Possible Seattle Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to visit Seattle and Vancouver in August. I have come up with the following itinerary for Seattle and would like your opinions.

Day 1- Flight from either New York or Vancouver. Visit Museum of Flight.

Day 2- (a) 3 hour city tour with Seattle Tours
(b) Argosy Boat Cruise

Day 3- (a) Pike Place Market tours with Savor Foods (2+ hours)
(b) Woodland Park Zoo
(c) Henry Chittenden Locks, including salmon ladder

Day 4- Seattle Mariners day game

Day 5- Mount Rainier tour with Sattle Tours

I am planning to stay at the Silver Cloud Inn at Lake Union.

I have heard mixed reviews about visiting the Space Needle and Seattle Art Museum. Are they worth seeing? Is anyone familiar with the Chinatown Discovery Tours offered through the Wing Luke Asian Museum? Are there any restaurants that you can recommend that are nice without being very expensive?

Thanks in advance for your great tips.

David
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:48 PM

What time would you be getting into Seattle? You need a half day for the Museum of Flight at a minimum.

I'm assuming you have dates picked out that give you the day game for the Mariners. You could probably do the Space Needle that morning before heading towards Safeco. I enjoyed the Space Needle last year when I was there. You could also do it after the game.

Which Argosy tour are you looking at? I did the Locks tour and it was great.

The restaurants I went to were the Fisherman (down near the Argosy tours) and Elliots Oyster House. I really enjoyed each one.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Assuming you have selected the attractions that interest you most, the only suggestion I have is that it would be wise to be flexible about the day you visit Mt. Rainier. You want to go on a clear day. It is a rather annoying trip if you don't have a great view of the mountain.

The Seattle Art Museum is very worthwhile for anybody who loves art museums and to others when there is a special exhibit of interest. At the moment SAM is exhibiting Ghiberti’s Gates of Paradise and Roman Art from the Louvre—both very worthwhile.

If you state what kinds of food you like and what you consider to be "not too expensive," I (and others) can give restaurant suggestions.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far. As far as restaurants,I usually like to go to restaurants where the entrees are not more than $20-$25. Except for spicy food, I like all types of food. I particularly enjoy seafood and Italian food. If Seattle is known for certain foods, I would like to sample them.

David
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Since you like seafood, you should definitely go to a seafood restaurant and get Salmon. I had it at The Fishermen and it was excellent.

If you are into Sci Fi, there is a Science Fiction Museum next to the Space Needle as well as a Hall of Music that was worth a visit.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM

The Seattle Art Museum has an outstanding collection of islander art. The special collections mentioned are closing this week but check to see what else will be on show.

You might try to give yourself some time to wander in the historic Pioneer Square area and try some of the excellent coffeeshops, look at galleries, peruse the bookstores.

Many fine restaurants in Seattle are in your price range. I think a highlight is Matt's in the Market, which has great seafood and a gorgeous interior with arch windows overlooking the Sound and Pike Place Market.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:35 AM

You can't go to Seattle without going up the Space Needle!

We stayed in the Silver Cloud at Lake Union and enjoyed it. They have a shuttle service which will take you to several places, including Pike Place, Waterfront and the Space Needle. You don't need organised trips to enjoy most areas of Seattle, imho - but we did take the Duck tour, which we found fun and gave us a great overview of the city.

Mount Rainier is lovely and well worth the trip (we had a hire car, so did it ourselves). Also Mt St Helens if you have enough time to squeeze that in.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I live here, and I love going up the Space Needle when people from out of town come to visit ! ($16 adult)

Another great place to get a city view if the Smith Tower in Pioneer Square where there's an observation deck on the top floor at the Chinese Room. (~$9?)

Seattle Art Museum is nice, but you've got a pretty full itinerary, with more interesting things imo.

I would try the tour because I really like Chinatown, and seems Wing Luke Museum would do a good job, if any one would (just guessing by reputation).

There's lots of nice restaurants of all price ranges, downtown, around South Lake Union, and in the local neighborhoods (your hotel is close to Eastlake, Capitol Hill, etc.).

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:41 AM

Everybody has their favorite restaurants, but some of mine in downtown that fit your requirements are Flying Fish; Bell Street Diner; Sea Garden (Chinatown/International District), for sizzling oysters; and Palomino, for happy hour.

IMHO the expensive trip to the top of the Space Needle is a must only for those who have the need to go to the top of everything. I find the trip to the top of the Smith Tower to be a heck of a lot more fun.

I also recommend taking the bus to Kerry Park (211 W Highland Dr) for a classic view of Seattle, Elliot Bay, and, on a clear day Mt. Rainier. The park is located on Queen Anne Hill. Bus #1, #2, or #13 will drop you off nearby.

If you go to Kerry Park, also walk west on Highland Drive past the imposing homes for additional views of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 08:08 AM

Definitely go to Queen Anne's Hill on a clear day. The view was great. I had a perfect view of Mt Rainier. It was the first morning I was there. As it turns out, it was the only time I saw it...

Space Needle is definitely a tourist trap but you are a tourist. I would do it once, but when I come back to Seattle, I probably won't do it again (unless I am with someone who does). I didn't go to Smith Tower so I have nothing to compare it to.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
A couple of random notes...

You say you're coming in August. Be advised that the first weekend in August this year (Aug 1-3) is the culmination of Seafair week - a local festival thingy that features torchlight parades, rampaging pirates doing offensive things, and - on the last weekend - big hydroplane races on Lake Washington and a big air show featuring the Blue Angels. Especially on the final Sunday (the 3rd, also a day game at Safeco) traffic and congestion will be a significant factor around town.

I have a hard time imagining how you could tour the MoF the same day as arriving from "either New York or Vancouver." If New York, that would be an awfully long day; if Vancouver, no problem.

As far as food goes, there are umpteen restaurants at or below your price point - it's really not an issue. Frankly, I think you'd be better off using a walk-and-nosh approach given your itinerary. There is wonderful food to be had in the Market precincts, in the ID (Chinatown) or around Lake Union. For example, a self-managed walking tour of Uwajimaya, a mega Japanese/Pan-Asian supermarket in the International District (can be done before the game at Safeco) will provide you with a fun and interesting shopping experience, plus a great Asian food court with everything from Chinese pastries to Thai/Filipino/Japanese/Hawaiian... you name it... food choices, all priced very cheaply. That and an order of garlic fries at the ball park (apologize to everyone around you first) and you're set for a day.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the excellent tips. I am looking forward to my trip to Seattle from August 20th-25th. I recently found out that a friend of mine visited there several years ago and loved it. I am sure that I will, too.

David