Florida 2 Week Itinerary Help!

Nov 18th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Florida 2 Week Itinerary Help!

OK,

I have been asking about fishing in the Keys and now I need to make up my mind of how long the hubby and I are going to stay where. We will be in Florida from 5/8-22/04 and I had thought about 2 days in South Beach, 8 in Key West, and 4 in either Key Largo or Islamorada. We will be doing some fishing and snorkeling. Other than that just thought about planning what to do when we get there: hang out on the beach or by a pool, do a little shopping, and have some drinks at night.

Are we missing out on things? Is 8 days too much in Key West? Is there somewhere else we should try and see?

We are in our mid 30's and like to have fun. I am open to any and all suggestions, thanks!
Nov 18th, 2003, 06:46 PM
GoTravel

klukas, since that time period is sort of off season for South Florida (between the peak winter season and family season of June through August), how about only making a few reservations and not locking yourself into anything? I would start with a couple of nights in South Beach and start heading south.

I know that is very unsettling to a lot of people but you don't really know where you want to stay. This way you can stay where ever you feel like on that particular day.

The downside to this of course is no real deals. No priceline or internet specials unless you are bringing a laptop.

I would check ahead of time with the Miami Beach Convention and Visitors Bureau, the Islamorada Convention and Visitors Bureau, and the Key West Convention and Visitors Bureau to make sure there are no big city wide conventions going on. This way you know you are minimizing your chances of running into some bizzare convention.

We like to have the cooler, beach chairs, and all that crap in the car with us so if we see a nice stretch of beach en route, we stop and spend some time on the beach.

For what it is worth, you now have my $0.02

Nov 20th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

I guess what I want to know is what people think about the different places in the Keys and SoBe. I don't want to find someplace and stay a few days and then end up missing something else becuase I didn't plan. Like I said, we are mid 30's and like to have fun. If anyone has any suggestions for a 2 week itinerary I would really appreciate it, thanks!
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:31 AM

I'm about the same age and have been to Key West a few times already and am heading back on Nov 29th for a week. A couple of days in South Beach would be enough for me. Having done the drive twice and stopped along the way in Islamorada, I would say that either Islamorada or Key Lago would be a great stop for a couyple of days of fishing but they are fairly quiet at night. You may want to stop for a couple of days on the way down and a couple of days on the way back (to recover from KW nightlife). The snorkling trips in KW are great fun and the Fury Catamaran is by far the best (a mix of snorkeling and beer bash). If you want the best snorkling locations though, you will want to snorkle the Loe Key Marine Sanctuary. You can stay in KW and travel back up the keys for a day or catch it on your way down. These trips tend to be on power boats and are for more serious snorkling.

You will have fun in KW. Don't miss the beaches (they do exist) on the south side of the Island (just drive around the island once to feel it out). There is also Fort Zachary Taylor Park and Beach. Look for it on a map, it is off the beaten path, close to the US Naval Reservation and you must search for it. Not sure of your budget but I love the Coconut Beach Resort for a laid back resort but it will cost close to $200 a night. For food - don't miss Louise Back Yard - great for drinks on the deck or dinner. Kelly's has great Key Lime Pie.

Random: Make sure that you do not miss the great places a block off Duval St. The Fury Cats are also great for sunset cruises. Try to stay near Duval Street - the hotels on North Roosevelt are cheaper but that is the section of the island with all the chain retail stores etc and you will always be driving to get to something better.
Cheers,
Ed
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:52 AM
GoTravel

I'm also mid thirties and these are my opinions and why.

Key West; been there, done that, liked the place a lot better in the mid eighties. Fun for a couple of nights and then I'm ready to go. Great dining choices, outstanding restaurants for such a small town.

Islamorada; my favorite place in the Keys. Laid back fishing destination. Bars open at 9AM. The saying is true, "sleepy little drinking town with a fishing problem".

Marathon; strip malls turn me off, great bridge.

Key Largo; Alabama Jacks is the only reason we stop.

Miami; love it, colorful town.

South Beach; love hate relationship. I spend quite a bit of time there as I have family in South Beach. Love the vibrant colorful people, buildings and nightlife. Charming. On the flip side, those exact things are what I sometimes don't like. Outstanding shopping and dining.

Hollywood; perfect.

Ft. Lauderdale; great town.

Lauderdale By The Sea; one of the prettiest places on South Florida.

Palm Beach area; love Jupiter, PB, Hobe Sound, Boca etc. Great shopping and dining. My favorite place in the area is Singer Island.

Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:51 AM

I am a native Floridian and have spent oodles of time in the Keys. Though I'm an avid diver (in my 30s) and adore the Keys, I think 8 days is a bit much in Key West, specifically. If you'd like to stay in the South FL area, you may want to consider a ride over to Naples. On your way (if you like this sort of thing), you can jump on an airboat ride through the Everglades.

SoBe is very touristy and super crowded, but fun for a few days. The upper and middle Keys are just as relaxing as Key West, but far more laid back... not as many people. So, you'll more or less have the same experience in Largo and Islamorada as you would in KW.

One major consideration: accommodations. Most places in the Keys rent for a week minimum... unless you prefer hotels. Whatever you decide, you can't go wrong in Florida. Have a great time!