Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for the perfect beachfront condo in Kauai - does it exist?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've searched extensively on the internet, VRBO, Kauai Revealed, etc., but can't find exactly what we're looking for: a 2-bedroom oceanfront condo on Kauai on a beautiful swimable beach, lush grounds, and tropical pool on a budget of no more than $300 per night. We're going in November 2006. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:09 AM

We stayed 5 or 6 years ago at Poipu Sands condos, which were very nice and I believe in your price range, and had 2 bedrooms, and a kitchen. Its right next door to the Hyatt,(which has wonderful facilities) and the condo has a pool. However, if I remember correctly, you had a short drive to the terrifc poipu beach, but couldn't swim right outside the condo area. I think that is the case for many of the poipu area condos. Good luck in your search and have a great trip!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:20 AM

I don't have personal experience with this, but doing a both a quick search here and also on the web, came up with what appear to be a number of good options. Perhaps the pools wouldn't be considered "tropical" but here's a previous threads with lots of info (and there are many more)

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34666122

and here's one of the places mentioned in that thread

http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/...os&Avail=&Stay

What are we missing?
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Your wish list is the same as mine, and I can tell you with certainty that you will need to compromise if you have your heart set on Kauai. Maui has many places that meet your description, but not Kauai. The closest will be Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu. I don't believe the 2 bedrooms are direct oceanfront, however, and the cost probably exceeds $300. I still enjoy Kauai, but have reconciled myself to the fact that I need to DRIVE to the beach. Maui is still my #1 island choice for its abundance of places like you describe.
(That said, I'm going to Big Island next week, where there are even fewer places matching our desires!)
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses and suggestions. We've also come to the conclusion that we'll probably have to drive (or walk a distance) to a beach.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Check out the Marriot Waiohai...it may be more than $300 a night but the rooms are gorgeous pool and grounds totally tropical and it is on a swimmable beach. Worth the money if you want 6 stars.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:31 AM

I am not sure what you mean by "on the beach". I'll assume you mean a short walk through the resort property to the beach. Here are the options for Poipu:

Kiahuna Plantation - There are a few units here that will meet ALL of your requirements except perhaps price. Be careful as the resort has many condos and some quite a distance from the beach so you need to be sure which condo you get and where it is located. The beach is very nice with gentle waves although it can be crowded. The pool here is fairly new but some distance away from the beach.

Poipu Sands - this resort is very lush with lots of open green space and has perhaps the nicest pool in Poipu. Most of the condos are 2 bedrooms and all of them are a short walk to Shipwreck or Keoneloa beach. Building 5 is closest and considered beachfront. Some condos in building 2,3,4 have partial ocean views while building 1 faces the ocean and has direct ocean views. Depending upon the time of year, you can absolutely get a condo for much less than $300. Shipwreck beach is considered to be not swimmable, but that is not true as people (including myself) swim and boogie board there. However the surf can be high so you need to be comfortable with waves and careful when you swim. Poipu Beach park is a 5-10min walk away through the Poipu Kai greenbelt. This is a popular place for families.

Poipu Kapili - this is not on the beach but a 5 min walk from the beach in front of Kiahuna. It is mostly 2 bedroom condos and has an ok pool that is the center of the resort. Landscaping is nice but whenever I stayed there the roosters would drive me crazy all night. I've also found that children are not all that welcome (which may be a plus or minus depending upon your point of view). I'm not 100% sure, but you'd likely be able to get a place in your budget.

Marriot Waiohai - This is a timeshare resort and right on Poipu Beach so the location is good. It is also only a year or so old so it is still pretty fresh. However the whole place is built up and doesn't have the lush grounds and resort feel. It is more of a crowded hotel feeling. I don't have any idea on if they take non timeshare guests and if so how much they charge.

If you are looking at the Princeville area (north shore) then be aware that in winter the surf is high and beaches are very often closed. Also the condos are perched on a cliff and so you need to walk down a steep hill to get to the beach. However you do have some spectacular views. The only resort you might consider is Hanalei Bay Resort but BEWARE - there are some really crappy condos that haven't been updated since 1970.

One last suggestion is finding a place on the east side that is near Lydgate park. Lydgate has a protected swimming area and a huge playground. However the east doesn't have the same kind of resort feel as Poipu or Princeville.

Actually, one other place to consider is the Gillins Beach house which is right on Mahaulepu beach. It is isolated and doesn't have a pool, but it is alone on the nicest beach in Poipu.

Good luck in your search. I am sure that no matter where you decide you will have a great time.

Alan
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses. Special thanks to Alan for all the good information.

We've narrowed our search to an oceanfront condo at Poipu Sands or Hale Hokuu, a private duplex. We've checked out both on TripAdvisor and Kauai Revealed. Would love to hear if anyone has personal experience with either.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Meant to say an oceanfront condo at Poipu SHORES, not Poipu SANDS.

Anyone stayed at Poipu Shores or Hale Hokuu (private duplex)?
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:27 AM

We faced the same dilemma and for our next August vacation, we picked Lae Nani. The beach isn't totally swimmable but there is a sheltered area of ocean water. There is also an ocean front pool. We tend to love looking at the ocean and swimming in the pool. It looks like we will have a good ocean view and the rate for a 2 BR is about $260 or so, so it meets our budget. We will be staying at the K. Alii on Maui and that is an ocean front condo so we will save some $$$ on Kauai and spend it on Maui.