Please help with Boulder,Co. hotels.

Oct 25th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Please help with Boulder,Co. hotels.

We'll be staying in Boulder for 4 nights next fall. We love the Bouldrado but could be just as happy with something less expensive, if it was nice. The Best Western looks pretty good for the money. Does anyone have recent experience there? Other ideas? We're not lookng for a rustic experience this trip--just creature comforts after long days of hiking. Are there any chain/modern hotels within walking distance to downtown or the University? Thanks so much for any help you can give me.
Oct 26th, 2003, 01:36 AM

Yes, there is one chain just off the beautiful trail connecting the university to downtown - ez walking. I forget the name, and it's more expensive than you'd expect for it's chain. Also a few more chains on the far side of university within a longer walk from downtown.
Oct 26th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Do you remember the street by any chance?
Oct 27th, 2003, 10:37 AM

There are a few chain hotels that run along 28th street - about a one mile walk from Pearl Street Mall. Not really any chains downtown but there are a few B & B's. As far as the chains I would recommend the Millenium Harvest House. This is probably the one that Viking was referring to. It is right on the Boulder Creek path quite close to the University. I'm not sure which hotel is a Best Western but if it is the old Golden Buff motel on 28th I would say it is just OK. Definitely seen better days. There is also a new Marriott approximately 3/4 of mile from downtown and just north of the Millenium.
Oct 27th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, BoulderCO. The Best Western is at 770 28th. I think I may have read that it has been remodeled. That's pretty far from downtown though. Have you stayed at the Millenium? I remember a Harvest House Hotel from my long ago student days--is it the same one? Remodeled, I hope? The Marriott looked nice on the website, but kind of expensive. I could try to find a discount maybe. Any more ideas?
Oct 28th, 2003, 07:27 AM

770 28th Street sounds like the old Golden Buff. It has been around for a long time - it's your basic 60's motel. It is a bit of a walk to downtown from there. The Millenium is the old Harvest House. It has been remodeled and looks pretty good. It is also on 28th but is closer to the university and located on the creek path which is kind of nice. The only other real options to get closer to downtown other than the Boulderado would be B & B's. Possibilities are Coburn Hotel (16th & Pine), Pearl Street Inn (18th & Pearl), Inn on Mapleton Hill (10th & Spruce), Briar Rose (22nd & Arapahoe). All of them are closer to downtown - especially the first three. I don't know much about them but they may be worth checking out.
Oct 28th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

It's great to have your first hand knowledge, BoulderCO--thanks. How about the Marriott? Do you know anything about it? Where is it from the Mall?
Oct 28th, 2003, 10:10 PM

There is a chain CLOSE to the ped mall and backed up against the creek trail - I stayed there recently. Can't remember the name but you can do the usual laborous work of pasting street address of every likely candidate onto web map page. Also as you enter town there are city-published brochures with hotel maps that show the one I'm talking about as the only near in midprice chain candidate. There is only one main road that closely parallels the creek path, and it is on it on the creek side.
Oct 29th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Viking

You may be thinking about the motel at 20th and Arapahoe. It is now a Quality Inn. It is about six blocks from the downtown mall. I had forgotten about that one. It is fairly old and has changed ownership a number of times so I don't know how nice it is. Ciel, I don't know much about the Marriott but I understand it is a very nice business type hotel. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance but the Pearl Street Mall is about 12 to 13 blocks away - a 20 or 25 minute walk.
Oct 29th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, BoulderCO & viking--you've been so helpful! I'll check out the Quality Inn. B & B's are a little stifling for us. Wish we could afford the Boulderado...Again, many thanks!
Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:50 AM

I stayed at the Best Western Boulder Inn. It wasn't impressive on the outside, but the rooms had been remodeled and were very nice.