Please Help w/San Francisco Hotels -- Very Nice but not Break the Bank

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a hotel in/near Union Square. It does not have to be cheap -- but not $500 a night either. I'm picky about rooms (want a place that's either new or really well-maintained). Wondering if anyone has stayed at and has thoughts on the following: Campton Place, Westin Market Street, St. Francis, Meridien, Argonaut, Nikko, Omni, Mark Hopkins, Vitale. Or, if there's someplace not listed that you would recommend, please share! Thanks very much.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM

I stayed at Campton Place with good rates. The service was excellent. The rooms are nice, but small. The problem is that the rooms either face rooms of a high rise hotel across the street or don't have much of a nice view out the back. We chose to face the back. I have a reservation at the Meridien for the end of July. The rates are quite good. On our last trip in Sept, we stayed at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero. It's what you expect in a Hyatt. The room was nice and we had a water view. The location cannot be beat. I liked it better than the USq area which was nice too. I would stay here again.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Of the hotels you mentioned, the Meridien, Argonaut, Omni, Mark Hopkins and Vitale are not as close to Union Square as are Campton Place, St. Francis, Nikko even the Westin Market Street, but only the Argonaut is really "far". I personally wouldn't want to stay on Nob Hill (becuase it's at the top of a quite steep hill, with very little around it but other hotels, and upscale residences -- I prefer to be closer to the "action", like being able to walk out the front door, and have a coffee place next door -- the Mark Hopkins is definitely not that). Of the hotels you mentioned, my favorite is the Vitale because I love the neighborhood -- on the bay, across from the Ferry Bldg., walking distance to everywhere (15-20 minutes from Union Square, 25 minutes from AT&T Park and from Pier 39 in opposite directions, 10-15 minutes from Chinatown and North Beach). So, it depends how close to Union Square you really need to be.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 10:13 PM

just stayed at the vitale last weekend and loved it. i've always stayed in union square but loved being right across from the ferry bldg as i'm big into food/restaurants. highly recommended; the rooms are very nice. i've stayed at campton place also and liked it, but of the two i'd choose the vitale.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 06:00 AM

I'm in SF at least once a year on business and like the Westin on Market Street. I've found their rates to be more reasonable than other options in the area and I like that it's close to the BART station line from the airport.

The upper floor rooms that face West have a bit of a view.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 07:44 PM

When we go to SF we head to the Inn at Union Square. It's a boutique style hotel in the perfect location. They are within walking distance to everything and the service is wonderful. They treat you like family. The company I work for uses them all the time when we travel to SF. It's a little gem: http://www.unionsquare.com/index.php
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 08:03 PM
Kal

Galleria Park is one of our faves.

Got the St Francis several times on Priceline under $100.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 08:26 PM

I have stayed at the Westin on Market... its really 3rd street... and it is a good value. There is parking just a few steps away for only $25 with no in and out privledges, which is a great deal in SF! Close to BART and the Powell Street Station, I find it convenient and within walking distance to Union Square. You can find $99 deals and its clean and comfortable.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 09:09 PM

i've stayed at each of the hotels you list except Argonaut and Campton Inn, so I can't speak to those. I agree the posters who chose Vitale - it's hip and has a great location (although not in Union Square). My next choice would be Le Meridian, which at one point used to be the Park Hyatt, due it's location near the water and the Ferry Building.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 07:49 PM

Check out THE BERESFORD on Sutter. B and B style hotel. I have never stayed there but a good friend use to stay there on each visit. Easy walk to Union Square...about 3 blocks. They probably have a web site.