Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Considering the Keys for our 10th anniversary??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are considering the Florida Keys for our 10th wedding anniversary. We live in NC and will only have 4 days and 3 nights. Have USAir/United frequent flyer miles but hear we will need to fly American to avoid wasting time (given our limited time) having to travel by car if we go USAir. We are also considering some of the Carribbean islands and other quick places to get to. We have done the Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. John, Cancun and Hawaii. We like to go to places we have not been before. The Keys has been on our list but I have some bias that it may not be quite the right stop for a 10th anniversary? Any input. Here's what we like. I'm 42, she's 38, we have a 5 year old... we like to power vacation....none of this laying around the resort with the all-inclusive (what a waste) we get out and experience the restaurants and what the area has to offer. We like activities....no dull musuems, etc. but exciting stuff....and we like good beach time too. We like a nice resort. We are willing to pay a little more for that. We do not want to finally go on vacation and feel like you are this far away in a tropical paradise in a Holiday Inn (Pardon Me). We like nice pool(s), drink service by the pools, swim up pool bars, possibly nightly entertaintainment at the resort, nice grounds, nice grand lobby, nice rooms (no lime green pastels). We like a nice place! We do not what to be in a quite bed and breakfast but at a place where it is happening....not with a teenage/college age crowd but ... you know what I mean...a place full of fun and vacation excitement. A place on the water with great views is very nice. Any input with regard to (1) thoughts about if the the Keys is even right for our vacation/anniversay? (2) a place where we can be active and do more than just snorkel eat and shop...if so what would it be (3)suggestions on nice resorts to consider that may have some deals (forgot to say I just become unemployed 2 weeks ago). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:14 PM

From what you have said I think South Beach would be more to your liking. There are no swim up pool bars in Key West and the beaches are so-so. There are tons of restaurants and bars in Key West but I don't know if I would drag a 5 year old in any of the bars there.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Drake you've posted this question several times & have gotten plenty fo feedback. What new issues are there?
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 02:26 PM
GoTravel

I think he has gone from the caribbean to Key West to South Florida.

Drake, stop stressing. Find out where AA flies direct to from Raleigh in South Florida and pick a resort.

I like The Delano (South Beach, Miami), The Boca Raton Resort(Boca Raton), The Breakers (Palm Beach), The Ritz-Carlton (Naples), and the Ponte Vedra Resort (Ponte Vedra, Jacksonville).

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:02 PM

Hi Drake,
You've got to book this anniversary trip for you and your wife. Nothing will ever be exactly perfect; perfection is found only through the state of mind you have once there.
Here's my suggestion: If you are going in a warm weather season and can afford it, book The Reefs on Bermuda. (Absolute paradise.) If not, stay on South Beach and plan a (long) day trip down to the Keys. Rent a convertible for the day!
Whatever you decide, she'll love it. You will have done all the leg work for her, and you both will have some quality time together away from distractions.
Good luck with your vacation plans and your job search. Please post a trip report once you're back.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:52 PM

I'm among others who aren't sure why you've posted this question for the second time. My only response is to the above post: do NOT plan on a day trip to Key West from South Beach. At best, the trip is 4 1/2 hours...during normal heavy traffic (or with an accident along the way) it could take much longer. In other words, decide where you're going and stay there! 3 days isn't much time anyway.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

To Mclaurie, GoTravel, and SusanCS......Sorry I have aparrently caused you so much stress in reading my question or questions. I posted it first under the general regional section of the Carribbean since we are considering an island there and then I posted it under Florida since we are also considering the Florida Keys. I'm not sure where the other "South Florida" destinations are coming from GoTravel or who ever mentioned we would be taking along our 5 year old on our anniversary (and into bars!!). I guess people read/read into what they want. I could not find where my Carribbean question posted anywhere in the area where a Florida tourist reader would see my question to respond if they were only searching under the Florida region. That prompted my postiing in both places. If this has caused the 3 of you "reading pain" I am sorry. You did have the option to ignore it. But thanks for the feedback you did provide. It will help in making my "perfectionist" decision.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:07 PM

Drake, I know you you posted detailed and clear messages but you have to admit your other post DID say, "Our 5 year old is not one to stay without us", so we all thought, if he's not staying WITHOUT you, he must be staying WITH you. Hope that's all cleared up now with no hard feelings. We have it straight now: You and your wife are travelling alone together and want a romantic yet happenin' place.

I think you might like Key West for its atmosphere, amenities (though maybe not resort-y enough) and activities. American does fly there from Miami. On the other hand, depending what time of year you go, there may be crowds of college students or cruise ship passengers. The other parts of the Keys that I'm familiar with may not be what you're looking for. I agree with Myrna and others that South Beach may be more like it. Other parts of Miami Beach might work, too. I hope you get some more useful posts . . .
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:06 AM

But wait a minute... didn't he post the same question in another post but say he had concerns regarding the gay population in Key West? Maybe I'm wrong but I swore I saw it. I don't understand how you can go from being worried about others to being partiers.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Clarification Drake- "the general region" vs "florida" makes no difference when posting. There are only 2 boards to post this - the US and the Carribean so you've in essence posted TWICE on US (where amongst other things I suggested Bermuda & a post/look on the Carribean board).

We're all trying to help. I think it's time to give us some feedback on your thoughts after the suggestions that have been made
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 08:35 AM

Drake, settle down. In both posts you reference your five year old. Therefore, people would naturally assume you are bringing the child. If you are not, then it is not relevant information to your post.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 10:44 AM
GoTravel

Drake, you are not causing me any stress with your questions I was thinking you were the one stressing.

This is my general take, this has to be a quick trip because you cannot leave your child for too long. Am I correct?

My ideas for South Florida were to help you a- maximize your time, b- find somewhere fairly tropical, and c- find a resort.

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 10:44 AM
GoTravel

Forgot to add, to find your previous postings, double click on your name and it will bring up all of your posts.

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 12:44 PM

Drake, I have the feeling that you've read books or even the non forum pages of this site and have become wary of what you've learned about Key West. And, although you don't admit it above, I think you've made some postings, and the replies you've received haven't convinced you that Key West is the right destination for your anniversary trip.

You also have a rather lengthy request in your first post here, loaded with conditions and "oh ya's"...frankly, you're setting us up for failure. There's no possible way we'll be able to give you the one answer that will fulfill your expectations.

I think you're also setting you and your wife up for failure. With all of these requirements and expectations, there's no way you'll "get what you want."

Ok, enough "Dr Phil" rhetoric. Let's get down to brass tacks.

I don't think you should go to the Keys for this trip. Honestly. Key West is very "Bed and Breakfasty," "quaint," "leisurly," "liberal" and very very very GAY. It's also got a nightlife scene that people flock to - and lots of GAY NIGHTLIFE at that.

And, there are hardly any beaches in the Keys.

And you sound like you want the uber resort without the all inclusive plan. You want the swim up bar, but you don't want the free meals.

This is not Key West in my opinion. You need to find another destination. I know that's tough, because in a way that means travelling FARTHER. But I don't think you'll be satisfied in the keys. And I definitely don't think South Beach is for you.

-Darvy, the travel gal.

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:16 PM

There must be something in the water because I actually agree with Darvy for once. LOL!

My advice for you Drake is go to the Ritz in Naples. That is as close to perfection as you will find.