Poipu Plantation?

Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:42 AM
jwo
Original Poster

Poipu Plantation?

Hi there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Poipu Plantation on Kauai? I am thinking of staying there for my honeymoon but can't really tell if it would be good for a honeymoon. Has anyone stayed there or know anything first hand about it?
Can you suggest another place? I hear so much about the Hyatt (a little pricey for our budget) and the Sheraton (which is sort of in the budget, but I hear not so great things about).
Thanks
Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:18 AM

Here's what I posted on your other topic. I really don't think you'd be happy at the Poipu Plantation.

Message: I don't think that the Poipu Plantation would be a good place for honeymooners. Here's what Ultimate Kauai Guidebook says:

9 units, a/c, spa, bbq. Not really a condo, nor a hotel. More like a plantation. (Oh...I get it!) Formerly a pretty cozy place, but things change. It doesn't seem as well-tended as it used to be. And it's annoying to see signs telling you that towel changes are $3 and to change your sheets is a ridiculous $12. In short, you can do better elsewhere. 1/1 units are $105-$130, 2/2 units are $145-$160. The adjacent "main house" is available for weddings and as a B&B.

You might want to find a condo at the Kiahuna Plantation which is right on the beach. Many units are individually owned and you can get a good rate by going to vrbo, here's a link to one unit: http://www.vrbo.com/2463.

Good luck to you and best wishes!

Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:34 AM

If you can afford an oceanfront room at the Sheraton that would be much better than Poipu Plantation, in my opinion. The surf crashes nearby, if you are on the gorund floor you can just stroll out onto the lawn. The garden rooms (across the street from the main building) at the Sheraton are kinda ho-hum.

Have you checked into the Marriott? It's not in Poipu but it's a great spot on a good swimming beach (actually a bay.) Giant pool, good restaurant, overall has a nice tropical ambiance.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:35 PM

What is the place closer to Spouting Horn with it's own beach area?
Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:02 PM

The only resort/place on the road to Spouting Horn that I can think of with it's own beach is Lawai Beach Resort, across the street from Beach House Restaurant. There is a small snorkling beach there, neat to the restaurant. Is this the place you are referring to?