Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sorry! Another N. Shore/S. Shore Kauai question

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

I've seen various threads on the pros/cons of the North Shore vs. South Shore of Kauai, but I'm more confused than before...
My question is this - If you were going to go to Kauai in mid-April, where would you stay?

I think we like the idea of the North Shore - it looks beautiful, has the hiking and beach activities that we like, and seems to have somewhat nicer accomodations condo-wise (but maybe I'm mistaken on that). However, I'm a bit concerned that in April the beaches might be too dangerous for swimming and snorkeling, and that we'll have a greater chance of rainouts.

All the advice /guidebooks seem to advise to stay in the south in winter, and north in summer - where does April fall in this general rule??
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 11:29 AM

Mid-April is exactly the time I was in Kauai and stayed on the North shore. ALthough we tried several beaches, Tunnels was our favorite and was quiet that time of year. I prefer the North shore to the South but know the weather can be an issue. I don't think it will be an issue at that time of year. One piece of advice...it does rain more on the North shore and comes and goes. We learned after a few days to pack our travel umbrellas along with beach gear. When the showers came we could simply pop up the umbrellas and wait in place until they passed. They usually passed in 10 minutes or less. We rented a small house from Annini Beach Cottages("The Lily Pond"). They have several properties from which to choose.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Pam, thanks for the tips. Anyone else?
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 10:22 PM

If you can afford it, we highly recommend Whalers Cove in Poipu. If there is a nicer condo on the island, I'd like to see it. So, we stay in the South and do day trips to the North--makes for a great day. Good Luck !!
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 09:15 AM

We visited Kauai in September and stayed in Lihue (between shores); we spent most of the days at the South Shore beaches; Lihue was cloudy. Our one day on the north Shore, it rained off and on during the morning; then turned gorgeous.

I thought the North shore had a more "Hawaiian" feel.