COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Ventana Inn vs. Post Ranch Inn vs. ???

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 09:37 PM
Linda

Ventana Inn vs. Post Ranch Inn vs. ???

Thanks for all the great suggestions for an active but pampering weekend getaway from SF in November! Anyone have an opinion between these 2 very highly recommended but pricey places in Big Sur? Or something better that I haven't heard about yet?

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 09:50 PM
Pat

There is nothing in Big Sur nicer than the Post Ranch. If you have the $750 a night it costs for it by all means go for it.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 05:12 AM
J T Kirk

I think they are equally great. Having said that, I will point out that Post Ranch overlooks the ocean whereas Ventana is across the road (although you still have a view of the ocean.) So, I guess this is sort of a point without (much of) a distinction. The last time I checked, Post Ranch was pricier.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:35 AM
stephanie

Just returned from the central CA coast. We visited Post Ranch Inn out of curiousity. It's like no other place you could ever imagine, hotel or otherwise. We didn't actually see any of the rooms, but the brochure shows very inviting pictures of them. We went into the resgistration area & restaurant there which is practically all glass and overlooks the ocean straight down below it. You feel like you're in an aquarium, it's so beautiful. I'm sure that the rooms at the $750 rate are those that sit directly above and overlook the ocean like the restaurant I described above. If you could swing it, stay there! It's true that La Ventana is on the other side of Hwy. 1 from Post Ranch Inn and the ocean. Depends on what you want most, direct ocean views, or spa. We left there thinking we'd like to save up for another visit and a stay at the Post Ranch Inn.

To add to your confusion, I'd also recommend the Highlands Inn and Tickle Pink Inn in Carmel. They are also right off of Hwy 1 and overlooking the ocean, to the S. of the central Carmel area. They are both AAA 4 diamond hotels, and the grounds around both are gorgeous, and have great ocean views.

I wish I had your decision to make!

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 08:35 AM
Steve

It's tough to make a bad choice here. I've spent alot of time at Ventana. I love the place. The ambiance, the rooms, and the food is great. I've had drinks and dinner at Post Ranch. The view there is obviously spectacular, but I can't imagine the rooms to be as nice. The food is great at both places, but the walk through the forest to the Ventana Restaurant is great. If you don end up at Ventana be sure to reserve the right room. There are two or three which are much larger than the already oversized other rooms. One is past the library. I stayed there once and it was a little pricier than the other rooms, but was very private. Be sure to get a room with a jacuzzi on the porch. If you need other tips, email me directly.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 11:25 AM
lisa

I can only speak to Ventana since that is where we stayed. If you go there, make sure you get there in time for the afternoon wine and cheese and fruit. One thing we loved about Ventana was the relaxed, unpretentious, unstuffy atmosphere. The feeling was quiet and relaxing but not uptight at all. If we could have afforded it we probably would have stayed at Post Ranch Inn for the better ocean views, but I did talk to a couple of other guests at Ventana who had been to Post Ranch Inn and said the views were better there but they found Ventana more relaxing. We stayed in the least expensive room at Ventana (which was still a lot) and it had a private deck overlooking a meadow, but no fireplace (the more expensive rooms do have fireplaces though). Our room was very nice and had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in in my whole life. It also had a CD player (you can either bring your own CDs or borrow some from the lobby downstairs) and minibar. Regardless of where you stay, make sure you eat dinner one night at Cielo at Ventana. The walk from the main part of the inn to the restaurant is absolutely magical, through a redwood forest on a lighted path. There is a really wonderful gift shop as well, which is well worth a visit. Wherever you end up, let us know how it was.

Old Mar 16th, 2011, 03:24 PM

I have never been to either place... thanks for all the great info! I am still having trouble deciding. Which would you recommend for a sister trip? It's my sister's 40th birthday, we only get one night (so staying on the grounds from check-in to check out would probably be the way to go), and my sister is a chef, major foodie and really into wine. We like doing spa stuff but can do without it, although she definitely appreciates a good soaking experience, private or communal. TV is not important. Maybe the restaurant quality/wine list would be the tiebreaker. I have heard a lot of comparisons... seems like PRI is better for food- wine, but grounds are better at Ventana... help!
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Welcome to Fodors puff. This thread is 11 years old (I notice you topped another thread -- but that one was only 4 years old )

The search function is great for finding information - but to ask question, it is usually better to just start your own thread instead of tacking on to others especially old moldy things like this one.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 03:51 PM

thanks for the tip janis - just started my own!