Search

4th of July in SF

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th of July in SF

Hi everyone....for the first time in many years, I will be spending the 4th of July weekend in SF....niece gets married on July 5th in Sausalito. What does the city have to offer, in terms of fireworks or parades, on the 4th? Thank you!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:36 PM

http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/event...vals.shtml#JUN

scroll down to July

http://www.sfvisitor.org/calendar/listings.asp
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:23 PM

Amazing how someone asks about SF, gets San Jose as an answer. Different screen names seem to do it, too!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:33 PM

Good places to watch the fireworks: Marina Green, Chrissy Fields, Aquatic Park, Fort Mason. Unless you are staying in the Wharf, take public transit. Parking will be BAD and after the show the traffic will be worse!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:48 PM

Yes, any question pertaining to any city in the Bay Area or Northern California for that matter usually elicits a redirect to San Jose from our resident SJCVB employee. It's par for the course.

Not sure what the city has to offer, but have spent a couple of very fun 4ths at Santa Cruz Beach & Boardwalk. The city put on fireworks over the ocean, and all kinds of boats launched their own as well. Very pretty over the water.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:53 PM

I think Santa Cruz is a great place to watch the fireworks. We usually go to Seacliff Beach in Aptos to watch. There is usually a good show on the Boardwalk beach, but it gets very crowded there and you can see it from pretty much any beach in the area. Also, there are always lots of people setting off their own fireworks. Technically it is illegal anywhere in the county besides Watsonville, but people do it anyway. There's no risk in watching though.

The firework display and festival in San Jose is fun too, but we usually head for the beach since the weather is a lot cooler there.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:29 PM

That's funny, we were in San Francisco last year on the 4th of July, no fog, great fireworks. So I guess TravelCal the last time would have been last year.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:26 PM

Why would I or anyone else read Bay Area papers when I never lived there while I WAS in California and now live in a different state altogether?

Face it, real travelers are offering personal experiences here. Promoters have vested interests in steering people and therefore generally do not offer personal experiences, just claims as to what people SHOULD do or what is "best." Then they tend to get upset when others point that out.