Portland, OR. Restaurants???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2003, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Portland for my husband's 60th b'day....
I am looking for "good, creative food"...over ambience.
No franchises or steak houses.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:46 AM

Recently returned from a week in Portland. They were, possibly still are, running a "25 for $25" restaurant promotion where 25 of the best restaurants in the city offered a complete meal - appetizer, entree, dessert - for $25

Had time for only three of them, one of which was a steakhouse, so I won't even mention it, although it was quite good. Southpark, near the theatre and art museum was terrific. Fits your description perfectly. The other Wildwood or something like that had been extremely well reviewed and has a celebrity chef. I found the food only OK, and the chaotic atmosphere was too much to take. Would not recommend it at all, especially for a special occasion. Saucebox, also highly reviewed here and elsewere, I found somewhat disappointing as well, like a dating bar with a menu.
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:58 AM

Hello,

London Grill at Benson Hotel downtown has very nice food. You have to call for the brunch reservation in advance.
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:03 AM

Higgins, in downtown Portland, was selected as restaurant of the year in a local dining guide. I've not had the pleasure, but judging by the competition, it must be pretty good.

A new favorite of mine is Fratelli's, in Portland's Pearl District: italian, with a NW twist. I also like Laslow's off NW 23rd. Great food, with a wine list thoughtfully tailored to the menu.

The recommended Southpark is good too if you're looking for seafood. But I think you can find better ambience without sacrificing food quality.
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:44 AM

I recommend BlueHour. This is in the Pearl District(the arts district) and a very creative space and menu. The dishes for the most part feature regional foods cooked in imaginative ways. I think the dining room is comfortable..it's in what used to be a warehouse I think but it's tastefuly done.
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks....Blue Hour and Southpark sound interesting...
Didn't know about the $25. "deal"...will check it out.
Old May 1st, 2003, 02:05 PM

Jakes, Jakes, Jakes!!!!!!
not the steak house, but the older one.

my daughter went to Reed and we love the restaurants there, but Jakes is the best. Have fun.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:38 PM

Red Star downtown behind Meier & Frank is fantastic! Very creative, fresh food, nice ambience, great staff. I have a meal there at least once every time I get to Portland (once a month or so).
Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:18 PM

Mothers in downtown is wonderful. They have a website.
http://www.mothersbistro.citysearch.com/1.html
Each month, they feature the food of a mother from somewhere around the world. Food is excellent. Ambience is also good.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:46 AM

Again, I must recommend DRAGONFISH, in downtown Portland for a variety of Asian cuisines from Laotian to sushi, the Vietnamese spring rolls were the best.
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:28 AM

Hi - I live in Portland and eat out a lot, so here are my 2 cents:

the 25 for $25 deal is over (was just for April) but Oba! is still offering it. They serve amazing South American food and very innovative menu. Their tuna is not to be believed! They switch their focus to a different South American country, I believe, every few months or so so the menu changes. Had fabulous rockfish there last night coated with ancho chili and light breadcrumbs in a morescue sauce with capers...it was awesome!

Wildwood...do not eat here under any circumstance...way overrated. Have been 3 times and food was not even just okay and service was poor, with an attitude.

Higgins...have had a couple good meals here.

bluehour...great "people watching" scene and their gnocchi with truffle butter sauce appetizer is absolute heaven!

Red Star...they are known for their roasted chicken over a wood fire...food is pretty good but not real atmosphere as it is more of a "hotel" restaurant.

Mothers...also service with an attitude and pretty boring menu (like mac n cheese...meatloaf and mashed potatoes...all things your "mother" used to make)

Dragonfish...have only been to their sushi happy hour on weekends which is a good deal. Have heard good things though.

Here are my top picks...for a BIG splurge do Genoa or Couvron. They offer a 6-course prix fixe menu and the food is the best you will eat in this city. Couvron also offers wine pairings with each course and their sommelier is knowledgable and very approachable. If you want to choose what you eat, try Paley's Place...have been probably 10 times and the food never ceases to amaze me. They do a Kobe beef tartare and their mussels and pommes frites appetizer is enough for an entree. We have also had good meals at Castagna (in the restaurant, not the bistro) but also the previous mentions of Higgins and bluehour are equally good. Enjoy!
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:40 AM

I love Brassire Montmarie. It's near Nordstrom. They have live jazz and a magician on the weekends. It's tons of fun. My husband and I go there when we visit Portland every July. The food is great. Wonderful fresh bread, and lots of seafood. The staff is very friendly also.
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:28 AM

Not "real atmosphere at Red Star"??? I disagree. I love to sit in the window and watch the people go by, or look at the great murals on the walls. Nice, laid-back atmosphere, not like any "hotel restaurant" I've ever been in (and I travel a LOT!).
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:54 PM

Any thoughts from you folks in Portland about Ken's Artisian Bakery. I heard Claudine Pepin and husband are cooking dinners there. Also..someone from Portland(who I am going to visit) just mentioned Varitable Quandry..good outdoor seating. He chose it for us over the Bluehour. BTW..he thought Azul was very overrated.
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:31 PM

Ken's Artisan Bakery is reputedly the best bakery in town, but I'm not sure it's a place I'd want to go for dinner. I was there for the first time late one morning a few weeks ago. The food looks (and I assume tastes) great, but at that time of the day anyway, everything had much more the appearance of a deli than a restaurant.

I've heard the Veritable Quandry has nice dinners, but I'm puzzled that your friend would put it in the same category as Bluehour. It does have nice outdoor seating, but it's very small. Shouldn't admit this, but when I frequented the place years ago, it was much more noted as a drinking hole.
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:08 PM

We were in Portland on vacation last September and had dinner at:

Jake's Crawfish -- good seafood, boisterous atmosphere, skip the crawfish
Cafe Azul -- very good real Mexican - not Tex-Mex
Paley's -- very good regional food in a converted house
Harborside Restaurant -- good seafood, good view, but it is part of McCormick & Shmick
Try the Red Star for breakfast. Great hash!