Hotwire Hotel-How were you treated?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked a 4 star through Hotwire in Chicago, and got the Millenium Knickerbocker. I'm not real fussy, but this was the smallest room I've ever stayed in-we couldn't even fully open the bathroom door without hitting the bed. When I asked about a bigger room I was told the hotel was full. However the person in front of me had been offered his choice of 2 doubles or a king size bed, while we had a queen. 4 stars and the room didn't have a coffeepot.
Anyway, should I expect second class treatment when I book through Hotwire? I am 99% certain the hotel was not full since there were no conventions in Chicago this week and hotrooms was offerering really good prices(after I booked on hotwire)
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:35 PM

How big of a discount did you get on this hotel? Were you expecting the Presidential Suite at that price. Think of it from their perspective. If you had smaller rooms, who would you give them to, people who paid $75 or $275?
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:33 PM

I agree with MikeTr. While some have stated that they think there is no difference how you are treated, I only did Priceline once for one night and got a "worst room" of the house. When I asked about the room, the desk clerk clearly stated that I had booked through Priceline.

While Hotwire and Priceline may help them to fill rooms, you can hardly blame them for giving the best rooms to people who paid more and paid directly to them.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:33 PM

I agree with MikeTr. While some have stated that they think there is no difference how you are treated, I only did Priceline once for one night and got a "worst room" of the house. When I asked about the room, the desk clerk clearly stated that I had booked through Priceline.

While Hotwire and Priceline may help them to fill rooms, you can hardly blame them for giving the best rooms to people who paid more and booked directly with them.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Well wasn't that fun? For once I edited my post first, made a slight change to the last line and when I hit "post my reply", it posted both the edited and the unedited version.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:57 PM

I have booked Hotwire many times and always feel just like anyone else checking in.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:24 PM

I've had both types of experiences.
I think it depends on how full the hotel is, how many different types of rooms they have, and whether or not it's a big business hotel vs. a non-chain hotel.
At big impersonal hotels, I don't think there's much difference unless the hotel is close to being booked.
At smaller hotels and non-chains, I think the chances for 'discrimination' are more than trivial.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:49 PM

Have stayed in both Priceline and Hotwire rooms and have not had a bad eperience in any of them. Maybe it depends upon the hotel and how they look at Priceline and Hotwire clients, who knows? In any event, I have not had any problems whatsoever.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 10:24 PM

I did 2 Priceline stays and I could honestly say it has been a 50/50 experience. The first time it was in Manchester, UK, a well known chain hotel and the experience was as described above. The room was ok at best at this 4* hotel, but it probably was one of the least desired rooms at this property. The second time it was a smaller, boutique type of accomodations in London and I did not feel I was placed in the least desired room, although it did not have any view.

Both stays were for 1 night and they were satisfactory, especially for the rate I paid. Still, I do believe there is a difference in the type of the room you get when going through the above mentioned suppliers. I don't blame the hotels, because as others have noted, you get what you pay for, but I would never do a Priceline/Hotwire stay when I'm looking for a specific type of accomodations, or when more than one night stay is required.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 10:33 PM

It's unfortunate you felt that you were treated differently. I have used hotwire extensively and have had great experiences. In fact in some instances, by asking courteously and nicely, had been upgraded to better accommodations. Aside from the space and capacity issues as suggested, I think your experience will also depend on the overall quality of the hotel that you end up with. The Knickerbocker Chicago for example had been reported to have unsatisfactory amenities and customer service and may have contributed to this bad experience and treatment. Using hotwire now has never been easier. There are some sites available now providing clues on which hotel specifically are being offered at hotwire. With this additional information the chances of ending up on a hotel with bad reputation is even lesser.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 03:18 AM
PJKeay

I've often found that if you ask about paying to upgrade your room on check-in, you can get some very good deals.

I think a lot of hotels are going the way of the airlines, why give something away if you pursuade someone to pay a little extra. Or why give your best rooms to someone who is staying one night and will never stay again, particularly when you have plenty of regulars in.

Best example of paying on check-in I had was by paying 40USD on top of my rate of 60USD I upgraded from a standard room in a 5 star hotel in Kuala Lumpur to a club suite on the top floor of the hotel - probably the best room i've ever stayed in, with drinks, food, laundry etc thrown. The hotel normally sells these rooms for over 300USD a night. But the hotel was quiet, and I had stayed there twice before.

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Dan

When I worked in a large hotel in New Orleans, we had "Priceline rooms" on bottom floors, near elevators, etc. They were nice but tended to be the ones that guests liked the least. If we weren't full, we were happy to not use these rooms but we were often full.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:13 AM
OliveOyl

What do you expect when hotels view you as the sort of person who'd push your own non-swimmer kid off the diving board just so you can retreive a quarter off the bottom of the pool?? Sheesh!

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:31 AM

eileenleft,
you have clearly stated what concessions are unacceptable as one who paid less for a room than everyone else. Just curious: please list all the trade-offs you EXPECT (and accept) as a result of paying less than others.
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:52 AM

I disagree with the "what do you expect" comment. If a hotel does not want my business then they should not participate with Priceline/Hotwire. There are a lot of business travelers out there and when you spend weeks or months in hotel rooms it is practical to try to save money. We still spend a significant amount of $$ at the hotel anyway once we arrive there.

Now it is a known fact that Hilton hotels give bad rooms to PL/Hotwire bidders. I do not bid zones where a Hilton is a possiblilty. Out of about 20 Priceline stays I have only been given a bad room on one occasion. I reported the experience to Priceline (as I'm sure many others did) and the hotel was downgraded soon after. I have been upgraded to concierge/suite on 3 occasions and have used my Starwood gold and have still received the perks (upgrade) at Starwood hotels.

That said, Hotwire is more expensive than Priceline. HW is very generous with their * system, their booking fees are higher, and your bid will usually be at least 10-15 dollars per night cheaper on Priceline. There have been times I have booked on PL and checked HW afterwards. Sometimes HW's price is even higher than the hotel's website.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't get the commercial joke. I took the post literally
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:58 AM

Sounds like it really depends on the hotel.

Some hotels think: "Well, glad you found us. We'll make you as comfortable as possible, and hopefully next time you come to our city, you'll want to stay with us again, and by booking through our own computer system.

Other hotels think: "You cheapo will probably just find another HW/PL deal next time, and won't come back to us. So, here's your bottom floor room facing a wall."

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like one can predict which is which.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 08:28 AM
OliveOyl

travelinwifey...yeah and then there all those Hotwire people who jump up and down on the beds! Double sheesh. Glad you realized I was joshing--I was getting worried for a moment there!

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 08:38 AM

Yes, it took me a minute though, I'm embarassed
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 08:38 AM

I used priceline recently for the first time and was very happy. One was a Hilton resort. Priceline was never mentioned and I basically had a choice of which of the towers I wanted when I checked in.
The next was a Sheraton hotel. I showed my SPG card and got bumped up to a nicer room.
The site biddingfortravel.com has member reviews about hotels stays through priceline, so you can see exactly how a particular hotel treats priceline guests. I'm sure it's similar for hotwire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -