Is rain gear readily available if needed?

May 16th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Is rain gear readily available if needed?

My husband has been checking the extended forecast for May 25 - June 2nd and of course, with any extended forecast, there are chances of rain (one day 60% thunderstorms). I am trying to keep packing very light since it costs $25 per checked bag and therefore, I am not planning on bringing rain gear for seven (raincoats, large umbrellas, rain-type shoes like the ones Sperry makes. I will bring small travel umbrellas). If we need it while there due to heavy rain, is readily available without paying a small fortune? We are staying at the Affinia Dumont and it seems there are places around there to buy it.
Also, what is the most reliable weather site that New Yorkers use?
Also, do things go on as usual (ex. We have the Foods of NY walking tours one day) in rainy weather or in downpours?
Thanks.
May 16th, 2011, 11:28 AM

For weather I use the weather channel. I have never really compared the percentage of correct forecasts.

When it rains, vendors appear from the cracks in the street to sell cheap umbrelllas.

I have no idea the preferred retailers for weather gear except for hiking quality. For that Tents and Trails and Paragon.
May 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Not the cheapest but when you get your MetroCards at Grand Central, consider the following: They will not only keep you dry; they will help you find your way AND be great souvenirs!

http://www.transitmuseumstore.com/dr...bway-umbrellas

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc/books
May 16th, 2011, 12:23 PM

"I am not planning on bringing rain gear for seven (raincoats, large umbrellas, rain-type shoes like the ones Sperry makes. I will bring small travel umbrellas)."

I have lived in NYC for more than 30 years and all I use are small travel umbrellas—no raincoat, large umbrella, rain shoes. On rainy days, I wear shoes that have thicker rubber soles and are less likely to wick water. When there is a downpour, I step inside someplace or join the rest of NYC under a nearby awning. True downpours are usually over in 10-15 minutes.
May 16th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Small travel umbrellas are what most people here carry. The cheap flimsy versions of those are what street vendors and some local stores pull out at the first rain drops.

Boots that cover shoes are not very commonly found, though large drug store chains like Duane Reade (all over the city) might carry them (generally only adult sizes, not for kids)
Regular rain boots that are by size? You'd need to go to a shoe store.

You should have for each person some sort of overcoat or jacket and shoes (sneakers?) that can survive getting wet. You can buy cheap plastic ponchos, I suppose, but I'm not sure where. Probably at those same drugstores, maybe some newsstands, etc.

I use weather.com or more local forecasts from the TV news stations/shows
http://www.ny1.com/content/weather
May 16th, 2011, 01:22 PM

I wouldn't worry about overshoes in late May and June.

Also, if there is a downpour, you can be sure entrepreneurs will appear out of the woodwork to sell umbrellas and cheap rain gear. Walk over to 34th Street and 5th Avenue and see what you find.

A waterproof shell/windbreaker would be a good idea for everybody, but I doubt you will have any use for an overcoat in NYC in late May-early June.

HTTY
May 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM

I don;t understand "rain gear". IN the warm eather that mean an umbrella. You would swelter to death in either a raincoat or boots (the latter are good only for cold weather). If it rains you put up your umbella and keep going. People do no emlt in rain and if you have sensible shows your feet will be fine. (If you hae flip flops or verylightweight sandals your feet and legs most of the way to the knee will be wet and filthy. One does not wear sandals in the rain.

If you get a violent thunderstorm and a downpour it will only last about 30 minutes - so go inside a store or building and wait. If it's lighter rain ignore it - everyone else will -includng the walking tour guides.
May 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links and tips. SueNYC, that is really interesting. It does seem like a great way to have a map handy!
May 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM

I wear cheapo flip flops in the rain if it's warm enough. I keep them in my large purse. When it starts to rain I put my good shoes in my bag so they don't get wet and stay wet and switch them out with my flipflops. I stop in at some bar or restaurant or hotel lobby restroom after the storm to wash off and dry off and put my nice, warm and dry walking shoes back on. Doesn't everyone do this??
May 17th, 2011, 09:56 PM

No -

I don't go into pubic buidlings to wash my feet. If it's going to rain I just wear real shoes.
May 17th, 2011, 11:48 PM

Worldgallery: getting nervous for the trip?

- plan your days out according to the weather forecast
- rainy days are good for shopping and museums
- bring good walking shoes. They will get you through anything.
- bring a small umbrella or a light rain coat.
- make sure you have a good map of Manhatten and of the subway to help you plan.

New York is great rain or shine.
May 18th, 2011, 03:29 AM

You can go into a public bathroom to Wipe off your feet with a paper towel! It's one of the least intimate things you'd probably do in a public bathroom anyway.

I'm sick of walking around all day with damp feet when it rains and I'm tired of ruining all my good walking shoes.
May 18th, 2011, 05:07 AM

None of the places you mentioned are public bathrooms. They are bathrooms in establishments open to the public and intended for use by its patrons.
May 18th, 2011, 02:19 PM

ok...Buy a drink at the bar then or lunch at the hotel. Whatever.
May 18th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Bowsprit, I do like that idea. Maybe in a total washout, we will do this.
Schuler - Yes, we are getting a bit nervous but very excited. I do plan to keep checking the weather and adjusting things if need be but I can't rearrange too much now because we have already bought tickets for many of the things we will do that have set dates (Greenwich Food Tour, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Broadway shows, the ballet, Mets game). I have things planned around these things based on the area we are in. There is a little bit of wiggle room but not much. I watch the Today show everyday and see all of the people with their umbrellas so that is what we will do if that rain doesn't stop!
May 18th, 2011, 08:10 PM

"I stop in at some bar or restaurant or hotel lobby restroom after the storm to wash off and dry off and put my nice, warm and dry walking shoes back on. Doesn't everyone do this??"

Uh - no. I have never (ever) needed to wash my feet in a public restroom. But then I don't wear flip flops either.

WordGallery: Doesn't it ever rain where you live? I travel all over --lots of trips to England, the rest of Europe, all over the USA -- and I've have yet to see anyone melt in the rain. I think you may just be over thinking things too much. I might not even take folding umbrellas. If it does rain you can buy cute ones everywhere -- and they'd be fun souvenirs of your trip.
May 19th, 2011, 03:00 AM

Good for you, janisj. You're just better. Or not.

However, if it's raining, and it's warm, I suggest throwing on a pair of flip flops (you never, ever, ever, ever wear those? yeah. ok), put your dry shoes in your bag and dry your feet off at the earliest convenience. Nobody will care. If you dry your feet off in the ladies at GCT you'll be able to use the hot air dryer. You'll have to wait your turn though, as there will be others in front of you doing the same thing.

Or don't.
May 19th, 2011, 03:06 AM

WorldGallery: Have a great time. If you forget your umbrella stop in at any Duane Reade or buy one on the street for $5.00. They're serviceable and will get you through the day. You'll also be able to get your flipflops there too.

We get caught in gully-washers nearly every other visit and I've learned to wear fast drying pants (no jeans) or skirts so that I'm not dragging around a sodden mass all day.

(And I'm sure you were reassured by other's assertions that you wouldn't melt from the rain, weren't you? .
May 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM

Bowsprit: I wear sandals all the time -- But but believe it or not, I only own one pair of flipflops/thongs and haven't worn then in more than a year.

But my point wasn't about the flip flops-- it was about washing your feet in public loos (eeew). Never have, probably never will, and from reading other posts it looks like others haven't either.
May 19th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

WordGallery: Doesn't it ever rain where you live? I travel all over --lots of trips to England, the rest of Europe, all over the USA -- and I've have yet to see anyone melt in the rain.

Yes, of course it does rain but at home I have the luxury of rescheduling outings with my kids if the rain will hinder us, which I do for the most part. With only having 8 days in NYC, I don't have this luxury. We have a lot we want to see and do and much of which is outside. I really don't mind getting a little wet. It is the blisters (from wet shoes rubbing on my kids' feet) and the miserable feeling of being "damp and sticky" all day (since we can't just stop back at the hotel to change). At home, we use cars for everything and just pull up to where we are going. We don't walk long distances in the rain so I am not use to it.

Regardless, we are going to have a great time thanks to the many suggestions and ideas here! I have printed tons of posts and planned our trip based on the great info here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO