Please suggest for a trip to the US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to the US with my friends some time next month. We are planning to hit NYC, California and a couple of other places. I wanted to ask a few things.

Since it will be a decently long trip, I would like suggestions on the things that we should carry (we are coming from India) and a few things which you think would be necessary. Also, I wanted some details about the weather. We are thinking of covering California, NY, NJ till now. It is really hot in India right now. Will it be cold in these places around a month from now?

One more thing, we would also need a calling card of some sort to make regular calls to India. A friend recently tried a new card called PCO4NRI and he said it was the clearest he has had a call back to India yet. So he suggested that we take that card. Any feedback on this card? Or would you suggest any other calling cards?

The plan is still not final but I thought I might as well ask what I wanted to. Thanks in advance

If you can think of anything else please advise!
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 03:12 AM

What to pack:

We always take a light picnic set - plastic plates, plastic cups, cutlery, corkscrew etc. We would often buy some supplies in a grocery store and make ourselves a picnic at a picnic table in a park or on our hotel room. It saves a lot of $$$ and a lot of time and it is fun.

Sturdy shoes. You will walk a lot, especially in New York City. In California, you should visit National Parks and other attractions. Hiking boots are often advisable, since you will encounter narrow, stony trails.

Shorts. In some places, it might be pretty warm. For American tourists, shorts are okay almost everywhere, especial outdoors.

Hat, sunglasses and sunblock. Especially in California, the sun will be burning. Okay, you are from India...

Raingear. It might rain in some places, especially in San Francisco and NYC there are chances that it might rain.

I have recently posted two trip reports, one on New York and one on California. If you wish to read them:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...nnsylvania.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ne-country.cfm
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 04:00 AM

In May you will find mostly warmish weather (days with highs in the 70's, although it could be in the 80's and may drop down to the 50's at night - esp if you are out on the water - boat rides are recommended in NYC).

You will definitely see some rain.

The most important things to bring are well-broken in sturdy walking shoes (a lot of walking in NYC) and a sturdy folding umbrella.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 03:53 PM

If you plan to go near the ocean in California, dress in layers because there will be a wide range of temperatures due to many weather factors that change often near the sea.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 04:06 PM

As to some basics to bring - I always bring a small knife (in checked bag naturally) to cut or peel fruit. Also a very small flashlight (you never know when it will be handy) and a very basic medical kit. You can get anything you need her - but who want to go looking for a bandaid at 11 pm. I bring bandaids, antiseptic ointment, tweezers, an over the counter medicine for diarrhea, something for motion sickness - if anyone gets it - some aspririn or ADvil etc.