Traveling to Portland to Househunt

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling to Portland to Househunt

Yes, it is all about the Food
We will be flying out to Portland in about 10 days. We will be there for 10 days.
I have my restaurant list from last trip, but we would love to get a new one for this trip, as well as less serious dining ideas.
10 days of eating out sort of gets tired, I don't want a precious meal every night. Bluehour is not on the list so you understand my thoughts..
Mothers and Higgins go on the new list.
What about fish? Italian? Japanese ( I cannot tell you how much I miss sushi!)
Thanks a lot, Scarlett
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 12:10 PM

There is a cheap, casual sushi spot on Broadway, about a block down from Nordstroms. Excellent cheap bento specials. Very popular at lunchtime, though, and service can be absolutely maddening (the last time we were there, my husband has almost finished eating his dinner before they brought me my appetizer...but that's how it goes there).
Have you been to Murata? THE place for serious sushi.
FYI, are Brasserie Montmartre and Pazzo (in the Vintage Hotel) still going strong? Is Brasserie Montmartre still hosting live jazz nights?
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 12:32 PM
sks

Scarlett -

For Italian have you tried Fratelli? It is in the Pearl but not uptight/expensive like Bluehour. It's my favorite restaurant in Portland. Also Gino's (I believe the sign says Leipzig Tavern) in the Sellwood neighborhood is a nice, relaxed Italian place with great food.

Also Cafe Mingo and Piazza Italia are really good.

Tucci in Lake Oswego, south of Portland a few miles is good for Italian too, especially for lunch.

Pizza at Apizza Scholls on Hawthorn is great!

Milo's on Broadway (on the east side of the river) is great for breakfast.

The Lovely Hula Hands in N. Portland is quirky and had some fabulous sounding fish entrees on the menu and the one time I've been there the food was really good.

For a cheap but yummy lunch Cha Cha Cha is really good - one in the Pearl and one in Sellwood.

If you feel up to venturing across the Columbia River, the Heathman Hotel has a place in Vancouver called Hudsons Lodge and the restaurant there is great! Good for fish, steak, etc.

Of course there is always Milo Gelato near Powells Bookstore which is always a yummy snack! I heard they have foood besides gelato now as well.

Oh! And the new location for Elephants Deli is great! So much good stuff to choose from there and now they have a bar with great drinks. NW 21st where Il Fornaio used to be.

Speaking of Elephants great drinks... they used the super talented woman from the restaurant Mint (N. Portland) to come up with their drinks... Mint and it's bar nextdoor is good, too.

BTilke - I think Pazzo is OK - nice atmosphere, average food.

Well thats enough for now...

Sara

ps - Just thought of Tacquria Nueve (spelling??) and Esparza's incase you're interested in Mexican at all.... they are both *great*!

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Scarlett--I am sure you will get lots of recommendations Mother's is great, as is her other place right around the corner, Mama Mia's Trattoria. It is NE style Italian. Mio Gelato is a favorite of ours as well. We also enjoy Henry's, with the ice trough at the bar and pool upstairs. It is fairly easy to get into for lunch, but for dinner you need to arrive early or wait quite a while. There is another really good breakfast place, between Mother's and the Saturday Market. I can't remember the name of it right now, but it is a straight shot up from Mother's, but on the other side of the street. Shutters on the inside of the windows and sits on a corner. I will be in Portland tomorrow, so if I go by it I will note the name, lol! We have a good Japanese place out here that DH likes, but again I can't remember the name of it. I will ask him tonight, and see if there is another location in downtown.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 12:52 PM

sks, You beat me to the punch! So, I'll just second Fratelli's, Cafe Mingo (the one on NW 21st), and Piazza Italia. My favorite italian is Alba Osteria & Enoteca, in SW Portland, just downhill from Hillsdale.

Given our location near the coast, the dearth of good seafood places is surprising. I think you might have tried Jake's on your last visit. I think Southpark Seafood Grill is worth a try. And, there's always McCormick & Schmick's (the chain started here).

I haven't been to many japanese places for sushi since by friend and I were served a "dynamite" roll: seaweed, rice, and wasabi. These days, we get most of our sushi from Whole Foods. But I've always liked Koji's, on Macadam, south of the city center.

Welcome to Portland, Scarlett
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!!
Got a good list going
We did have dinner one night in Sept at Brasserie Montmarte, noisy and busy but the food was ok.
I read about Lovely Hula Hands in a mag, Bon Appetit? so that is on the list as is Fratellis.
Henrys...of course, we want to live in that building LOL
I really appreciate this..and thank you beachbum, for the welcome, I hope we get to see you in Sept or whenever mms gets the GTG going
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 01:48 PM

Don't mind me, just flagging.

AL
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 01:51 PM

LOL Scarlett!

I talked to dh and found the name of the two places. The breakfast place is Lorn and Dotties. It is not a hole in the wall, but not fancy by any means either. Tall wooden booths, good service, dutch babies are their specialty (which are very good!). Very laid back feel to the place. When you arrive you sign yourself into the wait log. The Japanese place does have a location in Portland, but we have not been to that one so I cannot vouch for that location. However...if you make it down to Bridgeport, then go to the Tualatin location on the lake in the commons. It is called Bush Garden and is a Japanese and Sushi bar. We have eaten outside there, right on the lake and it is very enjoyable when the weather is cooperating.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:50 PM

It's a slow afternoon here, and I've already opened the chardonnay, so I thought I'd offer another suggestion or two.

I know you wrote that Bluehour ain't on the list (and I don't blame you), but don't view the oft-mentioned Park Kitchen in that same light. It's got a great "feel" and is just a few blocks east of where you hope to live. Can't quite say the same of Clarklewis. The two times I've been there, not having body piercings or tattoos, I've felt a little out of my element. Gotta give 'em credit for the food, though.

If you do decide on a "precious" meal, Hurley's might be the best in town. And it's a completely different crowd from Bluehour.

Have a great weekend. You too, mms.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Beachbum--Even though your rec's are for Scarlett, I appreciate them. I like to know what places are truly like before going instead of just hearing the hype. Chardonnay already? Sounds like a good start to the weekend! Now can you work some magic for the weather?
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Al for the flagging

mms, got em, thanks! I doubt we will make it to Bridgeport this trip but you know I will be there eventually!

beachbum, I know what you mean and I have put them on my list. At least I know you actually ate there

BTilke,
Pazzo had the best fresh pasta I have had in a long time. But they were lacking in other ways.
We had a nice dinner at the Heathman bar one night, just on a lot of bites, but dinner in the Heathman dining room was not as much of a treat. The kitchen mangled orders more than they got them right..but we might give them a third chance

Re: body piercings and tattoos, only my ears are pierced, I can always draw something on my arm or neck LOL which would only make me one of the crowd.
I noticed the amazing amount of Body Art in Portland..and how it varies from the same artwork on the bodies in NYC..the colors are brighter in Portland lol..just thought you might like to know

We are staying at the 5th Ave Suites and will not rent a car this time.
Although one of the people from the Red Star who has remained in touch with us since last Sept, has offered to take us for a day of Sellwood and East side touring.
Oh and what about the Gaucho Room? or is it Groucho? LOL
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 04:52 PM

OK, I give. What are Dutch babies?
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi Patrick!!
I think Dutch Babies are like pancakes, but big.

sks, thank you and thank you for the Mexican reco...that would be good too, something else I have not had since NYC ( 1 year and 5 months ago)
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 05:06 PM
jgg

Dutch babies (aka German Pancakes) are large pancakes cooked in a big pan. They are light and fluffy. They are traditionally served with powdered sugar and lemon juice. They are delicious and easy to make.

Want to add Le Bouchon in the Pearl District (517 NW Portland) to your list of restaurants. Excellent French food. Second to Esparza's in SE (2725 SE Ankeny) for great Tex Mex!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you jgg, I added them both to the list. We walked past Bouchon so many times last Sept. This time we will do it!
And right around there (the corner?) is French Laundry? the linens shop
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 05:17 PM

French Quarter Linens There are two stores in downtown...one in the Pearl and one up in the NW 23rd area...and one at Bridgeport. I love soaps and they always have new ones that I have to try.

You can always get a henna tattoo at the Saturday Market. Somehow I just don't see you with any body art though
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

LOl, mms, no body art?
French Quarter, yes, PamSF likes them too
We, thanks to (should I name her?) a friend in Portland, ruled out a house we were interested in so now we are going to concentrate on just apartments and hopefully in the Pearl, second choice, in NW23rd/21st area..
Lawsy, I will have to go to work to afford all the shopping that is waiting for me there
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:41 PM

Hi Scarlett,

Sorry I can't help with restarant recommendations but according to Readers Digest Portland is the cleanest city in the US. Good move!

http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=15115
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 10:37 AM
GoTravel

Oh MizScarlett I'm having a fit to play 18 holes at Bandon Dunes! Please tell me you and the Yankee will sometime at least make the four hour drive to check it out for me?

Did y'all ever make it up to Charleston? Don't leave without visiting!

Old Jun 25th, 2005, 10:49 AM

GoTravel,
Bandon now has three 18-hole courses, each reportedly as good as the other two. I've played Bandon and Pacific Dunes, and will play the third later this year. You should check them out for yourself. Friends who've played in both places say Bandon courses compare favorably with anything they've seen in the British Isles. And, what the heck, it's probably cheaper for you to come here than go that direction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -