Used Priceline lately for a D.C. hotel?

Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used Priceline lately for a D.C. hotel?

Southwest released a short sale today, so I booked a cheap flight to D.C. for part of my spring break (I'm a HS teacher), and now I need a cheapie hotel to go along with it. I've used Priceline a good bit in cities I'm very familiar with, but I'm wondering if anyone here uses it for D.C. or has used it lately? Last post I see here is from 2008.

I do use Bidding for Travel website, but as a 10-plus year poster here, I trust my Fodor's buddies SO much more! Thanks for any comments, advise, recommendations, etc.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM

Also try www.betterbidding.com which included Hotwire along with Priceline.

Rates may be high if your spring break coincides with others.

I've had great luck with both Priceline and Hotwire for DC.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 08:28 PM

If you do Dupont Circle or White House/Downtown and 3.5 or above, you will be fine. Safe, good hotels.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

I have never used Hotwire, so not real sure how to strategize there. What scares me most about Priceline or Hotwire is ending up with a hotel far from a metro station. I don't really know what getting around without the metro would entail. Sorry, I'm just too used to Paris and no longer know how to travel in my own country!
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 01:56 AM

There might be something in a hotel description that makes it fairly unique, like a pool when none of the other hotels in the area have a pool, that can help you on Hotwire. I used a forum for advice to choose a hotel in Providence RI and got the one I wanted. I thought Hotwire narrowed down areas pretty well.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM

dfrost is right, you can often narrow it down to the specific hotel or two on Hotwire, due to the amenities list. That's not possible using Priceline (and thus, Priceline is even cheaper than Hotwire). If you narrow it down, you can then check whether the likely hotel is close enough to the metro for you.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the suggestion and help with Hotwire. I used the advice on Better Bidding website, and scored the Carlyle Suites at DuPont Circle for $127 per night. If the hotel is as wonderful as it looks on the website, this should be one terrific stay - and at a price per night that a teacher's salary can afford.

Thanks again for all the help and words of encouragement. Fodorites are always to the rescue!