Portland ME and environs suggestions

Old Jul 24th, 2021, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland ME and environs suggestions

Traveling mid September for a bit more than two weeks up the coast of Maine (starting in Boston) and then heading back to Boston to fly home to California the first week of October. Already have stops and places to stay along the way north, but am looking for two nights near Portland on the way back. We will have just been in an Airbnb in Bass Harbor near Acadia for four nights, hope to explore Portland and just south of there (which we will be bypassing on our way north) before our return to Boston. We have a rental car (decided against taking the train to Portland after much thought). Is it worthwhile to spend the extra $$ to be in the Portland city center, or would we be better off finding something just south of Portland so we can explore the city one day and the south coast the next?

Looking for suggestions for a nice hotel - either way. We aren't opposed to a "splurge," but only if it seems worth it.

I've been looking at hotels in Portland, but I'm unfamiliar with what might be the best location, and whether it would be worth it to spend the extra money on city hotel parking and rates, with the possibility of many indoor attractions being closed in the event of a surge in covid at the time we will be there.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everything pricey in downtown Portland has a good location for walking around the old port and the commercial harbor , it is not a huge area as long as you like to walk. Some rooms have decent harbor/boat views and others have view of construction or of parking garages. Reviews from people paying the hiked-up 2021 room rates are full of complaints about paying $450 for a garage view. I think for just two nights, which means one full day to explore in between....you'd be fine staying outside of the city if the city restaurants and shops are not your main goal for this visit.

The Inn By the Sea in Cape Elizabeth would be the splurge. Black Point Inn in Scarborough would be another idea on the high-end.

Higgins Beach Inn would be a moderate choice in an old-fashioned summer beachside community that is not a bad drive (under 20 mins) into Portland. The Pine Point area of Scarborough would be a good choice if you'd like to experience a long Atlantic stretch of sandy beach as opposed to the rocky coast/pebble beach scenario up around Bass Harbor and Acadia. Lodging along the beach is more family-oriented however,ie motor hotels. You might find a decent beach rental near Pine Point though ...they usually go by the week but mid-September is low season. Otherwise Lighthouse Suites is nicely located, or the Royal Anchor motel.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

We changed our minds about Portland - decided to drive on to Portsmouth, NH instead for the final two days. Thanks for the response, though.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 09:59 PM

Wow, that was quick.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 01:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
>[/color]

Clarkgriswold, 3 years ago now, egged on by my companion, ex fodorite toucan2, I did a "Higgins tour" of Maine, which included a photo op at the Higgins Beach Inn.

We didn't go in but it looked nice. Thanks for revving this lovely memory.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Wow, that was quick.
I know! It WAS quick. But after looking at what was available in Portland as far as hotels or BnBs, I was feeling stymied. We will have been traveling along coastal Maine for a couple weeks by the time we are heading back, and Portsmouth NH just sounds like a more enjoyable stopover for two days on our way back to fly home from Boston. I appreciate your response to my question, though. .
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 03:32 PM

Just for annhig:

Old Jul 25th, 2021, 11:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks so much, Clarkgriswold. It wasn't quite like that when we were there - I don't remember anyone being in the water for a start.

But it's a beautiful beach.