Restaurant suggestions in St Remy de Provence and environs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have travelled to St, Remy many times. We are interested in restaurant suggestions from folks who have visited in the last few months. Restaurants change and current info is always helpful. 100/125 euros suggestions for two for dinner would be great.

(Last year we lunched at the Oustau de Baumannaire in Les Baux. The lunch was magnificent and the best meal we have ever had. )

Anthony
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 03:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In St Remy-La Maison Jaune, Jardin de Frederic,
IN Noves-La Maison de Bournissac
In Paradou-La Bistro du Paradou and la Petite France
In Arles-L'Atelier.
While in St Remy be sure to taste the famous chocolates of Joel Durand and next door La Petite Duc, fabulous sweets.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM

We have thoroughly enjoyed le Riboto de Taven, in the valley below les-Baux-de-Provence. Wonderful food, and the couple who run the restaurant are absolutely delightful. Tel: 04 90 54 34 23

Cuisine au Planet, in Fontvieille.
A small, charming restaurant with a lovely outdoor terrace. we've eaten there several times and have never been disappointed.
Tel: 04 90 54 63 97
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM

i'll second the Riboto de Taven also
In Fontvielle, I have several times stayed and dined at the
La Rigalido. Lovely rooms, great cooking and a lovely garden
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 03:26 AM

Arles- Le Cilantro chef's tasting menu was excellent
We loved our stay and food at Riboto de Taven.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 04:51 AM
ira

Hi PR,

See the Provence part of my trip report
Ira Returns From 22 Loverly Days in Europe - Sep, 2009
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-europe.cfm

Old Sep 5th, 2010, 03:37 PM

Hi powell,
Well, DH & I ate at Oustau Baumaniere in 1976...and it's still one of our most memorable meals.

More recently (2003) La Maison de Bournisssac was lovely, so I can second cigale's recommendation, which I assume is much more recent than mine.
Bon appetit, EJ
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM

Try the restaurant of the Hôtel Gounod right in town. Not high-end cuisine but delicious and affordable.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM

You will have to try La Maison de Bournissac in Noves.
Chef Christian Peyre is amazing.
Oustanding place
Memorable dinner !
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 11:07 AM

La Maison Jaune in St. Remy was the worst meal I have ever had in my life, bar none! This was June of this year -- please avoid it. Over-priced clip joint for Americans -- literally the only people there were Americans and the staff was not French -- German waiter and Japanese runner/bus-woman.

When we arrived, we received the menu. American guy at the table over starts walking around and comes over to talk to us. We thought he was some kind of weird goof. No, he was a red flag!

Service was incredibly slow as they were trying to attempt five-star service with only two staffers and 8 tables. The dining terrace was so quiet, it was like a morgue. As the meal progressed, we understood it was the silence that surrounds polite unhappiness.

None of us were hungry enough to plow through three or more courses, so we decided to go with ala carte choices rather than the set menues. The amusee bouche was served -- a small piece of melon on a toothpick. Also a breadstick wrapped in proscuitto -- been wrapped so long ago, biting into the breadstick was like biting into a soggy cracker.

We began our actual order with two salads. Both were so over-dressed, they were inedible. Lettuce had the quality of being sauteed. Rolls were so hard, it was difficult to tear them apart. One bite was warning that it could also break our teeth. We discarded them.

My daughter had a fish dish, I went with a chicken dish (as did my husband.) All three dishes were completely lacking in any flavor or seasoning -- even salt and pepper. None on the table and when we flagged down the bus-girl asking for some salt, none was ever produced. Thankfully, my daughter's fish was cooked. Our chicken was practically raw, just that rubbery stage past raw. Chicken skin was completely white and rubbery -- makes me gag to think of it even now.

At this point, we had passed through our courses without the wine we had ordered as the waiter had hidden away the bottle so he could pour it for us. Couldn't flag him down to get it for the life of us. Finally, I got up to look for it and so he brought it over. As he was taking it away, I stopped him and told him to leave it on the table.

In the meantime, the guy who had visited us when we arrived was sitting with his female companion and talking to the waiter. He asked, "why was this meat so tough?" pointing to his plate full of leather meat. His wife responds, "For goodness sake, how does he know? He doesn't cook it, he just serves it." At this point, this guy is paying his bill and gets up to leave and wanders over to us again. I say to him, "this is the worst meal I've ever had!" He throughly agrees, telling us he has been traveling through France for more than a month and had never had a bad meal until Maison Jaune.

The waiter finally passes within eyeshot and I flag him down. I tell him in French (so there is no misunderstanding) "It is not possible to eat this. It's terrible." No look of surprise, no questions about trying to make it right. He simply removes the plate. I now understand why there are no French people working the front of the house here -- they would be mortified to serve this food.

We get the check and leave. It was approximately 250 Euro for my daughter to have eaten about 4 grams of tasteless fish. This was the kind of experience that if you were dining at a friend's home, you would be hard pressed to politely try and eat what was served. That you are then charged for this experience, is beyond the pale. It's the Napa-looking entry that entices Americans in -- we are fooled by the decor and the Michelin one-star. [By the by, I have been trying to find an e-mail address for the Michelin guide people and have failed, so if anyone knows it, please send it my way. I'd love to complain to them personally about that star rating for this place!]
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 01:14 PM

We enjoyed a wonderful meal at Le Cigalon last May. Great service, ambiance, and terrific food.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Well suz. sorry to hear that, my experience was a few years ago and it was very nice. AND-alot of French there. Maybe it changed hands?
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM

suz, I found contact for you

Send an e-mail or letter to the following addresses

e-mail to [email protected]

Editions des Voyages,
46 avenue de Breteuil PARIS 75324 Cedex 07
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 05:07 AM

Thanks Cigalechanta!
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks one and all. We leave Oct. 2 for Nice, St. Remy then Paris.

We dined at La Maison de Bournissac a few years ago and it was a delight. Thanks for the reminder.

Best wishes.

Anthony (Powellretired)
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 07:45 PM

http://www.riboto-de-taven.fr/anglais.htm

A favorite spot of mine..was last there a year ago and Christine, Philippe and I dined and chatted til the wee hours. A family owned/operated spot.

I have also stayed and dined at Oustau BAumaniere..across the road...but prefer Riboto.

If not staying there you may be able to get dining reservations if not filled with their guests.

Joan