Portland restaurant with healthy choices?

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Portland restaurant with healthy choices?

We're going up to Portland tonight to see the benefit Pearl Jam concert at the Schnitz (yeah!). We have time for dinner, but just got back from a gluttonous trip to the Napa and Sonoma Valleys (trip report coming)...so we aren't interested in doing it up. Where is a good place to grab a great dinner but that won't be too heavy or calorie-laden? We're open to ethnic choices as well as Northwest cuisine. Somewhere in the vicinity wouldn't hurt but we would be willing to go to the Pearl, etc. Thanks!!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Right behind the Schnitzer on Park is a seafood place called Southpark.. wonderful seafood, really nice space..most restaurants here use local produce which is mostly or all organic.
Next door is the Heathman Hotel which has a very nice dining room/menu which might also be 'doing it up' too much..but the bar has a nice menu too and nice seating.
Down around the corner is the Paramount Hotel and they have Dragonfish which is also down the block from Southpark..this is Asian fusion type food, good .
One warning, try to book a table now-every where can be mobbed right after any show at the Schnitz
Enjoy!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Hey Scarlett, thanks, I figured I'd hear from you today! You're the Portland goddess! Both Southpark and Dragonfish sound like good choices. I'll check it out.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:28 AM

LOL, thank you.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Okay, my husband now indicates to me that he has eaten at Dragonfish and wants to go more casual than that--somewhere in tshirt and shorts. So, that being said what about somewhere that might serve good asian of some sort nearby that we could hopefully walk-in without a reservation and still get something yummy but not too heavy?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM

You can go anywhere in Portland in tee shirts and shorts but how about...
Red Star Tavern at the 5th Avenue Suites on 5th & Alder.
Carafe Bistro on SW Market.
Mothers Bistro or Mama Mia ( same owner, same bldg) down on Stark & 2nd
My mind has now gone blank..hope this helps.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM

I do realize that none of the places mentioned by me were especially Asian lol...Typhoon is down on SW Broadway by the Lucia Hotel and while you will see people dressed well, you will still see casual..Thai food and just wonderful!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Kal

I have a yen for Asian food.

Any ***yummy*** healthy choices?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Hmmm..... yeah, I think t-shirt and shorts are fine in any restaurant, but I don't know if I'd feel comfortable dressed like that at the Schnitz.

Scarlett's pretty well covered the restaurant bases. I was gonna suggest Higgins, but that's not really a drop-in-w/o-reservations sort of place. Not asian either!!

Pick Typhoon! It's always good.

Kal, I don't think there are any ***yummy*** choices to satisfy your yen. But, if it was a yuan, I'm sure you'd get a suggestion or two. ;-)
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Hey everyone, thanks for the info. Some good ideas. I've only ever eaten breakfast at Red Star but like it a lot. I'll let you know where we end up.

Beachbum, I know what you're saying about the Schnitz, but it IS Pearl Jam! A benefit, but a rock concert nonetheless! Unless I am missing something, I would assume a tshirt and shorts would fly....?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:18 PM

I haven't been to a rock in a loonnnggg time. They're not like Woodstock anymore??? I'm just trying to imaging one at the Schnitz, where I've usually snoozed through any concert I've attended. Heck, wear whatever you want, noryglory.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:34 PM

LOL beachbum, yes, Pearl Jam!! when I told the Yankee, he said why don't we go? lol...actually I would.but really wish my son were here to go.

Kal, yummy left my vocabulary sometime around my 13th birthday ...ar ar ar ~
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Ha, I believe I started the Yummy jokes. Sorry, I have a six- and two-year-old. While "yummy" might have also left my vocabulary for a while, unfortunately it's back with a vengance. I also use the hysterical words kids use for elimination and private parts. But those words are probably safer left unsaid. ;-)
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:46 PM

No, noryglory, you did not start the "yummy" business that I am referring to and it is natural for your small children to teach you new words LOL
But there are adults who should by now have an adults vocabulary and still use ** yummy * *sorts of words for descrptions of their "fine dining" experiences..
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:54 PM

What's wrong with ***yummy***? :-?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Regarding Healthy Choices in Portland...

Red Star Tavern
Castagna
Veritable Quandary
and Pazzo
have joined the boycott by the Humane Society over the Canadian bludgeoning to death of baby seals.
They are not buying seafood from Candada and are mostly buying from California .. So far 300 restaurants nationwide are a part of this boycott.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Kal

Nuthin' at all Faina2 'cuz I think you're ****yummy***!

http://tinyurl.com/pk77a
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:29 PM

what did Kal put in my drink when I was not looking? :-?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 07:28 PM

That might be the first photo I have seen of Kal when he was not eating

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys, well thanks again. We decided to go to Dragonfish after all. Of course, no problemo on the tee and shorts (at either venue)! I don't know if anyone has ever rocked the Schnitz harder, really. What? Did you say something? I can't hear you!

I called and got a reservation at 6:45 before the show and we were seated immediately. DH had sashimi (he was the one looking for healthy and lite, more than I, LOL!) and I had one of the specials, a beef mu-shu sort of thing. It was nothing like traditional mu-shu, the steak was left uncut, wrapped and briefly fried in spring roll wrappers and laid on a bed of mu-shu like veggies drenched in a plum sauce. It was heavy, saucy, I'm sure calorie-laden, and--dare I say it?--YUMMY! ;-) I also indulged in a tiki-glass full of Mai Tai. Did I say I was done being gluttonous?! Okay, well maybe I am NOW.

Thanks again, it was ideal from both flavors and location. The concert was pretty great too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO