Clothing for New York

Search

Clothing for New York

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothing for New York

I've been reading the Europe forum for a few months and I've seen there are always lots of questions from Americans about what to wear to fit in in Europe. Well, I have the opposite question. I'm from Ireland and am going to New York for the summer - 2-3 months. I would appreciate some tips on what clothes to take, both for fashion and comfort purposes, as space in my suitcase is limited and I won't have much money for new clothes. I just don't want to stick out as a tourist for safety reasons, or cause any offence.

I will likely be working in a hotel dealing with guests, so what sort of outfit is appropriate for that? A white blouse, black pants and black smart shoes?
And what about casual outfits? I was thinking of these ideas:

2 pairs blue jeans
1 pair black linen capris
1 pair denim capris
1 denim minskirt (not overly short)
1 knee length skirt
1 dress
Selection of sleeveless tops/vest tops/T shirts
1 black sweater
1 grey hoodie
1 black cardigan
2-3 pairs sandals/flip flops

Are these clothes appropriate for the weather and city? What sort of heat should I be expecting? Are shorts appropriate? Sorry to sound naive, but I've only been to NYC in winter when everyone is in the big bulky jackets and scarves!
Also, if I go out to a niceish restaurant/bar, would would be an appropriate thing to wear?
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

sorry WHAT would be an appropriate thing to wear?
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:56 AM
GoTravel

IrishGrl, I would ditch one pair of the jeans and one pair of the denim capris for three pair of black pants.

They will not show as much dirt, they will not have to be washed as much, they can be dressy or casual, and they match everything.

One pair flip flops, one pair sandals, and one pair trainers that can be worn with black pants, skirts, or capris.

Old May 16th, 2007, 08:57 AM
GoTravel

Meant to add, NYC can be a dressy city and your clothes sound just a tad too much on the casual side.

Hopefully Lizzie will see this post and respond.

Old May 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying. I was a bit worried about black pants being too hot for walking around the city which is why I was hesistant to pack some. I wouldn't wear them in summer in Rome or Madrid but maybe NYC isn't as hot? I have a linen pair I could bring, and the pair I will likely be wearing to work.

Would the shortish skirt be OK, as in appropriate for daily wear and perhaps in the evening? Would a floaty long type of skirt be practical? They're comfortable and take up little space.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:06 AM

I disagree wiht the generalization that NYC is a dressy city. Locals wear shorts, jeans, sneakers and the like on weekends, for shopping, movies, casual lunches, etc. I think Irish Girl knows better than to wear jeans to the opera, but for every day, I think they're fine.

Except: when it's really hot and muggy, which it will be! For me, jeans would be too heavy, so I'd suggest longer shorts, another pair of capris or a skirt instead.

I think your work outift sounds fine. You're smart to keep things in a nuetral color scheme, so everything goes with everything. I think you'll fit right in.

Enjoy your stay!
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Also, are there plenty of laundry services available? How much would it be to leave my clothes in to be washed/ironed and pick them up another day? How much do the self service laundrys usually cost?
I'm really trying to pack light but don't want to spend lots of money on laundry or spend too much time doing it! (I usually handwash my tops in the sink/bath but can't really do it with pants)
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Yes, black pants would be absurd for walking around the city in July. For work, fine, but for touristing about, no way, it will be much too hot. Your original ideas were right. I like the idea of the floaty skirt, as you could dress it up or down.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Sorry to sound so rude, but really, if one more person recommends black pants for New York, I will plotz.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:33 AM
GoTravel

NewbE, I've spent many weeks in July working in Midtown and have always worn black pants.

Go ahead, plotz.

Irish said she would be working in a hotel.

Old May 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM

"A white blouse, black pants and black smart shoes? " is what the OP proposed for WORK. I agreed.

She then asked for ideas for casual clothes, and listed the denim capris and jeans you told her to ditch for More Black Pants.

If you meant them to be for work, you should have said so. Hanging out in the city in the summer during off hours in black pants makes no sense.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
granniem

I agree Newbe

Old May 16th, 2007, 10:08 AM

IrishGrl, Didn't the hotel you'll be working at give you specific guidelines for what to wear? Black pants/white shirt is fairly typical, but you never know. Are you sure there's no uniform?
Make sure you do have comfortable closed shoes (for rain) and that your sandals are suitable for a lot of walking and standing. Flip flops don't do it for me...
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:40 AM

You need to realize a couple of things:

New York in the summer is nothing like Ireland - it's WAY hotter (think Spain for a better idea). I find jeans just too hot in the summer.

Sandals and flip flops are fine as long as you have some real shoes too - since you will run into rain (and in the summer we sometimes have thunderous downpours - not a gentle mist like Ireland). So - with flip flops you'll have wet, filthy feet.

Shorts depend on what you're doing and your age. Students wear shorts all the time. For adults - shorts are not really appropo for theater or restaurants beyond neighborhood casual.

Also- don;t know if you plan on any nightlife. For bars and casual clubs your things will work. For trendy clubs (if that's your goal) you need really trendy (not dressy - but trendy) clothes that look expensive/designer - even if they're not.

If you're working in a hotel they usually have required dress for staff - I would contact them to see what it is. (If not an official uniform they often require white shirts and black trousers or skirts with a blazer or equivalent jacket.)

And since dry cleaning is so expensive in NYC - don;t bring anything you can;t throw in the washer.
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:22 AM

It gets very hot in the summer in New York, and the heat can feel magnified in the midst of all the buildings, sidewalks, etc. But when I am in New York in the summer I see all sorts of people dressed in clothes--especially jeans--that I would consider too hot. I think a filmy skirt would be excellent in the heat, as would a sundress or two, but people, especially young people, do seem to keep wearing jeans.

I think everyone in New York must use drop-off laundry services, as many buildings do not seem to have laundry facilities. My 24-year-old daughter in Brooklyn spends about $15-$20 a week on laundry, I think the rates are about 70 to 90 cents a pound.
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Yes - older brownstone buildings don;t have laudry facilities (1890s to 1910 pipes often won;t take the water pressure). But many larger buildings (even like mine from the 1920's have a large communal laudry rooms with a unch of washers and driers).

But we still do many thing at the cleaners (they do washing by the pound too) - we drop off in the am and they deliver back within a day or two depending on your needs.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:54 PM

i just moved to the upper east side [from another state], and it seems that everyone takes their clothes to a wash and fold place to have them done. there is a min # of pounds...usually 6 to 8 pounds. the place i go to charges me $6.50. they smell REAL nice. comes folded...no ironing.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:31 PM

A nice knee length - or whatever length you like - cotton skirt - plain - or simple pattern - will go almost anywhere. I think NY can be dreadfully hot. But a skirt is very versatile and easy to maintain.
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Hi IrishGrl, I think your choices are great!
Thosw who work in hotels tend not to dress casually- so "business casual" is appropriate. it also depends on the type of hotel you will be staying and your position at the hotel. Slacks or a skirt with a top would be fine. No casual shoes in the work enviornment ( no sneakers, flip-flops) You migth actually just call the reception desk and ask someone who works there what kind of dress is appropriate.
For non -work casual activities, casual dress is very appropriate. New York can be very hot and humid in the summer time. Weathet tends to be in the upper 80s fahrenheit. We can have heat waves of tempratures in the upper 90s as well.

For elegant evening events, such as the ballet, "evening wear" is appropriate.

I think you will love NY in the summer! There is always a lot going on! Please elt me know if you have any questions!

Old May 17th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Welcome to America Irishgirl! As you can see from the various posts, we are not all alike! Your choices look great and I would even suggest that you not over pack-you'll have lots of shops here and why not pick up a thing or two! Shopping is by the way part of NYC experience after all!

PS: gauzy cotton skirts are nice for the city heat and capris are always easy to dress up or down with heel choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -