Kauai, HI Hotels and resorts

Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Kauai, HI Hotels and resorts

North shore or South shore? I normally like to stay in resorts
Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:44 AM

We stayed on the South Shore because we had Marriott points, and our stay was free, but we really loved the North Shore and thought it was beautiful. The beaches up there were quite nice too. If I were paying, I'd pick the North Shore.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Are there any nice oceanfront resorts on the Northshore that would go for about $250 a night. Also how does the northshore and southshore water compare? We like a calm ocean.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:02 PM

It depends on what time of the year you are going. In winter the North Shore of Kauai can sometimes get a lot of rain. I am going in February, 2008 and staying on the South Shore at the Grand Hyatt. I have read wonderful things about this resort.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:22 PM

Not too many resorts on the North SHore, there is the Princeville but it is more than you want to pay and also is supposed to start renovations soon. Might look into Hanalei Bay Resort, combination of hotel rooms and timeshare units that you can rent. Other than that, how about either renting a private house on North Shore, or try the Marriott on the East Shore or Hyatt on South Shore.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:17 PM

IF you like calm ocean go the north shore in the summer months...from sometime in May to sometime in Septmeber. North shore in winter is rockin, so don't bother knockin...if you want to swim.

South shore will be calm in winter, but I don't think the beaches are as nice as on the north shore.

You would be able to find a one bedroom condo unit at Hanalei Bay Resort for $250. The reosrt up on the hills above Hanalei Bay. There is steep walk down to the beach.

Sheraton garden rooms can be had for around $200 a night, but they are not the nicest.

I've stayed at the Hyatt and it is a great resort. Love the main building and the gardens/pools. The rooms are typical Hyatt rooms with some tropical touches. The beach is rough most of the time and not really suitable for swimming. To compensate for that there is a huge, heated salt water swimming lagoon which is pretty darn nice for floating and relaxing.
Nov 5th, 2007, 07:25 PM

ALoha,

We stay on the North SHore most of the time and get a vacation rental..better value for the money ..check out www.800hawaii.com