Search

Princeville

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 06:52 AM
Josie

Princeville

Couple of questions about the Princeville~

Is the beach swimable?

Does it really rain a lot on the north coast up there?

Do the rooms really "wow" you??

What are the best & worst things about this resort?

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 08:55 AM
amy

The rain didn't stop while we were there.Since it was a special trip(most people only go once or twice in a lifetime)we left early,went to Maui,(where we were due to go next anyway)and never saw another raindrop,let alone a cloud.When we do go back(and we hope to),we'll be sure to stay in the southern part.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 07:38 PM
Brenda

Josie,
There are lots of swimmable beaches on the North Shore, all within a 20-30 minute drive of Princeville. Try Anini, Hanelei, Tunnels, and Kee' beaches. All very lovely and swimmable.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 08:23 PM
Josie

I'm sorry. I was referring to the Princeville Resort itself.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:21 AM
m&m

Depends on when you are going. Winter months are the rainy season and the north shore is NOT swimmable during these months. Need the south shore then. Stayed at the Hanalei Bay resort next to the Princeville 2 years ago in June. Rained a little, early in the morning, a few days and was then beautiful. Not interfering at all.

We've stayed on the north shore, east coast and the south shore. The north shore was my favorite. Much, much prettier IMO.

Hanalei Bay resort shares a beach with the Princeville. Although there are prettier beachs close by, the beach at the resort is swimmable. We swam there a couple of times.

The north shore is where I'll stay next time.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Karen

There is a very nice beach fronting the Princeville Hotel. It is swimmable as well as offering some decent snorkeling. Yes, it does rain a good bit on the North shore, but it truly is the most beautiful part of the island. Hedge your bets and spend time on both the North and "sunny South shore" if time permits. Also, there seems to be more rain November through February/March, although we travel to Kauai each Feb/March and always spend some time on the North shore (far less than the South), but you can certainly take day trips if you choose the South shore. We've had some trips where we have had absolutely no rain (last two years) and trips where it has rained for a solid week during our stay in Princeville. Only you can make the choice. The rooms at the Princeville are quite nice, however, this hotel does not give me the true "Hawaiana" feel. Just my opinion - many will disagree with me, but I prefer the Hyatt's decor in Poipu with the colors and textures and all the gorgeous Koa wood which I find more aesthetically pleasing. We liked the Princeville better when it was a Sheraton resort many years ago before Iniki. However, the views of Hanalei Bay and Bali Hai are incredible from the Princeville. Enjoy whatever your choice may be.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:56 AM
helen

The best thing about the resort is the view itself. The sunset view over Hanalei Bay is gorgeous. The mornings are spectacular - everything sparkles. Light reflects off from the ocean, the fountains in the hotel, the mist in the air.

We were there for a few days in May and didn't encounter any rain. Other times of the year may be different.

Hanalei is a funky town. Some people say that is where the Peter, Paul, & Mary song "Puff, the Magic Dragon" song was written.

The bathrooms "wow" you more than the rooms. But the rooms are still much better than those at the Hyatt.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:38 PM
josie

How far is it to the town of Hanalei?

Why would you prefer the north shore as opposed to the South? I'm trying to find out what the best features are of each area.

Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:58 PM
helen

Hanalei is within five minutes of the Princeville Resort. Enjoy.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Rusty

we stayed at a vacation rental by owner cottage in Princeville during June. The entire trip was magical. It rained in the early morning or late in the evening. We have been to the Islands many times and I have to say that the north shore is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. It truly is a paradise. We will be back next year.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:16 AM
SUSAN

Stayed at the Princeville in May of 2001. Beach is swimmable, but the best part is looking at it from a hammock. It rained 2 of the 5 days we were there. If it rains, go out anyway. The hotel is really really depressing in the rain, and they are not especially helpful. The rooms did not WOW me at all - very bland. We were at the Four Seasons on Hawaii and Manele Bay on Lanai and both of those were fantastic. Princeville rooms are boring. Best thing about resort is the view. The Four Seasons should buy this place and fix it up. Eat OFF the grounds - the food at the resort is uninspiring (except breakfast outside,looking at that view).

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Susan

The Princeville is far better than the Hyatt. The best thing about the resort was the view from our room. The bathroom was terrific- you could see the view from the shower. Every evening there was entertainment in the Living Room. A terrific experience.