Search

Priceline Question

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priceline Question

Hey All! My husband and I are going back and forth about where to go the week of June 19th. We've tossed around Washington D.C., but the hotels near the city are really pricey. Has anyone had good luck with Priceline? Or maybe a better question is any tips on getting a good room?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
yk

We did Priceline last July for DC. We wanted to stay at Dupont Circle, and ended up with the Hilton Embassy Row for $75. We were happy with it, and it was very convenient to the subway, and plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

Check out biddingfortravel.com before you bid on Priceline.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:29 PM

I did Priceline for DC way back in ... wow, 2002, was it that long ago? I got the Hyatt in Arlington for some ungodly low price and for me, too, the location was fine, just under a Metro stop so well located for getting into DC. As already noted, see BFT.

Andrew
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:38 PM

"tossed around Washington, DC" - once you bid on and win a hotel on Priceline, you own it - so I would not do this until Washington wins the toss.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM

Sometimes people who can't make a decision need something like a fixed Priceline bid to help them along.

Andrew
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:03 PM
trippinkpj

I live near San Francisco, and ocassionally do an overnighter up there. I think I will use Priceline the next time, for my first try on PL.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:16 PM

I've used Priceline for DC hotels several times, with great success. You'll be fine bidding on 3 or 4 stars in most zones, though I prefer the zones known as Dupont Circle/Woodley Park and ConventionCenter/Capitol Hill.

Before you bid, read everything at biddinngfortravel.com, especially about strategies for getting "free rebids" and their message list of recent successful bids.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:18 PM

Except, don't try to use my link for biddingfortravel, use yk's, above, since they're a better typist than I!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! I didn't realize there was such a site as biddingfortravel.com.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:28 PM

I would use Priceline for hotels only if you know the city a bit and you are willing to be flexible in order to get a heavy discount on the rate.

Use biddingfortravel.com, read their instructions carefully (there's some detailed tricks that can give you an edge) and investigate the hotels listed on the site in the particular zone & rating you are looking at. Pay special attention to hotel websites as some may charge resort fees/atrocious parking fees ($45/nt in San Francisco!)

Have used PL for hotels in Seattle, Vancouver, San Diego, Oahu (Waikiki), near-Napa, Portland, all with good success.

Use their "name your own price" section, as this is the auction section with the best deals.

Good luck!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:56 PM

Have used Priceline for D.C (area) hotels for the last two years (Dec.04, 05)

Depends on the dates you are traveling.

In 04 stayed at the Hyatt-Crystal City for $55.

O5 it was $55 for Sat., but for Sun-Wed...had to bid $85.

For the time you are looking at I wouldn't be surprised it all the hotels, even Priceline are pricey.....look at biddingfortravel.com
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:05 PM

Priceline only guarantees a room for 2 people, so be careful if you need room for more than 2.

I love Priceline, if you are flexible on the exact hotel you might get. Haven't used it for DC.
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:50 AM

I have used Priceline many times, usually for NYC and Miami Ft Lauderdale area as well as one night stands in other locations. OK, that didn't sound good. What I mean is say 1 night pre cruise or pre early morning flight..... Areas, like DC are so big that they break them up into many little areas so you can easily limit your bid to a certain part of town.

Don't think I used Priceline for a longer trip like to Hawaii because I'd be a little too particular about my hotel for a week or more. Besides, in DC or a place like NYC how long are you going to be in the room anyway?

Go to bidding for travel and check it out then bid away. as someone mentioned, do not bid until you want to accept the room because you'll be stuck with it.
enjoy,
Duane
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:22 AM
JJ5

I use Priceline all the time for 1 to 3 night stays and, gulp, I don't even look at biddingfortravel any more.

You know what, I'm becoming MORE delighted all the time by what I'm getting. I just got Niagara Falls Ontario within the exact block that I wanted for $54 for one night. The rack rate is $100-180 on average.

It works for me.