Reload this Page >

Utah Skiing vs. Colorado Skiing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 03:23 PM
Kim

My husband and I are planning our first ski trip out west.

We are lower-level intermediate "cruisers" and like lots of greens and blues, nice "ski village" atmosphere, FEW snowboarders, ski on/ski off condo accomodations, and low-key activities like sleigh/dog sled rides, casual eateries, shopping, etc., rather than partying. We also like, or course great snow (groomed trails) and few lift lines.

We were looking at Beaver Creek, Snowmass and Steamboat, and a friend at work said to check out Utah - specifically Deer Valley and Park City. That we might like it better.

I'd be curious how these 2 resorts compare to what we are currently looking at.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 05:47 PM
Rosemary

Well I would think Park City and Deer Valley would be ideal for you. Deer Valley - no snowboarders. Park City - good town. Both linked by free shuttle bus. Compared with Colorado, very short transit time from Salt Lake City Airport. We had the ski-ing vacation of a lifetime there last year. Hope to return in early April to catch the end of this year's season.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 05:57 PM
Dayle

Hi Kim! I've skied all they places you are considering except Steamboat. From what you say, Deer Valley is the place for you! Lots of ski in/out condos, very classy place ($$$$$$), they limit their lift ticket sales to 5,000 per day and have lots of high speed lifts. They are famous for their grooming, although over the years they have expanded their terrain to include more advanced, ungroomed too. The food is the BEST on the slopes & off. Be sure to try Glitritend at Stein's, reservations required. Also, the Snow Park Seafood Buffet is sinful. You don't need a car, all three resorts, DV, Park City (the original), the town & The Canyons are linked by free shuttle buses. Upper Deer Valley, know as the Silver Lake area, is sort of the village atmosphere, but very quiet. Park City Historic Main Street is where the action is. Watch the Olympics and you'll see Main St. Of course, the Olympics will be the biggest party PC has ever seen - even bigger than the Sundance Film Festival - and Main St. isn't normally that crazy! Lots of excellent restaurants, galleries, shopping, hot air ballooning, sleigh rides & dog sledding, etc. See www.parkcity2002.com or www.skiutah.com for lots of info!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:52 PM
A.M.

I vote for Park City, It has everything you want and for nice easy, wide, long trails spend a day at Alta, no village but great for light blue runs. Utah definitely has THE best snow in North America.
A.M.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 08:49 PM
Dayle

PS Kim: If I remember correctly, there are only 3 ski areas left in the US that ban snowboarding - Deer Valley & Alta, UT and Taos, NM. Aspen (Ajax) Mtn. used to, but just changed their policy this year.

I don't know where you are from, but I find a HUGE difference in the behavior and attitudes of snowboarders in California vs. the Rockies. Riders & skiers in the Rockies are there for the same reason - the snow & the thrill of the sport.

Interestingly, Park City Mountain Resort tried designating a few of their runs as Skiers Only & Boarders Only - it was reversed in just 4 days as a miserable failure. Too many families & friends who do both together - complained!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 03:34 AM
bm

Dayle, don't forget Mad River Glen in Vermont-no snowboarding there either!
Kim, I've been to both Colorado and Utah skiing. IMO, Utah wins HANDS DOWN. Although it's expensive, Deer VAlley seems to be what you are looking for. Great cruising mountain-immaculate grooming. Didnt like Park City Ski Area as much-was more crowded, but it was still fun! From there, you have to take the drive and go ski Alta for a day. Unbelievable!
Park City is a real cool town-good bars, shops, restaurants etc. Park City Ski Area even has a chairlift that goes right to town if you want to take a break from skiing!
Watch the Olympics starting next week and you'll see lots of info on these places I'm sure!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 05:05 AM
lisa

Another vote for Park City/Deer Valley. We go there for all of the reasons you mentioned -- intermediate, groomed trails; good food; shopping/town activities; few or no snowboarders; etc, so I won't reiterate what everone else has already said.

But I do want to add one other plus for Park City/Deer Valley -- easy access. We live on the East Coast and it is an easy, non-stop flight to Salt Lake City and then an easy 30 minute or so drive to Park City. No need to connect to a small airport or make a long, treacherous drive like in CO. Also, you don't have the weather problems that the Denver airport has. In fact, from NYC, you can fly out to Salt Lake in the morning and ski in the afternoon at Park City.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:10 PM
Dayle

Hey thanks, bm! I thought there was one area back east, but I couldn't remember it. I've never skied there...

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Dawn

Kim:

Utah definetly has the best snow on earth!! Powdered snow is always the best!! Deer Valley and Park City would be the ideal places for you. Deer Valley is more laid back and quieter I think...Park City...there is more action pack fun...depending on what type of atmosphere you and your husband is looking at. If you enjoy having some good fun with drinking and dining...along with shopping...Park City would be the one...Deer Valley is more quieter and relaxing. Like others have said...be sure to tune in the Olympics...and you should be able to check it out!! have fun!!

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:47 AM
nothanks

The downside to Utah skiing is that you are constantly accosted by those strange guys in white shirts, skinny black ties, and black slacks trying to convert you to Mormonism....just can't get away from them...damn hard to get a decent drink anywhere too.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Tracey

Kim,
Just thought I'd let you know about Steamboat. I was there a few years ago with a small ski group. We stayed at some condo's about a 5 minute walk to the mountain. Steamboat was nice, but hard to get to from DEN. The flight was almost double there directly. The town was small and contained but what I remember most was the awesome tree skiing. If you are looking for some nice cruisers with a great town, why not try Breckenridge? IMO it was the best skiing in the CO area.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Dayle

Hey Skiers! I just have to tell you that I had one of the most fun days of skiing I've had in years! YeeHA! PERFECT day - blue skies, no wind, excellent snow & NO crowds!! Nothing but great big smiles on the faces of everyone skiing today at Park City! Watched the Hungarian ski team and a few other racers run a few gates too.

The party starts on Thursday when the torch goes through Park City. We are so excited!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 04:15 AM

to the top for Kim

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Mark

I like Utah the best. Very easy to get to the resorts from the airport and great powder. I like Solitude or Brighten myself. If I have time I love to go to Mammoth in California. The best!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:01 PM
liz

Kim,
I have to ask you to consider Vail! This is my all-time favorite. Vail will immediately take away the lift ticket of any skier OR snowboarder going too fast or out of control on groomed slopes. The ski school is just fabulous, you will end up in a class just right for your level and make lots of friends. I like going to ski school all day every day, great way to learn the mountain and improve your skiing. You specified condos, Lions Head is the best area with ski-in and ski-out to within 50 feet or less. The Red Lion is fun for apres-ski and I would NOT describe it as wild, for that try Austria! As your skiing improves (I would give Vail ski school two days to get you to confident intermediates or better) you will lose interest in many off slope activities, though Vail has all that stuff too plus a free bus that takes you all over town and a darling village. You can get FF points for future visits in Vail. About 80% of Vail customers are repeats, probably because every single working person I have ever encountered there has obviously gone thru some sort of customer training and attitude program....do consider it seriously, you will not be sorry and truly cannot do better.