Plimouth Plantation vs Jamestown Settlement

Sep 25th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Plimouth Plantation vs Jamestown Settlement

If you have been to both Plimouth Plantation in Plymouth Mass and Jamestown Settlement in Williamsburg VA, which place did you enjoy more? I have 3 middle school boys and I am trying to decide which one to include in future trips. Thanks for any advice.
Sep 26th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Sep 26th, 2009, 04:11 AM

Haven't been to Plimouth Plantation for years, but the Jamestown Settlement is more authentic, with archeology going on, run by the National Park service. Both are in areas with other things to offer for kids, Plimouth near Cape Cod, Jamestown not far from Virginia Beach or the Bay Bridge up to the Delmarva.
Sep 26th, 2009, 04:23 AM

Haven't been to Jamestown but I have been to Plimouth as well as Williamsburg (VA), Sturbridge (MA) Shelburn (VT) and a few others and Plimouth is the most "authentic". The actors are all in period costume right down to not being allowed jewelery or watches, etc. and they won't come out of character to answer questions (only answer questions with info they would have had at the time). So it's pretty good educational experience. Since it's time frame is so early there isn't that much in the way of architecture, etc. though. But it's close to Sturbridge (less than 2 hours) so you can do both and they are nice complements for each other.
Sep 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM

3 middle school boys??? Jamestown is 15 min away from Busch Gardens. Questioned answered.
Sep 29th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Jamestown Settlement is really fun and educational, for both kids and adults. And I concur with birdie - Busch Gardens is a HIT. In addition to JT Settlement (which is a museum and recreation of a Powhatan Indian Village, James Forte, a riverfront area and replicas of the three ships that came to JT in 1607, you can pop on over to the original Jamestown Island which is a great place for kids to romp. This is actually the place run by the National Park service and a local Virginia preservation group. It has a gorgeous museum housing artifacts that were dug up right there - including human bones, which my boys love! Come see us here in the Historic Triangle