Reload this Page >

Practical tips needed on what to bring - condo rentals in Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Iza

I am getting more and more excited about our upcoming trip to Kauai this summer! This board was invaluable in helping me select our rentals and buying our plane tickets. Now I need some packing tips.
We will be renting two condos, one in Poipu and one in Princeville. The first one is rented from an owner (who also lists the rental with Prosser Realty), the second one is through a small agency.
I was told that the rentals are fully equipped, but I am wondering what people usually bring with them when renting condos like that: towels, beach towels, small collapsible cooler with blue ice? (we would like to make sandwiches for lunch if we decide to spend all day on the beach or hiking). We will probably end up eating in for breakfast most days, and possibly some dinners as well.
Do rentals normally provide staples like paper towels, toilet paper, dishwashing liquid etc. or do we have to buy those?
Any other suggestions and tips on what to expect, what to pack and what to buy when we get there.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Suzie

Our condo had all the things you listedlike paper towels and tp, dish soap ets. We were also told ahead of time we would have beach towels but we brought our own anyway becasue we didn't know if the beach towels would be large or bath size. We brought our own snorkle gear and stowed it and the towels our ice chest which we cheked with our luggage. We took duct tape with us to the airport and after they looked into the ice chest we stape it shut. Had no problems with it getting there in good condition. We packed some of our favs like coffee. When we got to our condo they had a starter kit of coffees and jams for breakfast and sugar too. We ate all our breakfasts in and we ate lunches picnic style so we didn't ever have to locate a restuarant and we always had cold water or beer. We totally splurged on all our dinners.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Sarah

Hi Iza: both our rentals provided all of those things. A good Idea to email your condo people. They know most people are at least coming in from a 5 hour flight and don't want the bulk of a cooler, beach chairs and the like.

There is a walmart also just outside of Lehui when you are leaving the airport. The rental people directed us last year. We picked up beach chairs but did not need to as our condo had them. Toilet paper yes, paper towels we brought can't remember if they were there also. Sandwich bags I think that would be something you get for yourself.

Iza There is a guide called the underground guide to Kauai (not ultimate guide). I found it provided info on where and when weekly farmers markets took place. This can be great for fresh leis and produce. Did it say fresh fish, can’t remember but that would be great. THE MOST AMAZING TUNA ON HAWAII and for far less than what we pay here on the east coast.

Another book I found recommended in Ultimate guide is Kathy Morey's "Kauai Trails" (walks strolls and treks on the Garden Isle). I find that I don't want to read about where to go once I am there so I like to plan here, not think there . I plan on looking up trails right around condo, hikes I have not done, don’t know about but can just stroll down.

Last I was reading on another thread that it was a good idea if you had kids to bring lei needles. They are about 6 inches long, I have used them. It can be fun to collect plumeria at the beach or at night and make leis. I just forget the kind of thread that I need. Anyone bored enough to read this entire email, tell me the thread I need?

Anyway, if you want to order these lei needles here is a link

http://www.lava.net/hawaii_treasures/ornaments/shopage5.html

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:44 PM
sss

car rental people directed us to Walmart

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Suzie

Jeez, I reread my post. What a bunch of misspellings, I can hardly understand it. My keyboard must be on the blink! :0

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Sarah

Suzie who cares your info was helpful to me.

Iza I am thinking of looking up Haku lei making (head lei), watched girls making this at a luau in central park and it looked pretty easy, just wrapping rafi (straw like twine_ around flower and then to head ring.

Anyway a craft store on all of the islands and one just in Lihue is

http://www2.benfranklinstores.com/index.asp
I imagine you buy the materials minus the flowers here
If yah care.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Iza

Thanks, Sarah and Suzie. I will e-mail the condo people to ask specific questions.
I actually bought the Underground Guide a couple of weeks ago. I was reading their restaurant section recently and they seem to have some good tips on "local" non-touristy places.
The local government website for Kauai also has farmers markets listings. I will post it here if I can find a link. I am looking forward to that fresh fish, Sarah.
The thread you are looking for Sarah is the "Hawaii with kids" thread (can't remember the exact title, but something to that effect).

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Iza

Sarah, here is the link:
http://www.kauaigov.org/sunshine.htm

You can probably tell that by now I am totally obsessed with Kauai!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Sarah

no Iza I meant the thread that I need to use to make the leis. As I go lei happy before my trip

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Suzie

Iza, One of our questions to the condo was whether they would supply the coffee filters. They were really vague about that saying there would be a starter kit. We packed some coffee filters just in case but they had plenty when we got there. They also had some basic spices for cooking. Our condo had sand chairs in the closet. Actually we thought there was quite a lot of extras available. The front desk also helped us locate anything that was needed.

Wow just remembering some of this takes me back. I'd like to be there right now!!!!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:22 PM
sss

Thanks Iza you are going to have a great time. Don't call yourself obsessed until you find yourself going on and on about lei needles. Oh and I have to keep my self from emailing condo people to see if vases will be available for tall tropical flowers. They are so cheap there I want to place them around the condo. Will inquire closer to the trip though.

I did not buy that underground guide but it is nice to have a cross section. Did you find anything else helpful? You have ultimate guide yes? I found that to be one of my better guide books on Kauai.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Iza

Oops Sarah, did not read your "thread" question carefully enough.
I've had the Ultimate Guide for a few months now and read it several times. I figured I should get another source of information so I bought the Underground Guide. The hiking section and the restaurant section were both pretty good. Also included was a sample CD with some Hawaiian music (so so).