Polihale Sunset Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying at the Hyatt on Kauai and would like to go to Polihale for a sunset. How long will it take us to drive there? Is there additional time needed to walk to the beach to sit and watch the sunset? Will it be crowded? (September). What about returning after sunset. Will this be difficult in the dark?
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Our rental company told us not to drive there on our last visit, but fortunately we had driven there on a previous visit and it is worth seeing once.

I believe the travel time may be longer if the odd situation of rain occurs because it can get muddy there, and part of it is a bumpy and dusty but flat dirt road drive and I would not recommend driving on the sandy beach, like the bible-K.R. says: "unless you own your own house".
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:08 AM

As I remember, it should take about 45 minutes to get there from the Poipu area. Polihale is never really crowded, because it's a huge, long beach and you have to drive for several miles on a dirt cane-hauling road to get there. Even after dark, though, you shouldn't have any trouble finding your way. The beach is right next to the parking area at the end of the road, but it's miles long and you can turn off earlier to get to it if you want. (We had a 4WD rental which we drove on the beach, but I don't recommend you try that.)
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:42 AM
dcespedes

Once you reach the parking lot the beach is right there so, no, you don't need to walk far--and imo, what a spectacular beach it is--you're on the verge of the Napali Coast with spectacular views of the cliffs. There were 4 of us in a rental car and we bounced around quite a bit on the dirt road leading in but we laughed and enjoyed it--well worth a visit to Polihale. Enjoy!

Old May 6th, 2004, 12:07 PM

Take plenty of mosquito repellant. After dark, those buggahs are like leeches!

Personally, I think the sundown is better viewed from Kekaha. Nice, long, uncrowded beachfront with ample parking (and facilities). Safer, too.
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:23 PM

auntiemaria, Thanks for the info on Kekaha Beach Park. The "blue bible" mentions that Kokole Point is also a good place to hang. Have you been there? What is it like?
Mahalo
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:37 AM

Kokole Point is on the Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF) -- military, so advance permits are required. You need to apply for a permit at the PMRF gate, go into Lihu`e to present your paperwork, and then you get your permit.

Easier to sit on the beach at Kekaha. 8-)
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:21 PM

Thanks auntiem.
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:13 AM

We were there in February. It wasn't too bad of a ride. I too was wondering how it would be driving out in the dark. It was bumpy, but nothing major. We saw one of the greatest sunsets I've ever witnessed. We saw the "green flash" which it when the last piece of the sun turns green for a second just before it drops below the horizon. We actually have it on video. It was a great memory......I wish I was there now : ) Have a great time !!