Reload this Page >

Possible Relocation To Baltimore?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:08 PM
LT

I am considering taking a job in Baltimore. I am from the midwest, and live in a small town. I have lived in large cities before (DC, LA, Seattle), but since I have been living here, I have become totally attached to the small-town lifestyle. I am definitely not a "city person," and I'm not crazy about the suburbs, either.

Any of you current/former Baltimore residents have any suggestions? Please keep in mind that I would be looking for a rental. . . What about living on the Eastern Shore and commuting? Would PA be too far away? What about west or northwest of the city? Any areas to avoid?

Any thoughtful responses would be GREATLY appreciated. . . !

Thanks!

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Clara

It all depends on what part of Baltimore- is your job going to be located in downtown Baltimore?

How much driving do you like to do? Personally, I think the eastern shore is too long a commute, but I'm the type who doesn't like to drive more than 45 minutes to get to work every day.

Same with PA- I have a friend who does it every day, but I don't think an hour each way for a commute is worthwhile, but if you enjoy driving, then there are a lot of nice communiciteis right over the line in PA.

I'll check back later to see if I can provide any more info!

As far as renting- would you be looking for an apartment or a house? There are a lot of nice places to rent. I would try to stay away from Glen Burnie, which is just south of the city. To the northwest you have Pikesville and Reisterstown, both of which have nice apartments.

Look at a map- anything along the I-95 corridor is going to be expensive.

Old May 14th, 2002, 08:04 PM
LT

Clara:

Thanks for the response. I would be working in north Baltimore, basically right at the city limits, and near the Jones Falls Expressway.

As far as driving, I'd be willing to do 45 mins. - 1 hr. in order to live in a small town.

As far as renting, I'd prefer a townhouse or small house, but of course, it depends on what I can get for what I'll be able to afford.

Hope this hleps!

THANKS, and if there are any other Baltimore experts out there, I'd appreciate your advice, also!

Old May 15th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Stella

LT, the Eastern shore would be a very long and aggravating commute. Clara's right about PA as well, although a lot of people do it. Go up the Jones Falls (I-83) to the Timonium/Cockeysville/Lutherville area. There are a lot of apartments and townhomes in these areas. It is suburbia, but very nice, and very convenient to downtown Baltimore. You may want to think about Towson too.

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Clara

Hmmm... Well, I'd look into renting a private townhouse in Owings Mills, although that area is booming right now and it is growing into a congested area.

With where you'd be working, PA might not be a bad commute for you. Stewartstown and Shrewbury are two towns that are right over the border and wouldn't be that long a drive for you.

You might also look into Timonium or Cockeysville, but if you're really looking for more of a small town feel, I have a feeling that any of the places I've mentioned are going to be too city-like, with lots of people.

Old May 15th, 2002, 10:55 AM
rudy

Check out Mays Chapel Village in Timonium. It's just off I83 and a short drive to the JFX. There are apartments, townhouses, condos, and it's very convenient to stores, post office, gas stations, etc. It's a safe and friendly area with a small town feel to it. Lots of good restaurants are in that area. Most of the townhouses and condos are owned, but many owners rent them out.

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:45 PM
xxx

Ha

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:46 PM
LT

Clara, Stella & Rudy:

Many, MANY thanks for your helpful responses! If this job works out, I'll definately check out the Timonium area, as well as the communities in PA.

Again, thanks, and if there are any other Baltimore experts out there, please keep the suggestions coming!

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest looking into Towson or North Baltimore areas such as Roger's Forge, Charles Village, Roland Park, Mt. Washington...

Catonsville and Ellicott City may also be worth checking out, they are both southwest with neighborhoods that offer more of a town feel than a sterile suburban feel.

good luck!
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 04:38 AM

Due to Route 97, living on Kent Island is practicible if you work south of the city center of Baltimore.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 05:05 AM

WOW, somebody brought this old thread back. I would have thought that LT would have made some decision by now, 1 1/2 years later.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 07:37 AM

LT:

I lived in Baltimore for 2 yrs at 1010 St. Paul Street, which is a 10 story apt complex. Security at the door. I had an efficiency but there are 1 and 2 BD if they are available. The location is 10-12 blocks from Inner Harbor and around some really nice restaurants on Charles Street. Prime location - not far from Pennsylvania Station (train)- I use to commute and walk there and not far from Johns Hopkins. If you wanted to take a subway to a mall north of the City its not far away either. When living in Baltimore at this location I didn't really feel like it was super urban; the city is basically made up of ethnic neighborhoods and the people are friendly.