Question about rental car driver

Jan 16th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Question about rental car driver

I just booked a flight to Burlington, VT with orbitz and added on a rental car for what I thought was a pretty good rate (4 full days for $140). Anyway, I want to drive, but the site wouldn't allow me to change the driver from my companion to me. So I just went ahead and let him be listed as the driver. Can I just leave this alone until I get to the counter or could there be a problem making the change at the last minute? I was thinking there could be some logistical thing where the rate would change or something.
Jan 16th, 2008, 11:36 AM

I don't think there will be an issue if you and your companion go to the desk. There will be a fee for multiple drivers though. its usually $25 or so.
Jan 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM

When you get to the counter, just tell them you will be the sole driver.

There shouldn't be an issue with any additional cost for a second driver.
Jan 16th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Cimbrone, it depends on the rental agency. Some allow people residing at the same address to add an additional driver at no charge. Some allow family members with the same last name. Some provide the same for domestic partners. We were able to add co-workers for free, but that may have been part of a negotiated rate.

Check out the rental car agencies' policy on additional drivers online before you go and print out anything you read that may be helpful at the rental counter.
Jan 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Just make sure any possible drivers are on the contract or you'll be in a mess if there's an accident and someone NOT on the contract is driving.
Jan 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM

I find it usually cheaper to go to the rental car's own site and make the car reservation. If you search around on the internet you can usually find a code that brings the price down and may even get you a free additional driver. Walmart has a lot of codes that include the additional driver.
Jan 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Here's the info from National for Emerald Club members (join the company's program before you go if you aren't already)

Authorized Drivers

Automatic Authorized Drivers

Free (in the United States and Canada) - An Emerald Club member's spouse, immediate family member, business partner, employer, or fellow associate who drives the car for business purposes.

Immediate family is a Mother/Father, Son/Daughter, or Brother/Sister who has the same address on the drivers license as the Emerald Club member's. This includes a spouse regardless of whether he/she has the same last name, is a common law spouse or same gender domestic partner.

Free (in the United States and Canada) - On commercial rentals, the renter's business partner, employer or fellow associate, who has an assigned corporate contract with National and drives the car for business purposes. All other additional authorized driver situations are subject to a daily charge.
Jan 16th, 2008, 04:40 PM

As long as you're both of age and have OK driving records there shouldtn't be a problem. Just be sure to tell them is you're both driving - so you get insurance for both.
Jan 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and called and had the name changed to mine. Just one more irksome task, but no biggie.
Jan 16th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Well, that was simple
Smart man!
Jan 17th, 2008, 06:23 AM

I would like to respond nytraveler's mention of insurance. First, rental car companies do not sell insurance! They offer options such as Collision Damage Wavier (C.D.W.)and there maybe several other names of this option, but the main point is that it is: a wavier of the rental car company's right to recover the cost of damage to their vehicle. There are major limitations and requirements...read the fine print of the rental agreement.

Second, any person renting a vehicle for business purposes, and using their company's vehicle insurance for coverage, make sure you read your own company's policy. Often, an insurance company's coverage on a vehicle will end at the end of a normal business day...this could be 7:00 P.M., always be sure of what you have. Also, if you think you are covered by your credit card, there are very major limitations on this type of coverage...could be type or value of vehicle, and this coverage usually only covers what any insurance company doesn't cover...this is not primary coverage. Be smart, and carry a copy of your company's certificate of insurance with you at all times when renting a vehicle for business purposes.