Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A Venetian get together - late November / early December.

Old Aug 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is rather long range planning, but worth a throw. A Venetian get together later this year.

I’ll be at a loose end in Venice - I already hear howls of “How could ANYONE” be at a loose end in Venice” - from Saturday 27th November to Thursday 2nd December. I’m travelling with my wife and mother in law, and they are running away to Assisi and Florence for a few days. I’m being marooned in Venice.

Would anyone fancy meeting up for a spritz. Meet by the rubbish bin in the middle of Campo San Barnaba, or at the base of the middle flagpole in front of San Marco (unless it’s aqua alta’d).
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 06:41 PM

We'll just miss each other.....we'll be in Venice til the 22nd November. It would have been fun to plan a get together.
Thanks for asking!
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bailey, you'll be there for the Festival of the Salute. Should be fun.
Cheers

Peter
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Will be there Late September, and would love to be there when you are there, but such is not to be! I hope a few Fodorites will be around to enjoy uno spritz or un ombra with you.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 10:37 PM

Darn, I'll be otherwise engaged, Peter. I'll have to have a spritz with the cats and goldfish! Hope you get some takers.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Yvonne, should we leave you a bottle of Campari or a bottle of Aperol.

Pls advise.

Cheers

Peter
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 04:35 AM

Shame we won't be there at the same time but it wouldn't work as we are staying in "your" apartment !

While I'm here, perhaps you wouldn't mind answering a wee question - how is it equipped for cookbooks ? Anything like a classic Venetian seafood cookbook (in English or Italian) ? We have always stayed in a hotel before so looking forward to shopping at the market (does the flat have shopping bag or a trolley ?), then I'm looking forward to relaxing on the roof terrace while DH cooks weird and wonderful seafood
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 06:06 AM

I'll be there for two weeks in March. Can you postpone it a few months?
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:34 AM

Funny . . . I was just checking flight possibilities yesterday for around that time . . .
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi Caroline, there were no cook books last time we were there – but hey, maybe you could buy a second hand one and donate it. We bought Francesco da Mosto’s cookbook while we were in Venice, and it was good (but pretty heavy to tote around). You might sight a library copy and photocopy it a bit. There is every imaginable Italian guide book there, plus a few novels of the Donna Leone variety set in Venice.
The kitchen works OK, but there is no griller in the oven, and there was no toaster. We are taking a camping toaster with us – a toaster that can be used on the gas – which we will leave there. We also take a pepper grinder, and some decent knives. I’ve yet to find a rental property that has good knives. In Campo Margherita, left hand side as you walk towards Rialto, there is a “two dollar shop” – or the Italian equivalent thereof. They sell stuff like throw away aluminium baking trays, which are handy.
There’s CD player / radio there, and I’m taking an attachment for the iPod that allows us to play music through the FM radio. It weighs a few grams. I’m also taking a set of el-cheapo speakers that accept an iPod, and we’ll donate these to the place when we leave.
There’s a shopping trolley which is handy – no matter which supermarket you go to (Billa on the Zattere, or Punto in Campo Margherita) you have to cross a bridge. The fishmongers in Campo Margherita are good, and the greengrocer by the Pont de Pugni is chronically grumpy. The greengrocer on the way to the Zattere speaks no English, but is a lovely guy. We made lots of purchases there by pointing, and he’d tell us the Italian word for what we wanted.

Have breakfast at the Ai Artisti bar in Campo san Barnaba, and say hello to the lady in the linen shop, left hand side as you walk from Campo san Barnaba towards the apartment. She’s a delight, and will give discounts for cash.

I wrote a trip report while we were there last time – click on my name and you’ll find it. Its bit long, but I had eight weeks to write it.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Caroline, lots of good food info here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...estaurants.cfm

Razor clams are good to cook – the diameter of a pencil, and about three inches long. If you buy them, keep them in the paper that they come in, rather than in water. We kept them in water, as you would do for mussels, and they were not so good. I think they drowned.
There should be decent cookware in the apartment – we collected green stamps from Billa and were able to buy some stuff. There are some pairs of wellies there, handy if you get acqua alta’d.

I’ll top my trip report which has some fairly useless info in it.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM

Aperol, per favore!! ;-) (Although, I should give Campari a try, shouldn't I?)

You gave such a good rundown of 'your' apartment, really useful for the next folks staying there! Good on ya!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Topping just in case ............
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Anyone??
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 04:07 AM

Thanks very much for all those great tips, Peter !

After I'd posted before, I had a google for a classic Venetian cookbook and it seems that Francesco's is it ! So we've ordered one to take with us. We already had 'Francesco's Venice' but hadn't thought about the food book before - I imagine there is some overlap ? Incidentally the man himself gave a lecture here last year and I spent a fortune repeatedly calling the ticket line before and after it opened for booking, via mobile phone from a boat off the Belgian coast - without success : he is very popular here, especially with the ladies !

I did read your trip report some time ago (which is where I leatned about the apartment) but have now printed it off to take with is - I'm really looking forward to rereading it all.

Interesting - we get razor clams here in Scotland but they are more like 3 x 15cm. The baby ones sound exciting ! I wonder if DH will be man enough to tackle eel ? Maybe the fishmonger would kill it for us, although obviously would then despise us. I've eaten it a couple of time at the Ristorante San Trovaso and it's been very good.

We leave for our first week in Venice on the 16th Sept and move into the apartment a week later - I can't wait. I hope you have a lovely time when your hol comes around - I know you will of course - and that you find some congenial Fodorites to meet up with.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

I thought I might refresh this one and see what happens.

Cheers

peter
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thjere must be SOMEONE going to Venice in November! Or maybe this insane thread has scared them off.
Sorry.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...uestions-p.cfm
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?