Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

feedback needed on list of San Francisco hotels please!

Notices

Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are going to be going to San Francisco, Napa and Sonoma in November. For the SF portion of the trip we need to stay at one of the hotels on this list. His job is paying for it and he is going to a conference at the Moscone Center. It is a long list and we can choose whichever so I am looking for feedback. any advice would be appreciated. thanks so much!!

Hotel Abri
Triton Hotel - Kimpton Hotel
Villa Florence
Parc 55 Hotel
Hotel Nikko
Serrano Hotel - Kimpton Hotel
Sir Francis Drake
Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Hilton San Francisco
Hotel Monaco - Kimpton Hotel
Marriott San Francisco Union Square
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM

Of the hotels on your list, I've only stayed (three times) at the Abri, which I totally love. Location is great, the staff is friendly and professional, their amenities are L'Occitane, and the beds are comfy.

Before you decide, check out the hotel deals at travelzoo.com. I think the Kimptons may be offering some good deals.

Also check Travelzoo for an $89 dollar rate at the Hyatt Vineyard Creek in Santa Rosa.

PS: I have no affiliation with Travelzoo.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

thanks Betsy for the tips!!! will check out the deals for the future - DH's job is paying so the cost isn't a big issue, they've just restricted where he can choose to stay.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM

I've stayed at 2 of the Kimpton Hotels on your list, the Serrano and the Monaco. Both are going to be a bit of a walk from the Moscone Center--too bad another Kimpton Hotel, the Palomar, isn't on the list. But of those 2 I'd go for the Monaco, I'd say it's a little nicer than the Serrano although both are fine. The Triton is a neat hotel but check the room size, my understanding is that they are quite small.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM

If the Marriott is the one on Fourth Street it is a block from the Moscone Center and convenient to Union Square, the Westfield Mall and the Powell Street BART station. So it would be a good base while attending the conference.

I like the Grand Hyatt where I've stayed several times. It's closer to Union Square and around a 6 block walk to the Moscone Center. There is a good parking garage across the street if you have a car rental.

As Betsy advises, travelzoo has some great deals, so you could also check there. Good luck.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM

How important is it to you to be "on top of" Moscone Center -- as noted, some of the hotels are much closer than others.

Oh, and take the Hilton off your list. It's a big convention type hotel, not in the best neighborhood, and not close to Moscone.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
TC

Used to stay at the Triton and walk to Moscone. Not a bad walk, but the Triton has gone a bit downhill of late. I don't think it would be my choice now.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM

I was just in San Francisco a few days and stayed at the Palomar Hotel, which is a Kimpton. I loved it, it was great -- it would be very convenient (convention ctr is walking distance) and it's right across the street from the Marriott (but maybe not the Marriott you have on your list which I think is called Marriott Con Center). Is the Palomar really not on your list? Well, too bad, but I would never stay in Villa Florence, it's right on that street with the cable car, what a zoo (and near the bottom).

HOtel Nikko might be okay, it's not too far from Market Street and isn't on the main street.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for the feedback!!! we booked at Hotel Abri