Kauai and Maui-HELP PLEASE!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:29 AM
T&t

Kauai and Maui-HELP PLEASE!

Honeymooning end of May 2003 for 10 days. Looking at spending 7 days in Kauai and weekend in Maui. Thinking of staying in a condo/bangalow in Kauai and doing the resort thing in Maui. Any suggestions-on accomodations in particular? We are looking at mid-range as far as $$ goes...not to break the bank but not to skimp for honeymoon. We will be looking to relax but are interested in hiking, biking and helicopter tour. Any input/advice would be appreciated.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:50 AM
xxx

It would help if you gave some idea of what you consider mid-range. Try www.vrbo.com for lots of condo listings. Also www.gloriasvacationrentals.com. Gloria has a beautiful B&B on kauai, and also manages several cottages and condos in Poipu.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:58 AM
Jessee

I am going there in one month, I could write you later and let you know how are spot near the beach is. Congradulations on your upcoming wedding.
We got married in Oahu 15 years ago and are going there and to Kauai for 10 days to celebrate with friends.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:15 PM
t&T

Thank you for your responses. It would be nice to find a condo/bungalow for $1000 $1500 for the week...we are seeing prices all over the place. As far as the resort, we know it will be more expensive per night but wouldn't want to go more than $200-$250. Is that realistic? We still are in investigating stage...we've been told you can be economical and not feel like you're skrimping too much...but I don't want to be "cheap" either.
Congratulations on your 15 year anniversary! Enjoy your trip and any feedback would be appreciated.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 03:38 PM
xxx

You should have no problem finding a nice condo on Kauai in that price range. Do a search on this forum, there have been several recent posts about different condo complexes. I really like Kiahuna Plantation. You would not get an ocean front unit in that budget, but the garden views are very nice and it's just a few minutes walk to the beach.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:53 AM
Mel

You might want to consider a private cottage - not on the beach, but centrally located and in a secluded area on Kauai
www.hoohana.aloha.net/halekua

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:39 AM
Maggi

Our favorite place was on the north shore: www.kauaivilla.com

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:09 PM
Nancy

Dear T & t,

I would start your Honeymoon in Maui and end in Kauai (my fav).

Try, try, try to get a balcony room with sea views. The sunsets are unbelievable.

Be more frugal at the start of your honeymoon as you will be exhausted after the wedding and long flight.

If at all possible spend your last 2 or 3 nights at the Hyatt Regency in Kauai (a magical way to end your honeymoon). The pool system there is fabulous. And don't leave the resort - just soak it in.

Congratulations - Hawaii is a beautiful way to start your marriage !

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:50 PM
aloha

As has been mentioned there are numerous privately owned cottages and studios on Kaua'i. I've had good luck finding listings by just doing a google search for the area i'm interested in, such as Kaua'i north shore. My favorite area is the north shore, between Hanalei and the end of the road. We have stayed several times at Hanalei Colony Resort. Their website I think is hcr.com. It is beachfront. I think garden view units are still about $170 a night, but that may be outdated. 5th night I beleive is free. The units have a full kitchen. It is a small condo complex of 2 story bldgs. Because of the arrangement of the bldgs, i think you really can't see the ocean from the gardenview rooms--but you will be about 100 feet from it. It is great to wake up in the morning and walk and walk about 50 steps and be on the beach! If you want to hike Na Pali it would be a great location as it is only a couple of miles from the beginning of the trail. This is also where great beaches such as Tunnels are located. HCR would be very relaxing as it is in a quiet area. Have a great honeymoon!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:16 AM
T&t

Thanks to all who have taken time to advise. Good idea to maybe start in Maui and end in Kauai...

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:33 AM
nick

Make maui your longest stay it is the best. It rains a lot in kauai i got rained out 2 of the 5 nights i stayed there. On the flip side go to key beach real nice protected cove,but crowed, and go up the mountain hike till you stop smiling very beautifull located right next to key beach kauai.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Brenda

I have to put my 2 cents in for Kauai. I think a weekend on Maui is enough. I used to go to Maui each year but have grown tired of the development and growth of the Lahaina/Kanaapali areas and the traffic. Kauai is more laid back, more tropical and old Hawaii feel. I do not find the weather to be a problem, especially if you stay on the South Shore. The Hyatt is a beautiful hotel. You will find lots of Maui and Kauai fans on these boards. Both islands are Hawaii after all, you can't go wrong.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:10 PM
sallie

My husband and I have been to Kauai twice-in 2000, we stayed at the Hyatt in Poipu and it was absolutely beautiful. In 2001, we stayed on the NOrth Shore at Hanalei Bay Resort next door to Princeville. The views were spectacular and we were upgraded to a studio with a mountain view(which was just as beautiful as the ocean view). We got a great deal (around 100 bucks a night and we had a small kitchenette). Rent a convertible or jeep and take in lots of waterfalls. I recommend you buy the book "Ultimate Kauai Guidebook" It's great. I would also recommend you stay ont he North Shore. It is prettier. Eat at Brennecke's ont he south shore on Poipu Beach. Have fun!!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Dennis

Definitely plan on much more time in Maui than in Kauai. Kauai is beautiful but...there's so much more to do on Maui...yes it is more crowded but it's more crowded because more people like it.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 03:18 PM
mike

T&t:

We've been to both 3x in last 4 yrs. Kauai is our favorite. When people say it is crowded, that is a relative term. Just like it rains alot on Kauai.
the rain on the north shore is nothing like rain on the mainland. North shore is beautiful, but you cannot beat The Hyatt. I would agree, go to Kauai second. We did our honeymoon the opposite way. They are both great and plenty to do on both. You will want to take time to just take it all in.
Good luck.

Old Jan 31st, 2003, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would definitely spend more time on Kauai - much more romantic, offers more spectacular beauty than Maui without the crowds. As far as things to do, the hiking is unsurpassed, kayaking Kauai's navigable waters, snorkeling, helicopter trips. One could say Oahu is more crowded than Maui but is that where you want to vacation? I have to disagree with the gentlemen who said Maui is more crowded because people like it more. We used to love to go to Maui but the Kaanapali area, among other Maui locations, became so crowded that the traffic jams were horrendous at all hours of the day. We vacation to get away from it all and you will find that on Kauai. Know that the weather can be rainy on the North shore, but, when it is dry, it is one of the most incredibly beautiful places to be. The question you must ask yourself is what pleases you; what type of vacation do you want your honeymoon to be. Thank goodness we all have different likes and dislikes. Know what you are looking for and the choice is easy. Good luck on your upcoming wedding and planning your honeymoon.

I agree that if you're looking for condos in Kauai, you might want to try Kiahuna Plantation - beautiful grounds and in a great location situated on a lovely beach. You might also want to try Whaler's Cove - a bit more pricey, but beautiful units, all ocean front and a much smaller complex than Kiahuna. On the North Shore, you might try Pale Ke Kua for condos. They have some very reasonably priced units with unobstructed views of Bali Hai and Hanalaei Bay. If you opt for hotels, the Hyatt is lovely, but would probably be a splurge for your budget.

If you do choose to spend on Maui in condos, I would recommend either the Kapalua or Wailea areas - opposite ends of the island but away from the hustle and bustle of much of the commericalism and high rises. There are a plethora of condos in either area; we have always enjoyed Makena Surf in the Makena/Wailea areas - all oceanfront and you couldn't be closer to the water's edge.

Again, much luck to find that perfect place. Hawaii is a lovely place to spend any vacation especially a honeymoon!