Two full days in seattle

Search

Two full days in seattle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two full days in seattle

What are the highlights to be seen in this short time? We like museums, outdoors, good food.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:28 PM

Our favorite places were: Pikes Place Market, the Space Needle, a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island and the Seattle waterfront. We loved all the modes of transportation. Hotel shuttle, monorail, taxi cabs, ferries, so much going on all the time.

Others will have good ideas, the Kubota Gardens and the museums are some places we'll catch on our next trip.

Good food: Flying Fish, Dahlia Lounge, Six Seven, Salty's and the great outdoor cafes at Pike's Place Market and the waterfront. We also enjoyed the Seattle aquarium. Lots of different things that even the Monterey one doesn't have. Enjoy Seattle!! Access Seattle has been a recommended travel guide to first-timers. ***kim***
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 05:01 AM

All of the above are good choices.

If you've any interest in aviation, you might want to consider the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field (http://www.museumofflight.org/). They now have one of the concords open for tours (weather permitting) and in June are set to open a whole new wing dedicated to WW1 & WW2 aircraft.

Also consider the Pioneer Square area. Lots of interesting buildings and shops. The Seattle Underground Tour (in the area) is not as spectacular as some might expect, but the narrative about the rather shady history of the city is pretty darned funny.

What time of year are you going? The weather can have a big factor on what you might enjoy.

Ken
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Where are you coming from? when will you be here?

The Seattle Art Musuem has an Van Gogh to Mondrian: Modern Art from the Kröller-Müller Museum starting May 29th. Also the Science Center has a huge Space exhibit right now that is suppose to be one of the best in the country.

Maybe a drive out to Snoqualmie Falls (short hike down) returning thru Woodinville with a stop at Chatueau St. Michelle, Columbia Wineries and/or Redhood Ale House.

You can't come to Seattle without a stop at the Market. It's called Pike Place (not Pike's although many tourists make this mistake). Stroll thru in the morning and then grab lunch at Le Pichet on 1st and Virgina (you'll think your in Paris!)

A Mariner's game if it's spring, sooo fun!!

where are you staying? Kimamom lists great restaurants. I would also add Marco's Supper Club (1st and Wall), Palace Kitchen, Waterfront, Teatro Zinzani if it is still playing (dinner theater extradonaire!)

Hope this helps
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 05:54 PM

Hi Wendy! What is Teatro Zinzani? It sounds like somthing I would be interested in! ***kim***
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 09:39 AM

http://dreams.zinzanni.org/

Zinzanni is a really unique show which fuses dinner, theater, circus, vaudville, etc. It's completely crazy and over the top. They have done shows in Seattle and San Fran, each time they schedule a 4 month stint they sell out every night and end up staying for a year or more!

some people think it is expensive but you get a 3 hour show PLUS a 5 course meal done by Tom Douglas (Dahlia, Etta's, Palace) for $100. The tickets I want to see Chicago at the Paramount are $60 and that doesn't include dinner. I think it's the best bang for the buck in Seattle.

I've seen both shows and will continue to go as it is fun, fun, fun!!!
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 10:12 AM

It sounds great!! I'm going to try to schedule this for our trip in August. Tom Douglas is an excellent chef! I hope to try Etta's or the Palace Kitchen this summer also. There was recently an article in Coastal Living featuring Tom Douglas and his lovely family. Thanks for the hot tip!! ***kim***
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:34 AM

<Author: Wendy>

<Kimamom lists great restaurants>

Yes, but does she speak from personal experience or is this all her typical Googled or taking from others suggestions?

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:05 AM

Hot off the presses! Just tried out a new restaurant last weekend. Union which is on 1st and Union (go figure!) Amazing food! Primarily french. Fantastic tasting menu- $45 for 5 courses. Cocktails are wonderful!Service was the best!! If you get a chance I think you will love it. they do lunch also.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the tip, Wendy! We'll add this one to our list when we go to Seattle in August. ***kim***
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Experience Music Project. Rock music museum in a Frank Gehry architectural masterpiece.

Ballard Locks for a polar opposite experience.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 06:22 PM

Gonna hitch onto this thread as I wil be visiting Seattle over the labor day weekend and have a few quick questions:

1) We are planning on staying at the Renaissance on Madison (downtown) - is this a "walkable" hotel, ie easy and short (10 blocks or less) walk to Pike Place, waterfront, etc.?

2) We want to go to the Museum of Flight but will not have a car - how are the transportation options to this museum from downtown? I noticed that the Seattle Metro offers a visitor pass for $5.00 (1 day pass all over the area) which could get us there but might not be worth paying for the day pass - read that there were free trolleys downtown. Already read that the monorail is out of action.

Looking forward to the trip - thanks for any answers that are provided.

Ken
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 06:37 PM

jabice: If you're into tours, a good one is the "Duck" tour, described at www.ridetheducksofseattle.com. The 1 1/2 tour is fun and informative, and includes downtown, Pioneer Square, the waterfront, goes past the market, up to Fremont, and back down into Lake Union for a rocking cruise around the houseboat communities. Buy tickets across the street from the EMP and Space Needle at least 1/2 hr. ahead of time.

I also second the recommendation of the EMP (Experience Music Project); however, if you're real music fans, you'll spend hours there.

Donna
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:01 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
All the buses within the downtown area (not the trolleys) are free; you pay on exiting $1.25) when leaving downtown, on entering when you're going toward downtown.

Bus 174 on Second Avenue goes right to the MoF. Get off when the bus swerves to avoid the nosecone of the Concorde, parked across the street from the main museum entrance (you need to walk around to the runway side of the building to enter.)

The bus pass might be a good idea; the transit system is very comprehensive. Go to http://transit.metrokc.gov/ for routes and all that.

The Renaissance is certainly located in walking distance to the downtown action; you will quickly discover, however, that downtown is quite hilly. Ask the concierge or the desk about using parts of the "inside passage" if you're here on a workday and/or the weather is poopy.

You are no doubt aware (?) that Labor Day weekend is an orgy of performing arts at the Bumbershoot festival at Seattle Center. www.bumbershoot.org for lineups. By far the biggest deal of the year in Seattle, maybe excepting the invasion of the Seafair Pirates, a group of middle-aged men who ride around town dressed up as pirates, threatening young women with their rubber swords.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:18 PM

Hi jabice,
We visited Seattle for four days in July. I have to throw in that one of the highlights for our family was the new Seattle Public Library, located downtown. My husband and son don't even like to read, but they were blown away by the building and we cruised every floor.

Have fun.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:37 PM

Thanks dwoodliff and Gardyloo.

Yeah - I've read all about Bumbershoot but not sure if we'll spend time there as we don't want to miss all the regular sights of Seattle. Maybe next labor day for Bumbershoot if we really enjoy Seattle. EMP might be a nice compromise instead of the festival.

We'll check out "the inside passage" but are planning on walking up and down the downtown hills. The duck tour sounds fun but we're planning on taking an argosy cruise or the ferry to Bainbridge so we might skip that.

Have also read and heard that the Underground Tour is fascinating and interesting.

Thanks - I'll post a quick trip report when we get back.

Ken
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:50 AM

For a great spot to watch the darkness settle over the city and the city lights to come up with a view of Mt. Rainier in the distance and the Space Needle in the middle go to Queen Anne's Hill. There is a fair aquarium near Pike St. Market. If you are into planes could visit the Boeing factory in Everett and see the 747 & 777 being made.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:00 AM

If you have a car and chose to dedicate an entire day to the side trip, Mount Ranier is a spectacular visit. The waterfalls along the road to Paradise Lodge are lovely, the hiking trail from Paradise is one of the best, and the vistas are world class. You will not regret this destination if you head south from Seattle.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Wow...so much to see, so little time! We aren't going to rent a car unless I get opinions here that it is worth it. We plan on staying downtown and using the bus/taxis to get around. Two full days doesn't seem worth it to rent a car but it might save us on some transportation fees.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Hi, I was just curious about where you were staying? We might go in October and need ideas on hotels with views? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -