Post Ranch Inn vs. Ventana Vs.Tickle Pink Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in case anyone else is on the fence as to where to stay in Big Sur/Carmel area, here is the general run down of our experiences and opinions. Please feel free to ask about the specifics.

We previously celebrated two anniversaries at Ventana and totally enjoyed our stay every time. It was time to try something new.

So, we spent an amazing Anniversary weekend (December 7-9, 2007) at the Post Ranch Inn ("PRI"), which is definitely several notches above Ventana. However, whether or not it is better to the tune of an extra $1000 for a weekend stay would probably depend on the individual.

First, two things which I believe are somewhat better at Ventana. There are those Japanese baths at Ventana, which have dressing rooms and which make it easier/warmer in the winter months to change into/out of a bathing suit and enter the warm water. There are several pools at PRI, but all of them are right there in the open so it is kind of cold to get in and out of the water in December. The pools are thoroughly heated though.

Another issue is the Sierra Mar restaurant at PRI, which is very upscale with a rather limited menu consisting of wonderful dishes but small portions. So, if one wants to order room service, which we like to do, and just have a bowl of soup and a hamburger or a roast chicken with salad, there is nothing like that on the menu. Ventana's Cielo Restaurant has a more varied menu with different caliber of food on it, including a very traditional Ceasars Salad and roast chicken.

We had dinner at the Sierra Mar on Friday night and it was very-very good. We had the four-course menu at $95/person plus a bottle of wine, so it was a very pricey meal, but we wrote it off as the special Anniversary meal. First course: lobster for me and foes gras for husband. Second course: saffron fish soup with scallops for me, roast beat salad for husband. Main: Steak with greens and fancy potato for me and opakapaka for husband with a wonderful Asian glaze. I had a citrus oriented dessert sampler, while husband had a chocolate volcano, G-d help us! Actually, both of us felt full and had to take the dish with the petit fours and "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate to the room.

The PRI breakfast buffet served both days was exceptional. There were two different types of frittata each day; omelettes and waffles to order, plenty of fresh fruit, hot and cold cereal, baked goods, juices and coffee. Breakfast is served in the Sierra Mar Restaurant with the drop-dead ocean and cliff views. The setting is truly stunning.

Ventana serves a very nice expanded Continental breakfast of cold and hot cereal, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, cheese, breads and baked goods. Breakfast is served in the reception area with a wood-burning fireplace which is very nice and cozy in December. Breakfast location may be rather non-descriptive during summer months.

Our room at PRI was fantastic, although probably a bit smaller than the superior fireplace room at Ventana. At PRI, we stayed in F. Post, which is an upstairs unit of the Coast House with ocean and some tree views. It is expensive ($1,000+) and let me just note for the record here that the daily rate on this room exceeded the amount of my mortgage payment. However, the room and the view were phenomenal.

The bed was about four feet off the floor with beautiful and plushy blankets and pillows, dark green lamp shades, lots of dark wood, very cozy. We had a leather love seat in front of the fireplace and a little coffee table. There is no TV but a terrific stereo system with one of those fancy, multi-channel radio systems.

There was a small fridge, which was filled with wonderful (complimentary) snacks, such as cheese, chocolates, chips, water, natural juices, soda, etc. all there upon our arrival and was refilled the next day. The management sent us a bottle of champagne with a beautiful personal card in honor of the Anniversary, and there were also two half-bottles of red and white wine. There was a bowl of fresh fruit, coffee/coffeemaker, tea, hot chocolate. Throughout our stay, the people went out of their way to make our experience special and they succeeded with flying colors. Whatever one might need during one's stay, is there for the asking.

Bathroom had the gray tile whirlpool tub, a wonderful assortment of bath salts, lotions, lavender soap, etc., and a sliding glass door, and the picture window, onto the trees and the ocean.

We did not make advance reservations at the spa, so they ran out of room, but we got an incredible massage in our room, side by side. Great operators!

There are several Lexis convertibles and sedans, which belong to the property and which guests can borrow to cruise up and down Hwy 1. We cruised around for about an hour, stopping at Nepenthe to browse through the gift store, and visiting the Big Sur Lodge, but we needed to head back in time to have our own "cheese and wine" hour and get ready for massages.

In that regard, Ventana hosts a very nice cheese and wine hour, again, in the reception area with the fireplace on and an opportunity to socialize with other guests.

We also participated in the shaman session with one other couple at PRI. My husband is much better at mysticism than I am, and I found my mind wonder about and away from the drum beat. Still, it was very interesting experience to say the least. We did not really hike per se, but took a few trail walks around the property, discovering secret meadows and enjoying down time on hidden benches.

At first, it is kind of hard to swallow the price of PRI, particularly if one thinks in terms of a price per night, but it really is the price of the entire package here and it was certainly worth it for the beautiful room, views all around us, and incredible, attentive service.

Having experienced both, PRI is without a doubt superior to Ventana.

A few words about Tickle Pink. Based upon the comments on this forum and Trip Advisor, at first, I tried to secure a reservation at Tickle Pink for this anniversary weekend. By the time I called for a room with a view and a fireplace, they only had suites available at $519.00 or $529.00/night. We could have stayed at Ventana for $450.00 in a fireplace room and I really did not want to drive in search of dinner, so we decided against Tickle Pink.

On the way to Big Sur, we drove up the driveway to see the Tickle Pink property. Now, I understand that we merely saw the building and not the individual rooms, and I also understand that there are many posters who are quite fond of the Tickle Pink; however, we were grateful for having chosen PRI for our stay. It may be a very nice place, but it does not seem to be a property which would command $500+/night. Just my marginally informed opinion.

Anna Roz
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 05:18 AM

anna - thanks for the very detailed and excellent report. Really appreciated the comparisons since we love Ventana but have been thinking about trying the PRI for some time. Your descriptions are very helpful.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Sounds like a nice time.

I too love all the snacks that are left stocked in your room at PRI. They are very generous.

Now that you have stayed there, watch for "returing guest" specials and offers. They are usually offered mid-week (Sun-Thurs) from December through April. Two nights in a Butterfly or Tree House with massages for around $1000 -$1250. Still pricey, but a vrey good deal.
Returning guests are also given healthy (20% plus perks) discounts at the sister resorts in Hana, Maui and in Fiji.

Did they have the amatuer astronomer out on the deck at Sierra Mar at night? That is a real treat. They have a very high powered telescope set up on the deck and he will show you all sorts of things in the night sky. Just another thing they do that makes it a special and unique place.

Thanks for taking the time to do this report.

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Excellent report...especially to those of us who want to stay at PRI and/or Ventana, but have not. When that special occassion arises, I'll probably go with PRI.

I have stayed at Tickle Pink Inn...twice. I understand exactly what you're saying, because when we drove up for the first time, I thought this is just a motor inn! As they say, don't judge a book by its cover. Once you're inside and on the other side of the building, it's totally different.

The rooms are lovely. Some are smallish and some are very spacious...some have fireplaces and some do not...hence the price difference. This past November, we stayed in a very spacious ocean view room with a fireplace and nice sitting area along with a balcony. It was on the middle floor, not the top, so it wasn't a "full" ocean view, but still very nice. We paid $329 for each of the two weekend nights and a lower rate plus the AAA discount for the two weekday nights. The $529 rate you're speaking of is probably for their new spa suites which are very spacious and more private...just guessing.

There isn't a restaurant; however, Carmel has many wonderful choices and for something quick, you can walk a few feet down the hill to the Highlands. TPI has a wonderful wine and cheese reception every evening and sitting on that deck, with that view, and visiting with other guests...it's wonderful!

They also have a very nice Continental breakfast with homemade pastries/breads, fruit, fresh squeezed juices, quiche and a meat (it was usually ham). They will deliver it to your room if you prefer.

It's not going to give you the same experience as PRI or Ventana. However, if you want to stay in the Carmel area with a view, Tickle Pink Inn is the best.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

dfr4848, I am glad that the report was of help to you, since this is exactly what we were thinking prior to choosing PRI. We already knew that Ventana was wonderful but heard so many great things about PRI and really wanted to experience it. I highly recommend it.

iamg, I will be on a dire lookout for those returning guests specials, although mid-week may be a problem. We need to work hard around here to be able to afford such luxuries. LOL Yes, there was stargazing offered every evening at 8:00 at/near the Sierra Mar, but now it seems that we foolishly passed it up. Another good reason to look out for the specials.

BTW, we asked to see the interior of a treehouse and thought it was really nice. Some of those treehouses actually have ocean views, at least partial views. The only thing which may be sort of an issue, since treehouses are all on the main drag and this is where everyone walks to/from their rooms, it may be lacking some privacy. Say, if one was exiting the shower, not dressed and came too close to a window, etc. Maybe I am imagining things here... .

jewelhawq, I hear you about the Tickle Pink and its immediate impression. When we drove up, we saw a motel, but I can imagine that rooms are completely different. Yes, the $529.00 are the spa suites and $519.00 are suites less a spa. They did have much better rates for mid-week, less than $300/night.

What can I say? I really recommend PRI or Ventana, if one just cannot swallow the price of PRI. Prior to our stay at PRI, I was thinking that we were total nuts for paying that kind of money and that everyone else there would be nothing less than gazillioners, but there are some regular folks there, young professionals, honeymooners, and us who still have to work for a living. It is a special treat.

Anna
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 10:34 AM

>> at Ventana. There are those Japanese baths at Ventana, which have dressing rooms and which make it easier/warmer in the winter months to change into/out of a bathing suit<<

When did patrons start wearing bathing suits there???

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

You have a point there. Bathing suits are optional, my Dear Friend Stu. We just happened to wear one when we were there, but it would have been totally o.k. not to, since no one can clearly see whether you are wearing one or not once you are in the water.

Anna
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM

Hey Anna,
I have never been to either place... thanks for all the great info! I am still having trouble deciding. Which would you recommend for a sister trip? It's my sister's 40th birthday, we only get one night (so staying on the grounds from check-in to check out would probably be the way to go), and my sister is a chef, major foodie and really into wine. We like doing spa stuff but can do without it, although she definitely appreciates a good soaking experience, private or communal. TV is not important. Maybe the restaurant quality/wine list would be the tiebreaker. I have heard a lot of comparisons... seems like PRI is better for food- wine, but grounds are better at Ventana... help!
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Puff, hope I am not too late. Since my write up, Ventana was sold into a corporate ownership and, frankly, lost its soul. It also became almost as pricey as Post Ranch, which stopped making any sense. Last time we visited Ventana, after the ownership transfer, we were really disappointed with impersonal service, marginal food, questionable housekeeping (there was a dead mouse floating in the Japanese soaking tub. Although I am not rodent phobic, still, it was not right not to have the place checked often enough) so we pretty much gave up on it. As of last visit in November, Post Ranch remains a dream.