mind)in Coronado, or finding someplace in downtown San Diego.

La Jolla Beaches are fine family beaches, but their big negative is the parking situation, and the traffic to get into La Jolla can be brutal some times of the day.

Coronado beach is also really a nice family beach. If you're in downtown, you can drive there in about 7 minutes and there is much more parking than in the LJ beach areas. If you are anywhere in Coronado, you can walk!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:25 PM

La Jolla Shores beach has a big parking lot, but it does fill up. However, people are coming and going all the time.

The "Children's Pool" is currently full of seals and can't be used by the children for whom it was built.

The ES La Jolla is actually pretty central for the things you want to visit, just not really close to any. I would just stay there, now you've got the room(s). It is a business/shopping area, but there are a lot of restaurants in the area. Across the road (very busy road) in the mall is an ice rink, if your kids would like to skate.

Icuy: Other than that little parking lot beside the Shores, where do you park for Coronado beach-a lovely beach- other than the streets?
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 08:09 PM

You do park on the streets. There is parking all along the street in front of the beach and there are lots of streets radiating out from the beach.

Normally don't have to walk more than a block or two away, and it is all level. Even if you had to walk a few blocks, the yards in the area are quite pretty with interesting homes.

If you're staying in downtown SD you can come over on the foot ferry and
rent bikes for the day. There's a place down by the ferry landing or Holland's Bike shop on 10th & Orange.

Many visitors seem to end up on the section of beach near the Del, but I prefer the middle area (near G Avenue). Good lifeguards, not as crowded and the waves are a bit better for bodysurfing. Just plan ahead and bring snacks as you're a bit far from the shops of Coronado to walk.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 08:41 PM
emd

If you end up staying dowtown to be closer to the zoo and Balboa park, check out Sheraton Suites. Same set-up as ES regarding the rooms-- separate living area (separated by a full wall and door) and sofa bed in LR, plus we added another roll away in LR without a problem at all. We stayed there last summer and really liked the location (as above, and close to gaslamp area for dinner and beyond). Took the trolly around. Starbucks in the lobby, great big indoor heated pool. We used our car to go to the beach in La Jolla one day (but it was cloudy and somewhat cool, at end of June- surprise), but really had more to do downtown in zoo/Balboa park area. Sheraton sent me a promotional email recently low rates for rest of the summer at that SS.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 07:43 AM
ltt

as mentioned, the "children's beach" in la jolla is worth a visit but just to observe the seals. the beach at la jolla cove is very small and i would not recommend it for children.
i haven't been but del mar seems to be popular for families.
the embassy suites la jolla is actually in a good location for freeway access. it will take you about 1/2 hour to get to the wild animal park, 15-20 minutes to the zoo and 15 minutes to downtown la jolla.
i've heard good things about it but it's geared more for business but that's alright. you won't be there much other then to sleep anyways. several restaurants close by. as for a room facing north/east - that would be the quieter side. better to stay within your budget then be paying off an ocean front hotel months after your trip is over.
i worked in that area for years and had no problems getting around as a pedestrian. lots of walk lights to get across the busy street.