Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Portland this weekend, any new/don't miss restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I are doing a mini break in Portland this weekend. We are from Seattle and go a couple times a year for some shopping and to check out new restaurants and bars. I'm having a hard time deciding on where to go this year. We have been to Higgins, Jakes, Mothers, Saucebox. We are going to go to Bartini for happy hour and I'd really like to try one of the new wine bars. Now for dinner??? Navarre? BlueHour? Oba!?? What do you think? Where should we go? Help!!! Leaving tomorrow morning
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Our favorite is the Heathman. When we ate there last time and ask our waiter for a suggestion, he gave us Oba which I understand is a "scene." That's not our cup of tea, but you might like it.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Aside from Bread and Ink (Hawthorn) and Papa Haydn's (23rd), where they ought to give us stock options by now, I'd be tempted to check out Caprial's - I loved her TV shows. Also we had an excellent meal in January (right after the big storm) at Brasserie Montmartre - the food was amazing given that there were 100+ of us for a wedding rehersal (!) dinner.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:54 PM

The Veritable Quandry (VQ) is a very nice upscale restaurant in downtown Portland.

We also like The Harborside located right on the waterfront. If you enjoy fresh, fresh, seafood it is excellent.

I've also heard good things about a place called the Wine Down for small plates and tapas. Anyone been there? ***kim***
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:58 PM

I think you'd like Noble Rot on NE Ankeny. Guess you'd call it a wine bar, but the tapas are wonderfully tasty as well; one of my more enjoyable dining experiences lately.

Alba is another great little place, though it's located in a SW suburb. IMO, one of the better italian places in town.

Truthfully, I'm not a fan of either BlueHour or Oba. Their food is good, maybe great, but I've not understood all the hype.

There's a new Peruvian restaurant near BlueHour that's getting good reviews too. Can't remember the name, but if you end up there (from personal experience) don't order the paella.

Haven't had the pleasure of Navarre.

Enjoy Portland. The weather is supposed to cooperate for you.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:02 PM

Stormygirl, the website to VQ is www.veritablequandary.com They have an amazing wine list and a very good selection of wines by the glass. Hope you find a great place in Portland! ***kim***
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Great info as always guys!! I appreciate it. Everything sounds good. Kimamom The Harborside is a chair run by McCormicks so we'll skip that (but I do like their restaurants it's just that we have them here in Seattle too).

ok, now to narrow it down!!!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:47 PM

You may want to post your questions on Chowhound, they are real foodies over there and could offer you some more options! ***kim*** www.chowhound.com
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Thought of a couple more you might like, both italian: Cafe Mingo on NW 21st, and Piazza Italia on NW Johnson in the Pearl. It's a hole-in-the-wall sort of place, but the food at Mingo is very good (so's the wine list). And there's a wine bar next door.

Piazza Italia is run by an italian family, so speaking the language adds to the experience. Food is more comfort italian, a little down scale from Alba and Mingo. But it's a fun place to have a meal.

Okay, one more. It's been around a while, but Laslow's on NW 23rd still does a nice job. More traditional NW fare, but not the typical preparation or presentation. The chef and operator is one of the better known in the area.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

too many restaurants, too little time!

ok my friend has picked Fratelli for Sat night. Italian? Haven't heard of it but she read an article.

still making my choices!!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Yes, Fratelli's is italian. Actually, I was going to recommend it, but had already given enough italian options. If for some reason you don't like it Oba is next door.

I'm still pushing Noble Rot, though. Check it out at http://portland.citysearch.com/profi..._0_profile_2_1
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

what area is Noble Rot in? I've read tons of good stuff on them!

I THINK we are going to do Bartini for happy hour on Thurs night and then Navarre which seems to be in the same area?

Fri we will try 750ml before our theater show at 8pm and then Brasserie Montmarte at 10:30

I really want to try the Heathman but it's a bit pricey for my friend this time around.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Don't know if you'll see this stormygirl, but Noble Rot is on the east side of the river (maybe 25 blocks), one block off Burnside. There is some nice shopping and dining in the area, but it's not like the Pearl or NW 23rd.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:24 AM

I know this is too late, but I just read about a new place that opened in Portland that is getting rave reviews called ClarkLewis. Anyone been there yet and was it good? ***kim***
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:06 AM

Just wondering if stormygirl has any restaurant reviews for us Portland locals.