Kauai-Best part of the island

Jan 10th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Albertlee

Kauai-Best part of the island

Heard North Shore is very rainy??? Going in Oct. Want nice swimming beach (of course), things to so (hiking, scenic,horseback riding taking lots of photo's, etc.) Please help, I suck at researching. Thanks!

Jan 10th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Maggi

Albert, we spent a week on the north shore last September. The first day we had sprinkles on and off, but they didn't interfere with any of our plans. The north shore is great for hiking, has the best scenery, and photo ops. Don't know about horseback riding. You might want to check out this website to help you plan: http://www.bestplaceshawaii.com/vacplanner/kvp/
If you want to see pictures of our trip and particularly north shore Kauai, go to:http://community.webshots.com/user/maggiwun and click on Kauai.
Take it from me, your vacation will be as good as the time you invest in the planning stages. It's worth it! Good luck and have a blast.

Jan 10th, 2003, 06:21 PM
DJ

Albert, the North Shore area is definitely the most lush beautiful place to stay on the island and every other point of interest can be easily reached by rental vehicle for touring the other areas. The rain has never been a problem for us on our 3 visits there.

Jan 10th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Brenda

The topic of North shore vs South shore of Kauai is an ongoing one. Here is my take on it. The North shore is definitely more tropical and lush, great beaches and photo opportunities. However, there is definitely a greater chance of rain. I stayed a week on the North shore 2 years ago and it was overcast or rainy 5 of the 7 days. This was in February. Rain is not unusual in February, by the way. I generally prefer the South shore mainly because the weather tends to be sunnier and drier. I like to be able to get up and go to the beach if it is nice and not have to worry about driving an hour or more to find sunshine. It is about that amount of time to drive to Poipu (South shore) area if you are staying on the North shore. I feel like I can always drive up to the North shore if the weather is going to be nice and take my photos and lunch with me. Personally, I prefer to take my chances where I think it will rain less, just my personal preference. By the way, there are some lovely beaches on the Sourth shore as well. Oh yeah, there are horse riding stables near Princeville on the North shore and one in Poipu area not far from the Hyatt hotel. Both offer riding.

Jan 11th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Paul

The north shore is the rainier end of the island. It is beautifully lush and green, but that's because of all the rain. It is a great area for hiking, and has some nice beaches. The south shore is drier and sunnier, and more reliable for rainless days at the beach.The Poipu area on the south shore is very popular for this reason. Also, the closer you get to the winter months, the rougher the ocean becomes and this is more true for the north shore than the south.

Jan 11th, 2003, 02:24 PM
kendell

Been to Kauai 7 times. (6 times in may-july, once in january: which was rainy). December, January and February I would not suggest. We hve not had problems other times if yoy like quiet, scenic beauty. Feel free to email me.

Search this Thread