Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please pick the top 3 romantic restauraunts in san diego within short driving distance (15 minutes) of Coronado Island.

Search

Please pick the top 3 romantic restauraunts in san diego within short driving distance (15 minutes) of Coronado Island.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Mr.R

Want to be able to take a reasonable taxi ride from the Coronado Island Marriot to a very romantic restaurant (good food would help too!) Please give me the top 3 restauraunts in the area in your opinion. Thanks!

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:53 PM
sightseer

Chez Loma French Bistro on Loma Avenue comes to my mind.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 02:43 PM
carol

We're going there for our honeymoon in Oct. Someone told me about a great restaurant that you can take the ferry across the bay to get to. (the ferry is right by the Marriott) I'll try to find out the name, but it is right there once you get off the ferry and it's a seafood restaurant. I think it starts with a P, I'll check around, but maybe someone on this board knows.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 02:49 PM
carol

The restaurant I was referring to above is called Peohes. Also, I was given casa de bandini's in old town as another good restaurant to try. I've never been, but these are from other people that have been there and receommended them to us.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 02:51 PM
sd

Laurel (usually live piano or guiter music-not loud though), Bertrands at Mr A's (view of SD), Anthony's Star of the Sea Room (view of Harbor). All very close. DOn't go to Peohes although the food and the downtown skyline view are good the atmosphere and decor is too cheesy. It's never been remodeled and opened up 10-15 years ago. I've seen Chez Loma it looks nice and romantic but have never dined there.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 03:01 PM
michele

My sister is a big fan of Laurel, also.
I'm pretty sure they have a website.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 04:18 PM
mark

Peohe's is close to the Marriott, but go there for the view and a drink -- not dinner.
I've heard Chez Loma is romantic and has good food.
The Azzura Point in the Loews Coronado has a harbor view, good food, but high prices. I don't know how romantic it is.
Zagat voters rate the Prince of Wales in the Hotel Del Coronado as romantic so you might want to check it out.
Or take the ferry across the bay for a romantic ride and then walk to the nearby Anthony's Star of the Sea,which has a bay view (from the San Diego side). The Top of the Market is close to where you get off the ferry too, has good food and a bay view, but probably doesn't qualify as romantic.
A cab to Laurel from Coronado would be steep.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Rosie

My husband and I dined at George's at the Cove in La Jolla. Not too far from Coronado. White tablecloths, good wine selection, great food, great view of the bay. Reserve early and request a table directly under the window viewing the bay.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:00 PM
sd

A cab to Laurel from Marriot Coronado would not be steep as it is just a little more than going to Downtown (it about 2 miles from the Gaslamp area).

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Dick

I would vote for Star of the Sea. Laurel, while good food (and great wine list) is not very romantic, we didn't think.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Monique

Another vote for Mr. A's. Great service, good food, gorgeaous views and romantic! Hmmmm I think I have just talked my self into going again.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:39 AM
bob

Point Loma Seafood.....oh yes get it to go and sit outside at picnic table and snarf it up...nothing more romantic in my books

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Mr.R

Thanks for the good advice. Right now I have reservations for both Azzura Point and Chez Loma for the same night. Was high on Azzura Point at first but now I'm starting to lean towards Chez Loma. I lose the view at Chez (as opposed to Azzura Point), but the food sounds more appealing, a little less pricey, and it sounds a little more intamate. Not to mention is closer to the Coronado Marriot. Does that about sum it up?

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:40 AM
x

a taxi to george's in la jolla would be very expensive. the ferry ride to and from coronado would add to the romance of the evening. not sure what time they stop running though.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Mr.R

I believe the night before we will take the water taxi to the Gas Lamp so I will probably be looking elsewhere for the romantic night out.