Puu Poa Condos

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 05:05 PM
stjohnbound

Puu Poa Condos

Seriously thinking about staying here in April, 2004. Has anyone stayed here and if so, which unit? Saw 403 on line and it looks really nice. Is 4th floor good or bad or does it matter. Most interested in clean, comfortable, nice, and best views!! Staying in Princeville mainly for the cliffs as opposed to beach. As always, your help is greatly appreciated!!

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aloha stjohnbound,

I don't remember the unit we stayed in except that it was a ground floor unit w/ 2 patios, one off the main living area, and one off the master bedroom. Note that when the building was constructed, the owners of the ground floor units had the option of a patio
or an enclosed sun room,so some of the ground floor units have much larger patios than others. Ours included their sunroom in the main living room, so it was a very large living area. The patio (lanai ) was still large enough for privacy and relaxing!

Ours was a 2 BR unit w/ the 2nd BR in the back.

The condos are HUGE... I would suggest that you keep hunting until you find the one you want.

There were some people who actually live there, so the units available for rent are limited.

It is a very quiet resort.... we found it to be quite relaxing. There was virtually no one at the pool whenever we were there...

Usually we prefer a higher floor for the views, but I think any floor at this resort would be lovely just because of the way it is situated on the cliff w/ unobstructed views no matter where you are... you're not viewing any other resorts from anywhere on this property.

It was VERY clean and comfortable... more than anything we enjoyed the spaciousness of the unit.

Hope this helps. Happy planning

Aloha!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:59 AM
stjohnbound

Makai1, thank you so much and yes, this definitely helps. I was concerned about a ground floor unit but not anymore. I agree that they are huge..the one I saw on line was 2,000 sq feet (same as my house!). How long did you stay? I was thinking about 5 days in Kauai and then maybe going to the BI for two days (just to Volcano). Am I shortchanging my time in Kauai too much? We're pretty active so I know we'll want to see a lot of things but we like to be comfortable where we stay. Princeville did not appeal to me when I started my search because of the golf course/resort atmosphere but the scenery can't be beat. Thanks again!

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 05:26 AM

The adjoining property -- Pali Ke Kua -- has the same view, very nice units, and the prices are slightly lower:
http://www.princeville-vacations.com.../palikekua.htm
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 09:28 AM

Aloha stjohnbound!

We had a full week on Kauai and a full week on the BI for that trip. I think you could get away with 5 days on Kauai and still feel like you did most everything. Once you're there, though, you won't want to leave .

I would have a hard time w/ only a 2 day side trip to the BI. There is SO much to see there, and everything is so much more spread out (in distance) , that it takes longer to drive everywhere. It's alot of travel for 2 days.

How many days do you have for the trip and how have you divided it?

What we have always done is save the islands we don't have enough time to thoroughly explore for the next trip. Personally, I wouln't spend less than 1 full week each on Oahu, BI, Maui & Kauai... actually we had 2 full weeks on Maui, and it still wasn't enough to do everything we would have liked.

There's much to do in Hawaii, nice place to keep venturing back too !

Muchos Alohas!
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 05:41 PM
stjohnbound

AuntieMaria: Thank you for your post. I'm wondering why you recommend these condos over Puu Poa. I went to the site and all did look good. Do you know which unit will have the best views? We love the idea of a great view of Bali Hai which is why I originally thought of Puu Poa. But, we also want a clean and updated condo. We live in condoville (Florida) so we know how run down these places can get. Any first-hand knowledge with the ones you recommend?

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 05:49 PM
stjohnbound

Makai 1: Once again, thanks for a great post. I'm not sure yet how many days we're going to dedicate to our vacation but I'm think 7-10 days. I've been talking to people who have been to the islands and get really conflicting opinions. My sister says just stay in Kauai the whole time; my friend says definitely do two islands. I'm starting to think that maybe one island at a time will be just fine..we can always come back! I am thinking about April and am interesting in your thoughts about the weather at that time. A little rain doesn't bother me since we live in Florida and it rains whenever it feels like it. I am worried a little about the condo feel of Princeville but am going mostly for the views. We'll definitely do a bunch of sightseeing but want to come home to a great view and a nice place. Did you see the Pali Kee Kua condos (see recent post) while you were there? What did you think if so? Thanks again!

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 06:14 PM

Aloha once again, stjohnbound,

I only saw Pali Ke Kua condos on the internet and from the grounds of Pu'u Po'a... they are set behind (Northeast? of PP) and I really can't give any more info than that.

My guess is that the PP condos are more spacious from what I saw... but I haven't seen their grounds or condos.

Don't worry about the "condo" feel of Princevile, as everything is very spread out.

Everyone will have differing opinions... if you think you may be able to make future trips to the islands, then savor each island in the time you have and enjoy each one to the fullest. I think this is the BEST way to enjoy Hawaii... slowly and savoring !!!!

Whatever you decide, you won't be disappointed, that's for sure. The aloha spirit of HI is contageous, and you'll never be the same after the first time.

Muchos alohas!!!
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 06:22 PM

stjohnbound,

Regarding weather, April should be glorious. Expect AM short showers, fresh floral fragrance made wonderful by the rain, rainbows, and lovely blue, blue skies !

We enjoyed our jeep wrangler, flipping the top back during our exploring, and back up at the end of the day to keep the seats dry for the next day!

Oh!!! I envy your time on Kauai. We'll be on Waikiki the last week of March 2004, and the north shore of Oahu the first week of April. Much different than Kauai, but also lovely and much fun! Kauai though, will always hold the most special memories for me!!

Enjoy!
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:21 PM
stjohnbound

Makai1: All I have to say this time is that you are wonderful! Thank you for your wonderful timely posts. I am so looking forward to my trip and I will definitely keep you and everyone else posted.

Old Nov 7th, 2003, 11:45 AM

I stayed at the Pali Ke Kua Condos this past September (unit #224). I chose it specifically for the fantastic Bali Hai views. The unit was very nicely furnished (2 bedroom, 2 bathroom) and very well equipped.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 12:46 PM

We also stayed at Pali Ke Kua this past September. I would definitely stay there again. Unfortunately, we had a condo that faced away from Bali Hai (good ones were all booked), but the units facing Bali Hai looked amazing (like Jammie had). If you like, I have the layout map of the condos at home and can let you know what other numbered units would have good views.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 05:52 PM
stjohnbound

Crusin Tiger: Would love to know which units have the best view. So far I am finding the Puu Poa condos better as far as decor goes but the view is very important so I'd like to consider Pali Kea Kua also.
Jammie: Appreciate your response as well. How was the unit as far as being clean and not worn?

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:30 AM

Stjohnbound - Found the map - best views would be units 121-126 and units 221-226 which would be second floor. From your patio, about a 10-15 foot walk across grassy lawn to the top of the cliff for a totally unobstructed view directly across the water to Bali Hai - can't even describe the beautiful sunsets. This one picture I found shows the end units of 126/226. http://www.kauaiocean.com/photogalle...KBldgCliff.htm. If you have an email I could send you a copy of the map itself.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 09:18 AM
stjohnbound

Crusin Tiger: Send the map to [email protected]. Thanks so much!!

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 12:20 PM

Pali Ke Kua unit #224 was clean as can be. The furnishings were in excellent condition and the condo was very tastefully decorated. The website is kauai-rental-condo.com. There are photos on the website which show the rooms and the Bali Hai view (which is even more spectacular in person!) The owners even sent us a thank you letter after our stay. I couldn't recommend this condo more.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Iza

We stayed at Puu Poa Unit 310 in August of 2002. Wonderful views, unit very clean and well furnished and equipped. Enjoyed it very much and would rent it again. We rented through www.princeville-vacations.com and had very good service from them.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 05:53 PM

I booked unit #412 for our vacation next April, because it was the end/corner top unit overlooking the whole place. Something about your upstairs neighbors being able to look down on you bugged me about the lower floors. Booked through rentalsonkauai.com Also considered unit #226 "the Point" at Pali Ke Kua (kauaivacationrentals.com, I think). Also considered the Secret Beach Cottages, but didn't want to spring for that much money for a week for the two of us (anniversary trip). There are LOTS of beatiful homes, too if you are traveling with a group. I've never been to Kauai, but spent a good bit of time looking at ALL the rental company web sites, and *think* I made a good choice. We'll see in April!
Good luck.
C.