Priceline, can you bid for a room for four?

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priceline, can you bid for a room for four?

Thinking about bidding for our vacation this summer. We are up in the air as to where to go still. Thinking Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler. But also for other travel, is PL a safe way to book a hotel room even if you have four? Is the gamble about whether you can get two beds or not? Is there a way to get around that. In other words, have families of four had any problems with bidding from PL for hotel rooms and getting two beds once you are at the hotel. Thanks.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:48 AM

This is a frequently-asked question. Plesae search above for "Priceline" to find one of the earlier threads on this topic.

Andrew
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:07 AM

The answer is there's NO WAY to be assured of getting a room for 3 let alone 4 on Priceline. Go to biddingfortravel.com or read the Prcieline website itself. There are certain locations where I guess you might have better luck (& Canada may be one-I don't know) or people have reported being able to add a roll away bed for an additional charge. It really depends on the hotel (big American chains are more likely to have bigger rooms) & availability at time of check in. But bottom line-it's very risky to do this. What you can do is bid on 2 rooms & often get a connecting arrangement & 2 for the price of 1.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 08:36 AM

It's a crapshoot. I call the hotel after getting a room through Priceline or Hotwire. So far I have not had any problem with getting two beds. I just won a great bid for D.C. and was told by the reservationist that she would note my request but that it is not a guarantee. The last hotel just said sure we can do that. I am not using Priceline for New York however because I am aware that many of the rooms don't even offer two beds and it is just too risky. I think NY is an anomaly though.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Don

Definitely a gamble. Got a 3* in Vancouver once via Priceline, and all they had was one-bed rooms left when we checked in (or so we were told, as was another couple checking in at the same time). The room we got was tiny enough that even trying to fit a rollaway next to the one bed would've been a challenge.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Vancouver and Victoria are absolutely beautiful. You are going to love it out there. Not sure about the Priceline hotels..You can always look up hotels there and call them specifically to make sure that you will get the two beds..that's always an option..maybe they can guarantee it over the phone with you. I would check out Orbitz too.. I think they have a new hotel features page where they list everything out and give you one bottom line price. good luck!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:43 AM
GoTravel

New York is not an anomaly. One bed to a room is common in places with older buildings such as Boston, San Francisco, New York, Miami, etc.

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:33 AM

One bed to a room is also common in modern buildings that have oddball sizes; locations near elevator shafts, stairways, ice machines, or former broom closets. Hotels often segregate Priceline users into these classes of rooms, which are smaller in size and therefore only fit one bed.

And please understand that calling the hotel up accomplishes nothing. All they do is put a note in your file, so the agent can look at it when you actually check-in. Your grade of room can only be upgraded by this very agent at that point in time. Keep in mind the agent will see the invoice stating "PAID BY PRICELINE - DO NOT UPGRADE" right in front of his face. Whether he chooses to disregard the upgrade notice is at his discretion!
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:53 AM

"Hotels often segregate Priceline users into these classes of rooms, which are smaller in size and therefore only fit one bed."
I have found this NOT to be true, although my Priceline bargains were not in the cities mentioned by GoTravel. In LA, at the Wyndham Bel Age, our family of four checked in early (I think this is essential by the way) and received a one bedroom corner suite with a king in the br, and a pullout couch in the living room, two balconies, and a wet bar. And all rooms we've had on Priceline were two beds, whether requested or not. Another example: we won a room at the Hyatt Coconut Point in Florida. Upon checkin I asked the clerk for a waterview, she said I have the perfect room. It was a dud, overlooking a parking lot and roof of a lower building. I went to the front desk and sweetly explained (my husband was mortified) that the clerk must have been mistaken, and we were given a gorgeous 2-bed room overlooking the water and pool. I think it's more to do with your attitude, and the time of day/occupancy.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 07:18 AM

The Priceline rules clearly state that the accomodations are for 2 people only. Why are there always questions trying to get around this? If you decide to take your chances there is a real possiblility you will be forced to purchase another room at RACK RATE upon arrival.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 07:32 AM
GoTravel

I wouldn't chance it.

What happens if you only bid for one room, talk to someone in reservations who promises you two beds, show up to a sold out hotel that only has rooms with one bed available?

I wouldn't want to stress myself out over this.