Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Your top 10 things to do or see in Seattle, so I may do them to.

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Thnaks for your time. After reading many websites I again have turned to my old friends The Fodorites to help me with my trip. I have 3 days in Seattle and we (hubby and I) want to do some unique fun things. My hubby thought of going squid fishing?? Maybe see a comedy show, I may take the food tour. Whatever you think please let us know, no idea is to boring or to wierd.

Thanks for your time!!!
Mom(not going with her 5)
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM

The only place I've been squid fishing was out at Port Angeles. You can fish for fish off the pier at Seacrest Park in West Seattle, but I would be surprised if you saw squid there. If you want unique, fun, and silly, you could do a sort of treasure hunt where you take pictures of yourselves with the various Seattle landmarks (Rachel the pig at Pike Place, the Troll and Lenin in Fremont, etc).
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 10:31 AM
ALF

Take a boat ride:
- If you have no car and want a short trip, go from downtown to Bainbridge Island and back. For a long day or overnight trip, take the Victoria Clipper to Victoria and back.
- If you have a car and want a half-day trip, go from downtown to Bainbridge, then drive north to Kingston, where you take the ferry to Edmonds, then drive back to Seattle. For an all-day trip, drive to Mukilteo, then take the Clinton ferry. Drive up Whidbey Island, stopping at the quaint town of Langley, then stopping at the Deception Pass Bridge before crossing onto Fidalgo Island. Drive to the top of Mt. Erie lookout for spectacular views, then drive back.

Take a drive:
- Take I-90 to Snoqualmie, the view Snoqualmie Falls. Check out the upper viewpoint, then hike or drive down to the base.
- Continue on I-90 to Snoqualmie Pass for mountain scenery
- Drive to Mt. Rainier for spectacular mountain views, snow and wildflowers.

Take a tour:
- Ride a 'duck' boat out onto Elliot Bay. Touristy but fun.
- Take a bay cruise on an Argosy boat.
- Take a boat out to Tillicum Village on Blake Island, for a Pacific Coast Indian dinner and dance show
- Take Speidel's Underground tour of Seattle
- Take a tour of the Ballard canal locks (or go there yourself). Watch the fish swimming through.
- Take a scenic float plane tour of Seattle.
- Ride the Monorail from Seattle Center to downtown.
- Tour the art galleries in Pioneer Square
- 'Savor Seattle' Food Tour
- Tour the wineries in Woodinville

Visit a museum:
- Seattle Art Museum (SAM)
- The Museum of Flight at Boeing Field
- Experience Music Project, a contemporary music 'museum' at Seattle Center. Also houses the Science Fiction Museum.
- The Woodland Park Zoo
- The Seattle Aquarium
- the brand-new Wing Luke Asian Museum
- the Future of Flight Museum and Boeing factory tour, in Everett.
- The Frye Art Museum, contemporary art and design.
- The Pacific Science Center, at Seattle Center
- The Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI)
- The Olympic Outdoor Sculpture Garden
- The Burke Natural History Museum at the U of Washington.
- The Museum of Glass, in Tacoma
- Gold Rush National Historic Park, in Pioneer Square

Visit a landmark:
- Pike Place Market
- Space Needle and Seattle Center. Its not a great dinner, but its fun to dine in the restaurant, which slowly rotates.
- Seattle Waterfront
- Seattle Public Library - spectacular architecture!
- Safeco Field - take in a baseball game
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Alf,

I agree with almost all of your suggestions, but I'm unhappy that you told Momof5 about Mt. Erie! That is a really special place that we on Fidalgo Island like to think of as our own secret.

If you must sneak into our backyard, be aware that there are actually five lookout points on the mountain that give you unparalleled views of Anacortes, the San Juan Islands, Deception Pass and Whidbey Island, and Mt. Baker.

Old Jun 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM

I always recommend the boat trip to Tillicum Village on Blake Island; scenic trip, salmon dinner, traditional Indian dance show. Leaves from Pier 55.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM

If you really want some fun rent a houseboat On Lake Union.

These are really HOUSE BOATs..like Sleepless In Seattle ....make sure it has a deck and watch the fun on Lake Union activity, feed the ducks and with the proper fish license you can fish.. or you could rent a Tug boat to stay on too...
IF not of that appeals: do a DUCK Tour

Or go to a movie at The Harvard Exit..."independent and forgien films, one of the Nations Best Theater Lobbys and venue of the Seattle INTL film Festival."

HAve dinner at the Deluxe Tavern, around the corner, a Capital Hill dive for years.

Klondike Gold Rush NAtional HIstoric PArk

Discovery PArk
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Alf
My goodness you must have hand crmpa. Thank you to all of you for advice I am going to print this out and help my hubby choose. Can you see Victoria in a day?? Where do I catch the boat at and how long does it take to cross. I love all the good ideas! Anything others let me know your ideas.

Thanks for your time and awesome ideas.

Momof5
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Don't forget the maritime museum in seattle and pikes place market; you must see the flying fish guys!!! You'll know what i mean when you see it and you should go to the EMP Experience Music Project!!!!(right next to the space needle) go to a beach if you can and try to see the glass bridge in tacoma!! It's very cool!!! (look up!!)
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
you can do a 1 day trip to victoria vis the Victoria Clipper ... but you get only a taste of Victoria and it's a long day.
Lv Seattle - Ar Victoria
7:30 AM - 10:30AM
8:30 AM - 11:15 AM
LV Victoria - AR Seattle
5:30 PM - 8:15 PM
7:00 PM - 9:45 PM
http://www.clippervacations.com/ferry/ferryschedule

Their terminal is on the waterfront downtown Seattle. Towards the south end of the waterfront is the Washington State Ferry terminal to Winslow and Bainbridge Island. About 8 or 10 blocks north of it is the Victoria Clipper ferry (don't confuse the two)
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM

WOW, you guys have covered so much already, especially ALF.

A few that haven't been mentioned:

--go to the Arboredum and visit the Japanese Garden

--go to the Univ. of Washington campus and visit Red Square and perhaps some of the museums on campus.

--get some inexpensive but yummy food in the U District

--take the ferry from Pioneer Square to Alki Point and spend some time on the beach in Alki

--go to one of the many terrific Happy Hours--check out SeattleWeekly.com for a list

--go to The Center for Wooden Boats on Lake Union and rent a boat

--check out the Rose Garden by the Woodlawn Park Zoo

--take a ride to Stevens Pass and hike around the cute town of Index

--bring some sunshine from whereever you're coming from so that you'll be able to do all these fun things
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Teatro Zinzanni is great fun- comedy
Its a dinner theatre- cross between Moulon Rouge and Cirque du Soleil in an antique wooden circus tent
Have gone a couple of times and loved it.

And I second Tillicum Village - best salmon I have ever had
and you cant go wrong with a day trip to Victoria - you can also take a float place over - leaves from Lake Union and lands in the Victoria Harbor - not in expensive to do that though.

Old Jun 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM

There's a maritime museum in Seattle?
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Duh to self - the Odyssey center, of course.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM
ALF

Is Teatro Zinzanni really worth it? We thought of going, but it is awfully expensive.
Al F.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
TZ is a very high-energy dinner cabaret thing, almost dinner-circus. We've been twice, which IMO is once too often, but others we know absolutely adore it. It's utterly a matter of taste - if you enjoy outrageous acts (many involving poor schnooks from the audience) and nonstop theatrics (and okay, not outstanding food) then give it a go.

Otherwise hit Jazz Alley or any number of music venues, or maybe the theater. On a per capita basis, Seattle has second highest (after NYC) live theater attendance in the country.