Question for NY Met Opera Experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of catching another performance of Anna Bolena since it falls within the dates of my trip to NY. Already have tickets for one performance.

Apart from the standing room tickets, can you please help me understand the "rush-ticket program"? When do these rush tickets go on sale? Can one call to get these tickets or are they for purchase only at the Met ticket office? What's the best way to get rush tickets?

Agnes Varis and Karl Leichtman Rush Ticket Program

The rush-ticket program returns, thanks once again to a generous gift from Met Board member Agnes Varis and her husband, Karl Leichtman. Two hundred orchestra seats are available for $20 each Monday through Thursday, excluding galas and opening nights of new productions. Provision for senior citizens and those with special needs to be announced.

What does the last sentence in this paragraph mean? Does this sentence apply to ticket purchase or only during performance?

Appreciate any enlightenment you can offer!
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 07:04 PM

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metope...ing/index.aspx

Does this help? Looks a little complicated to me.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Gwendolyn,

Thanks for the link!

The weekday seems a bit easier, although it's still not clear to me how else one could obtain the senior tickets besides calling. Does one have to stand in a waiting line before noon at the ticket office?

It's just really confusing, but I suppose, like most things, once the process is understood, it's simple.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 07:16 PM
yk

The link Gwendolynn provided is for the WEEKEND Rush tickets, which is not what easytraveler is inquiring.

The WEEKDAY rush tickets info is here:
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/varis/

200 orchestra seats are available for each regular Monday through Thursday performance for only $20 (excluding galas, special events, and opening nights of new productions). Fifty of these tickets are set aside for senior citizens.

General Public: You can purchase Varis Rush Tickets at the Met box office beginning two hours before curtain, subject to availability.

Senior Weekday Rush Tickets
Instead of standing in line, senior citizens (65 and over) can reserve their tickets beginning at noon on the day of performance below, or by calling 212-362-6000. This offer is restricted to two per order, and proof of age is required when tickets are picked up at the box office. Note: if no “Buy Tickets” button is visible on this page, no Varis Senior Rush tickets are currently available for that evening’s performance.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

yk: I think I got it! (not easy!)

The key word that I missed was "below":

Instead of standing in line, senior citizens (65 and over) can reserve their tickets beginning at noon on the day of performance below, or by calling...

BELOW that paragraph for the weekday purchases is a blank gray box. So, on the day of performance at noon, one can go online and purchase a ticket - if any senior rush tickets are available. Or one can call the number provided.

Please tell me if that's how you read this paragraph.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to yk and Gwendolynn for guiding me to the specific Met webpages.

I'd like to know if anyone has tried to get Met tickets this way? Could you comment on your experience?
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 09:29 AM
yk

Hi easytraveler,

I think 111op has done this for his mom before. I'm not sure if he frequents fodors much these days, you could email him & ask.

IME, the Met ticket sale website tends to go "live" 5-10 minutes before the stated time, so you can check the website around 11:50am to see if you see the purchase button.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Hi, this was from something I wrote for myself: "I started dialing the Met around 11:59 am, and I couldn't get through -- until, of course, when someone finally picked up about ten minutes after, the senior tickets were all gone. Needless to say, I couldn't buy these elusive senior tickets online either."

Incidentally it was for (I think) Oct 1 2007 performance of
"Traviata" with Fleming.

I know it doesn't make much sense, but as I recall, anyone could get senior tickets this way -- I was told they check IDs at admission, and the senior could bring one person in. However this is info from four years ago, so I'd call the box office.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 03:52 PM

P.S. When are you coming by the way? There are a number of performances and some as late as next Feb. It's my turn to return your hospitality during my visit out to SF -- was that 2009? Please let me know and it'd be great to see you. Thanks!
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM

The phone tickets are really a lottery...very hard to get. I did get them twice several years ago when they were less known. People do wait in line for several hours before the performance to get the rush tickets. But if you are coming to NYC for the opera, best to buy tickets online even if your budget means getting the Family Circle seats if you do not want Standing Room.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much for your informative posts. I was at the SF Opera dress rehearsal for "Lucrezia Borgia" yesterday and will write about that on the "Opera Chat" thread.

111op: So good to see you here again! This whole process sounds so discouraging, but, of course, at $20 or even at $40, that's a steal for opera tickets, so it's to expected that they would as rare as hen's teeth.

Yes, I'd love to meet you again! You are so knowledgeable about Western art that it's such a pleasure to learn from you! I'll try to find your email address and send you an email to see if you will be free during my visit to NY.

Elainee: thanks so much for your invaluable accont of your personal experiences.

I already have tickets to another Anna Bolena performance. It's just that there's an opportunity to fit in one more performance and I was trying to see if there was some way to get an inexpensive ticket for this other performance.

It looks like standing in line at noon time affords a better chance of getting one of these tickets. I wonder how early one has to start lining up before the ticket office opens at noon.Is Netrebko the rage she is in NY as she is in Europe? One might have to start as early as after breakfast!

yk: last but not least, as usual, thanks for your excellent input!
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 06:52 PM

I've emailed you, easy. Thanks!
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 06:58 PM
yk

I'm not sure if you can purchase the senior tickets in person at noon? At least that isn't clear on the link I provided above.

With only 50 senior tickets for the performance, I'd say they will be very, very tough to obtain. Good luck!
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

yk: you're correct. I'm getting the different policies for different opera houses mixed up here. I meant the 10am standing in line for standing room tickets or the two hours prior line for the rush tickets for the NY Met. In other words, it seems one's chances are better just standing in line at the opera house.

There seems to be 150 rush tickets available two hours before the performance versus 50 tickets for senior set-aside available at via phone or internet.

So, standing in line, one has two different opportunities to get discount tickets on performance day.

Thanks for pointing out my confusion!