Dress for New York City

Search

Dress for New York City

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dress for New York City

I have read several posts about how to dress in NYC.
I am 40, a little overweight, great hair, no wrinkles, from Indy.
I dress casual for work-black, dark brown, and tan capris when it is warm with nice, but casual tops. I wear sandals everyday.
We will be in NYC next week.
Will this type of dress work for dinner time? We have no restaurants in mind, but will want nice, casual, but not a diner or fast food type places. No upscale places requiring ties, dresses, but like great food. Cost is not as much a deterent as much as stuffiness.
What do I wear? Any restaurant suggestions?
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:58 PM

You'll be just fine. It may be too chilly for sandals, and you should bring shoes anyway in case of rain. Dark bottoms are more practical than tan (which gets dirty quickly when out and about all day).

Opentable and Menupages are terrific resources for NYC dining.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:58 PM

I don't live in NYC, but have been there and always seemed to see a little bit of everything, even at the theatre. If you aren't going places that require jacket/tie, then I can't imagine that sandals and capris wouldn't pass. I bet there are plenty of people who live there who can speak better than I can...hopefully they will reply to your post. NYC is so great, I am jealous! Haven't been in soooo long.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 08:10 PM

There is no one style, wear whatever you like. But be sure to wear comfy shoes. It's been often short-sleeves warm during the day but still a bit chilly enough to need a jacket/sweater by 5 o'clock. So dress in layers if you plan to be out all day. I always keep a big scarf/pashmina in my bag for when I need an extra layer knowing that it will go with anything I'm wearing, jeans or dress.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:42 AM

Your clothes sound fine as long as you stick with more causale places. But - sandals alone will not work. First- you can still get chilly weather - at least at night. It's possible to get some rain - and you will be walking a LOT., So be sure you have some comfy closed walking shoes.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM

Wait until you're 50 - you'll become invisible, and it won't matter what you wear!!! Seriously, it sounds fine to me. For restaurant suggestions, try Union Square Cafe. Upscale casual, GREAT service and the food choices are varied and delicious. Everyones idea of a great restaurant is very subjective, but ZAGAT regularly awards USC the #1 restaurant in NYC. Take a sweater for a/c or if it's cool out and carry an umbrella if you can.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
GoTravel

I wear black microfiber pants, boots, and a cotton turtleneck this time of year.

I'll also throw a black jacket on and if I need to dress this up, I'll keep a scarf in my bag.

Old May 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM

May 1 - but I'm still wearing my boots. Supposed to be cooler & rainy this week (though so far it's been pretty nice). Really though, almost anything goes here. As far as restaurants, unless it's very fancy, almost anything (other than blue jeans & a tshirt at SOME places) goes as well.
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM

Lol, zwho!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
cko

bring on your trendiest gear but not too trashy. if you're coming this weekend, it's supposed to be nice over this weekend but hot. i'd recommend carrying a pashmina shawl or cardigan for the evenings. maybe even a light jacket depending on how much time you'll be spending outside.
as for restaurant? lol, even i don't know where i want to dine this weekend with so many choices...
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM

A good pair of jeans, boots/sandals and a nice black sweater will take you almost anywhere in NYC without screaming "tourist."